Rankings: Nov 16th

New rankings for the week of November 16th are up. Rafa inches closer to Fed while Nole is close on his heels. Tsonga and Soderling switch spots.

Pos Name Points Pos Moved Tourns Played
1 Federer, Roger 10,150 0 18
2 Nadal, Rafael 9,205 0 18
3 Djokovic, Novak 7,910 0 22
4 Murray, Andy 6,630 0 18
5 Del Potro, Juan Martin 5,985 0 21
6 Roddick, Andy 4,410 0 20
7 Davydenko, Nikolay 3,630 0 25
8 Verdasco, Fernando 3,300 0 22
9 Soderling, Robin 3,010 +1 26
10 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried 2,875 -1 25

A relief to see the rankings. Read an article on tennistalk that said something like Nole may overtake Rafa for the no.2 which I thought couldn’t be possible after winning Paris.

If everything goes right for Nole in London and nothing goes right for Rafa, Nole could overtake Rafa for the #2 spot.

• Zoez says:

Yes, that’s correct. If the winner in London goes through all of his matches undefeated (3 RR @ 200 each, SF win @ 400, F win @ 500), the maximum points would be 1500. If Djokovic accomplished that, even if Rafa won one RR match, Rafa would still fall to third by 5 points, I think. This is why it was so surprising to me that Rafa didn’t show more fight in his SF match in Paris. Even though he says he doesn’t care about the rankings, it would have to be a blow to fall to third for the season-ending ranking, when he had such a brilliant start to the season. And, being number three would have repercussions with the draws in next season’s tournaments, and encourage other players to feel that Rafa is even more vulnerable. It continues to puzzle me why Rafa, who has always played one match at a time (in fact, one point at a time), seems to have spent the last two tournaments looking three tournaments ahead to Davis Cup. I hope the Spanish fans can help to rebuild Rafa’s confidence in himself as a champion. It’s one thing to be able to accept defeat after a loss, but it’s an entirely different matter to accept defeat before you’ve even played the matches. I hope that dear Rafa can regain “calm” in his professional and personal life. He has worked so hard, and deserves so much.

• GB says:

I don’t think he’s spent the last three tournaments looking to DC. What he’s said is that DC’s his best chance to get a ‘teetle’ this year (because he’s not at his best and even then fast indoor hcourts are his worst ‘surfrace’).

Of course he wants to help win the DC for Spain, but he’s still giving his all in these tourneys (afterall he wants ‘good feelings’ to help him be with ‘colm’, no?). He’s not losing because he’s not trying, he’s struggling with form and confidence.

I genuinely don’t believe Rafa ever accepts a defeat before the match. How many times has he won matches where it’s totally unclear how the hell he pulled that out? How many times has he won against players who’ve owned him in the past (i.e. beating Tsonga after that awful AO match; getting a winning h2h with Blake; overcoming his being ‘nerviyous’ after loosing easily twice to Nalby by saving 5 match points at IW 09).

What I flove about Rafa is that he always fights. He’s ‘with the humble’, so his confidence comes and goes, meaning he can playing defensively. But it doesn’t mean he defeats himself, IMO.

• Zoez says:

Thanks for your reply. That’s what I love most about Rafa, too: his fight! We agree also, that the issue is confidence. What I meant was that his belief in himself seems to be low enough that he seems to anticipate defeat in some situations recently, when we’ve become accustomed to seeing him pull off miracles. That breaks my heart to see…and I hope I’m wrong. Rafa will forever be my favorite player for his heart and spirit!

• GB says:

There have been plenty of times when Rafa hasn’t been able to pull off miracles: he’s had lots of hardcourt beatdowns over the years (playing defensively and not being able to change strategy), and periods of going many months without ‘teetles’. The script was always that he was done, until he hit the clay and was able to start rolling again.

The difference is that it’s coming now after that insane period where he was so dominant –especially in his ‘improves on hardcourts’. I think maybe it was easy to assume/hope that he’d be able to pick up where he left off (with each new beatdown now showing a huge loss of prior form). But, to get to that 08 -early 09 form, it took a freakish dominance at the FO & then beating Fed at Wimby. And even then, it was that he could force himself to be aggressive more often, not that it was permanent (eg he became more defensive against Nando in the AO semi when pushed)

So it’s not really surprising that he’s struggling now given the huge difference of him ‘doopting’ his body, losing at the FO, missing Wimby etc,

It breaks my heart too because Rafa’s had enough crap to deal with this year. But, given all of that, I’m expecting it’ll take him time to find his way again. Have absolutely no expectations for the WTFs (kinda nightmarish given that it’s all players he’s struggled hugely with lately:( ) . Just hoping that a good DC could start restoring some confidence.

Also agree Rafa FTW as all time fav player!

• Atch2 says:

WOW, Nole would have to be Superman indeed to be able to acheive the maximum 1,500 points. Has anyone ever been able to do that, except maybe Fed?

• Ch F says:

I wouldn’t put anything past him at the moment, he’s very confident and he has become mentally tough as well. But didn’t he win the tournament last year? How does the point system work in relation to his performance last year? It is indeed difficult for both things to happen, ie Nole winning everything and Rafa losing everything.

2. patzin says:

Might not be the issue – but Nole’s points from Shanghai last year just dropped off with the current rankings. I thought Nole was in second but not at this time as he had 1300 pts from last year just drop.

• Delta says:

I was informed that if he took 02, he would surpass Federer and regain his #1 position, Wow if it be the case whot a way to end season! To think he started off #1 @ AO, then the injuries that would be some achievement, no? We, he can hope.

3. sia says:

Rafa would also receive points from the Davis Cup (if he wins his rubbers). Up to 500 I think.

Yes, but unless he can earn more than 100 points, he’d be better off keeping his current tour 500 results.

Q. What are the ranking rules for players who compete in Davis Cup?
      A. Davis Cup points will be awarded for the first time in 2009 for World Group and World Group playoff ties only. Points allocated are as part of the 500 point category. Davis Cup does not count towards a player’s commitment to the 500 category. The points accumulated in the four ties within the previous 52 weeks can become part of a player’s 500 category if:

1. Player has not more than three 500 results within the previous 52 weeks and Davis Cup result(s) is better than lowest best other.
      2. Player has four 500 results within the previous 52 weeks and Davis Cup result(s) is better than the lowest 500. Also, 500 0-pointers cannot be replaced.

4. faeaki7 says:

I totally agree GB. he is my alltime fave GS champion, and can take many positives from Paris, it was understandable that he started off badly it cannot have been easy having been booed off the courts there last year and what happended in RG, ever sensitive is our Rafa! but he fought his fears and doubts and his performance against Tsonga was wonderful, I love this guy!
    Hoping to catch Rafa now at the O2 and praying that he does really well, Djokovic to be too tired thus Rafa keeps his ranking IMO!
    Looking forward to watching Rafa for the Davis cup, if anything will inspire him again that will! Vamos!!!

• Atch2 says:

Hey is O2 the stadium by the Thames that has been left empty for many yrs now? and was names something else before?

• Emma says:

Yeah, the one that was the Millennium Dome. Huge apparently – I am the only person I know who has never been. Just hope it isn’t too far to see the courts from the higher seats – my Wed and Thur night were booked last minute and I am in the upper tier, unlike the other days.

Anyone know the tube link? Am just being lazy now…:)

• Atch2 says:

I remember it now. It is huge. Hope they have megahuge screens so u can close-ups of Rafa nibbling on a banana and changing his shirts.
          U lucky Londoners, pls look after Rafa and cheer on my behalf.

• Emma says:

Leaving the banana comment soooo well alone….oh my dirrrty mind:p

Actually cannot believe that I might finally, finally see Rafa live. Just to see him hit his forehand would be like Mecca for me. When I saw Federer for the first time, even though am not his biggest fan, I went all surreal like was watching it on telly. Hope I don’t zone out like that if I do see Rafa (please please please). Need the smelling salts badly.

5. johanne says:

It’s definitely gonna be interesting to see what happens with the Top 5 after London. There could be a lot of moving around.

VAMOS RAFA!

6. miri says:

More about how Rafa could (if things go better for him than they ever have at the WTF) take over the #1 from Fed.

7. g says:

Oh, I so wish it could come true that Rafa regain his #1 ranking but given his form lately, I would rather set low expectations so if things turn out better I can be happy instead of be disappointed. Unless Rafa change or improve his game, it would take a miracle for him to pull it off. But I’m praying, praying hard.

8. Sam says:

Ok, I have a question, and I apologise if someone has already asked this (there are a LOT of comments up there!!).
    But given that Nole won the Master’s Cup last year, and hence 1500 points, won’t he lose those points next week? In otherwords, for Nole to stay at #3 and simply maintain his ranking points won’t he have to win again?
    If this is the case, then Murray could be #3 by the end of the year. And of course as we all know, if Rafa wins….year end #1…again!!!!

Personally I think Nole won’t do too well as he looked knackered on Sunday and did say last week how he felt exhausted. I hope Rafa goes out guns blazing, as he has a good shot at this one.