Results and a request

So, I’ve finally put up all Rafa’s match results for which I could find record scores. When you mouse over “Results” in the top navigation bar, you should see a drop down of all the past years. I eventually want to get them into a database so that they are searchable and so I can do fun, geeky things, but right now, I’m tired of staring at them and fear there are already tons of typos in there…

And…a request for a favor: I’ve gone through each year and counted up some stats, but was wondering if someone could pick a year and count as well so that I can check my numbers. :) If you are bored and want to help out with counting, post a comment with the year you are taking and then use the contact form to send me your count. Totals I’m looking for:
Titles (per surfrace), Matches played (per surfrace), Wins (per surfrace) – I can do the math to figure the losses. Keep separate counts for singles and doubles. If you do count, don’t include Walkovers (W/O) as a win or a match played. Also, I don’t need a count for 2009 because it’s in the database so I can have it do the counting for me.

1. Lulu says:

Doesn’t the ATP site hold this information already?

If not maybe Sharko from the ATP can help?

I think the results by surface are an awesome piece of the stats to look at. Thanks taking this on!

Yeah, but I wanted it in my own database to play with. Then, I got tired of doing data input and so settled for non-database. Besides, it still feels incomplete. I did find some of the qualifying matches for tournaments he went on to play in (which aren’t included in the ATP site listing), but what about tournaments were he didn’t make it past qualifying? Did that happen and I just can’t find them because I don’t have the patience to open up the qualifying pdf for every tournament?

Erm. Yes. I’m a geek with OCD and I like to have very tiny little bit of the puzzle.

Sharko?

• An says:

If you don’t have to have it right away i’m prepared to help!
        You don’t have the input stored in an Excel spreadsheet? Because iff you happen to do its easy i think… but i guess you don’t because otherwise you probably wasnt asking for help…
        I’ll take 2008.

No spreedsheet – if I did, I could probably script pulling the matches into the database.

• An says:

Well if it helps, it lets itself copy into a spreadsheets in Excel, still have to do some input work on it to let the program count the totals you’re requesting for but it’ll make life a lot easyer…

Okay, I admit – I’m an Excel idiot. The only time I ever use it is when people send me Excel spreadsheets and I figure out how to put that data into a database.

• An says:

Heh…. We all have our strong and not so strong points… I’m an idiot wit database programms but in Excel i’m an expert..
                I have to play tennis myself tommorow but i’ll work on the counting sunday.
                If the way i think off now works its done in no time..

I’ll let you know and iff you ever need help whit Excel spreadsheets, let me know!

• Sam says:

No offence Miri, but I think you have a little too much time on your hands ;-)
        You’re doing a great job though :-)

I just have been having massive insomnia lately and have been looking for things to do while I can’t sleep (and am tired of working on baby blankets for all my preggers friends). After all, I was going to have this done right after the site went up…at the beginning of the year…and…well….yeah.

Yep, I can probably do it tomorrow. I’ll do 2007 then.

3. Ana says:

I can do 2006 if you want :)

4. sia says:

Hee hee I love that you are so geeky that you want your very own Rafa Stat base. I would love to help Miri,now that I’ve finished filming I’m in depressed mode so would love to count Rafa stats … maybe 2005?
    A good year.

5. Susanna says:

Rafa’s (and every other player’s) entire match record by year is on the ATP website. Go to rankings, then search his name. Look under rankings breakdown. You can get match facts as well.

Yeah, I know. But I want my own database so I can play with the numbers how I want to. This is just the first step. And, as I mentioned above, it’s difficult to find matches that he played as a qualifier in (during the short time he was ranked so low he needed to do that) nor do they count those in their totals. I think those matches count (heck, in some ways, they “count” more than many 1st/2nd round matches he plays these days), so I want to track down as many as I can. I’d also love to have the pre-tour matches…but I doubt I can get those.

Yes, I am a completist and a control freak.

6. sia says:

Miri, this might help:
    The ITF has more complete stats then the ATP website … this link will take you to Rafa’s play back to 2000.
    You may be able to go back further, I don’t know I just punched in 2000 arbitrarily.

Oooo….and they have a much cleaner presentation…like…maybe scrapable if I can script it correctly. Thanks! *kicks self for not thinking internationally*

7. sia says:

The way you say ‘Oooo’ about stats is so laughably cute.

8. lele says:

Miri this site is so well done. Where did you learn all this? I’d love to be able to do this also. I’m a total geek!

9. miri says:

You guys can stop counting now…I’m giving up and just putting stuff into the DB (slowly but surely) ’cause it’s driving me batty. :)

Question: Neither the ATP nor the ITF site lists the actual dates matches were played on. Anyone know a resource for that? I’d love to be able to have a “today in RafaHistory” type thing on the site.

10. sia says:

Miri,
    this is probably a betting site, but I think it lists the tournaments that Rafa has played in by date.

If you go to the bottom of the stats it says: go to last # activity and that should take you back in time ( well not actually back in time ) just further back in Rafa matches. It only gives the date of the start of the tournament so you would have to do a bit of calender work … or maybe “this week in Rafa History”. :)

Yeah, the ATP and ITF sites include the tournament start and end dates, but…it’s impossible to be 100% sure of early round dates from that. Did he start on a Monday? Tuesday? Or as late as Wednesday?

“This week” might work, though…

edit: oh, hmm…clicking through to the stats on some of those does give on the date. Am I that insane? *goes off to ponder*

They do some of the stuff I want to do with that stats, though. Thanks for the link.