Now that’s a nifty trophy

Biting another one

JOSEP LAGO/ AFP/ Getty Images

On Oct. 22nd, Rafa will receive a full-sized replica of the Trofeo Conde de Godo – the huge trophy given out for the Barcelona tournament. He’s being bestowed this honor because he’s the only player in the history of the tournament to win it five times. (Source/Google Translation)

No word on how he’s going to fit that huge sucker into his trophy case…

I think he’s gonna have to build a new house just to house that mega trophy. Heck it’s probably heavy and big enough to use as an anchor.

2. sia says:

For some reason this delights me … so much. I think he is very proud of this accomplishment.
    I know people want him to stop playing this tournament but I think it is one of his favs (it’s that stupid Madrid Masters thing with the blue courts and the dumb model ball bimbos that he should be able to miss … but can’t of course because it is worth 1000 points and played in Spain’s capital) … whoops didn’t mean to go off on a rant.
    Congratulations Rafa!

3. johanne says:

So cool! That trophy rocks!

Wow, that’s great! He so deserves it. And might that mean we’ll get to see some trophy biting within the next couple of days?

Rafa, I hope it doesn’t end up stored in the garage… ;)

• An says:

No…. Sure not, he finds a nice place for all his trophys, No?

• nic says:

Ooo I didn’t think of that CC, that Rafa would be biting a trophy again!! That’s a nice thought. Might make him hungrier for the taste of more metal! :D

Sweet sweet Rafa, I think this is wonderful that they chose to give him this full size trophy, such an honour, and a wonderful time to do it, when he should feel appreciated, loved and encouraged. Aaww Rafa, wish I could go give you a big hug!!

Btw I went by the tennis club on my touring Barcelona, and they mentioned that that’s where the annual Conde de Godo is held, and I wasn’t really paying attention, but the second it registered, I was like, where, OMG, let me down from this bus, I need to go there and kiss the ground where Rafa has made so much history!! And then we were way down the road already moving on to Park Guell :(

5. Carol says:

Now what a wonderful, positive thing for Rafa! He really, really deserves this! (cyberhug & kiss to Rafa)…

Hee, hee, this will need a cabinet all to itself… Lordy it must be the size of a handbaisin. Or will it go in his bedroom a la the RG tropies?

Just hope he doesn’t leave *this* one in his car to get pinched – but I’m sure he won’t do that again!

There’s so much dismal about Rafa out there at the moment that this is a real delight to see.

Perhaps more than ever, he’ll want to make it 6 in 2010? VAMOS!

6. Paolina says:

I like this trophy! It’s RAFA’S!!! :)

7. miri says:

Aww, per Rafa’s site:

Before the trophy presentation, Rafa will spend some time playing tennis with young kids from the Royal School of Tennis.

8. Ana says:

I hope Rafa plays this tournament in 2010! I want to see him :)

I have classes today, but I have the feeling that I’m going to skip that and make a trip to the Tennis Club… maybe I can see Rafa :)

9. faeaki 7 says:

Rafa is wonderful and very deserving of this trophy!

10. faeaki 7 says:

remarkable Rafa and very deserving of this trophy too!

11. Ana says: