Rankings – October 19th

This week’s rankings are out and, for a change, there’s actually a good bit of movement in the top 10.

Pos Name Points Pos Moved Tourns Played
1 Federer, Roger 10,805 0 19
2 Nadal, Rafael 9,095 0 18
3 Djokovic, Novak 7,950 +1 22
4 Murray, Andy 7,390 -1 19
5 Del Potro, Juan Martin 6,315 0 22
6 Davydenko, Nikolay 4,700 +2 25
7 Roddick, Andy 4,690 -1 21
8 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried 4,040 -1 25
9 Verdasco, Fernando 3,400 0 23
10 Soderling, Robin 3,285 +1 26

1. Eliana says:

I’m just amazed that even losing almost all of the Roland Garros points, and losing all of the Olympics and Wimbledon points, Rafa is still so”close” to Fed.

The ranking for the top 4 looks familiar.

3. mary says:

Yeah Atch2 same old same old but not for that much longer I hope. Btw gals if you go to the ranking site as miri has posted before you can see each player and their individual points system. It shows when the points will be dropped.
    This is Rafa’s
    This is Fed heads

• mary says:

Rafa has a total of 250 points to lose from the Paris masters come the 2nd Nov. While Fed will lose a total of 950 points for the rest of the season. So technically if Federer wasnt’ able to defend his points & this seems unlikely, Rafa could catch up & pass him especially if he plays in the Davis cup finals & wins!
      Time will tell.
      Don’t ask me why but I think the end of the season will be Rafa’s coming out. His momentum is building & one or 2 wins against top players & Rafa will be back to himself. I’m praying anyway!! :)

4. Thorfrost says:

What has been classed as a disaster season by journalists who expected Rafa to continue on like a machine, these rankings show just how formidable he was pre Madrid!!!
    Also happy to see Nole back at NO 3 :)

5. Zoez says:

And, Rafa has played FEWER tournaments than anyone in the top 10. Considering that quite a few of those tournaments have been played while he’s building back up to form after injury, I’m even more amazed at his success. Those press conferences must be torture for him, with the constant questions about his injuries, when it would be so much better for him mentally to be able to focus on what he has accomplised. I know it’s unpopular to offer criticism of Uncle Toni. But, I think Toni has done more than enough already to keep Rafa humble. Those lessons have been learned and are a part of Rafa now. It’s about time his team helped remind Rafa that he can not only lose to anyone, he can also BEAT anyone. He’s a champion and should be able to carry that belief into every match.

6. Rafafan says:

Zoez. I agree with you about Uncle Toni. I think he seems to give Rafa a hard time – and not giving him enough confidence in himself to say “I am one heck of a player and I am gonna beat anyone”.I know Toni wants Rafa’s feet firmly on the ground (of course Toni knows Rafa inside out – so perhaps Rafa has got a stubborn, AWOL streak. well you know what he is like on his playstation, and god when he celebrated after the Blake win – he looked totally out of control!! It was quite scarey). But it would be good if Rafa can think as a winner all the time rather than his back against the wall fighting.The rankings have surprised me. Didn’t realise Rafa was so close. If he had won Shanghai i guess that would have been another 400 points. If he plays Valencia – 250 or is it 500 points. Is Fed playing there? And then 1000 for Masters and not sure how much for Barlcays ATP at 02.

Wouldn’t that just be amazing to cap all the shit our Rafa has had this year by gaining no1 and shut up all those journalists and media hounds. Vamos x

• xta says:

i can’t see fed playing valencia, since it’s at the same time as basel…if he plays, he’ll play basel…
      i agree with everyone who hopes rafa plays valencia…apparently djoker and delpo will be playing basel…don’t know anything about murray…

7. Sofia says:

Djokovic is play Basel. Murray is playing Valencia.