1. patzin says:

I’ve read when an opponent has injury time out, it is sometimes confusing for the opposing player when returning to continue the match. I think this is true based on how Rafa played the last game of the second set. Questions: will they retire or keep going. In this case IL received 2 treatments minutes apart. Reminds me of Rotterdam in February when Rafa continued playing even though he couldn’t serve effectively. Rafa does his best to honor the tournament and his opponent.

• An says:

It sure is!
      Verry hard to stay focused because you are also looking on what youre opponent is doing and how he is doing…

“Rafa does his best to honor the tournament and his opponent.”

Yes, but there clearly would have been no point in Ivan (love that name!) playing on here. If you can’t move, you can’t play tennis. I felt for Ivan.

2. Ch F says:

So nice that Rafa asked what was wrong in the end and was quite chatty about it…He seemed genuinely concerned. Such a gentleman.

Watching this match I actually found Ivan’s personality around the court quite unsettling. He seemed so calm and harmless especially when he looks older than his 30yrs, and then he would just serve these deadly aces and hit those beautiful backhands with little emotion.

Shame the vid doesn’t show some of the great rallies in the 2nd set.

They should do away with those net calls on serves. If the ball touches the net but is in, just let play continue. The game will flow better.

• nic says:

I totally agree with you about Luby. He was creeping me out! And scaring me that he was just killing it in the first set, all with a very stoic face. I know, everyone behaves differently on court, just that he did make me feel strangely uncomfortable! Weird (to quote CC from another post :)

• An says:

I dont agree with you on the net calls on servers…

Do you play tennis youreself? If so, don’t you find it verry anoying when a opponent nearly faults but the ball just rolls over the net, lets say on a game, set or matchpoint??
      I can tell you how unfair that feels so if we let play continue when even servers that touch the net-cord wil be called good, well i think i have to stop playing tennis because it would def give me a haert attack one day! So unfair!