Calendar and results tweaks

When I started to put next year’s tournaments into the database, I decided to tweak a few things in the calendar and results display – partly because I’m getting nowhere with allowing WordPress to let me overwrite url parameters so that I can let you guys see the next year’s calendar. Anyone got any ideas?

On the calendar, the “result” indicator is not a link that will take you to that tournament’s listing on the results page. Not a big improvement, but kind of nice if you want to do a quick check on the matches played in that tournament. I’ve also added a color-coding indicator of what tournaments Rafa was entered to play, but had to withdraw. You might need to do a “shift+refresh” on the page to clear the old style sheet out of your cash to see the new color coding.

On the results page, the doubles partners are now listed. It’s always bugged me that they weren’t there, but I never got around to adding them.

Since I’ve spent the day staring at the calendar, I’ve noticed a few things…Rafa’s lowest finish in any tournament he played was the round of 16. Not shabby. And, not counting Davis Cup, he withdrew from 4 tournaments this year – that’s all. Yes, one of them was the grand-daddy of all tournaments, but other than that, he’s just missed two completely optional 250s and an optional 500. Again, not bad. His match record for the year? 57 wins and 9 losses for a win/loss ratio of 86%. Again, not bad. The rest of the top 5: Fed 55-8 (87%); Murray 58-9 (87%); Djokovic 63-17 (79%); Del Potro 49-12 (80%).

Be with colm.

1. SapphireSwell says:

Well said, Miri! I think he is doing quite well for himself, despite injuries and scares. He said, it’ll come down to confidence and mental preparation in the end, so maybe he needs another reminder of what he has achieved this year.

Miri, maybe you can send him a text or something during his scheduled “Whot?” break later tonight ;)

2. Courtney says:

Haha, sounds like a good plan! :) Atta boy!

3. miri says:

Oh, and proving that I’m an uber geek, the results page will now calculate his win/loss percentage and total time spent on court.

Even in a bad yr ur results are still to be envied Rafa.

And u lost me in the first paragraph. I luv this site but I do not know how u do it. I wish I could help u. I think u r a genius and I applaud u for everything on this site. I do not understand the behind-the-scenes mechanics of these links, url parameters etc. and I know I take advantage that they r there.

Suggestion for the future: flashing neon lights and dancing cheerleaders with pom poms next to the tournaments Rafa has won?

5. kefuoe says:

Since you asked…
    I love the calendar you have on this site. It’s very useful. The one thing that I’ve found myself wanting to know when I look at it, is the number of points Nadal is defending in a given tournament (or else how he did the previous year). I know where to find that information, but I have found myself clicking away from your site to find it (and it takes a couple of clicks to reach it on the ATP site).

Just a suggestion. I know that it’s also not good to have too much information on a single page.

How about points earned? It’s a field I meant to add, but never did. I don’t know about doing the defending since tournaments don’t often line up. For example, this week points from 2008 Madrid will drop…but this year Madrid was played in spring.

BTW, I went ahead and added the points. Please shift+refresh on the page to get the new styles that go along with them.

What I love the most about his calendar for the next few weeks is the gap between playing Shanghai and Paris. Thank you for considering my holiday, Rafa.
    If the weather is nice I will meet you in Porto Cristo, no? We will use the swimming pool.
    If it’s raining, I will come to Manacor. You will show me your gym, your trophy collection and then your bedroom. Deal…? It’s a deal.

• Atch2 says:

u r going on holiday alone CC?
      Don’t forget Rafa has a jetski too.

• An says:

Ah CC, big chance that he’s comming over to Mallorca between Shanghai and Paris, No?
        Where better to sleep off your jetlag then at home. Lucky you!

Enjoy… and be sure to tell us all about it!

No, not alone. But BF can join in as well, no? :D

• Atch2 says:

Assuming Rafa and BF r both ok with it?!

If Rafa takes u to the basement hangout, pls share the photos.

7. faeaki 7 says:

Interesting and just checking the clay tournies after he was injured in Miami, he still only dropped 1 set from Montecarlo-Barc-Rome, and he wasn’t 100%, how many players can do that?
    This is what Rafa has to reflect upon, and he’s awsome achievement at the A/O! (he shouldn’t have played that Rotterdam) he finds the surfrace fast every round he had to play 3 sets to win, it was crazy!
    He has overcome Nalbandian this year at Indian wells, great achievement too. If he can beat Blake again tommorow *please Rafa*, then he will own that h-h. Step it up Rafa!

8. mary says:

Muchas gracias miri. This is great especially when from time to time you wanna see the stats & total games Rafa has played. Rafa someone should show you these stats. You can hold your head up high, to miss so much tennis & still come out as numero dos, makes one excited for the remainder of the year & next year.