Shanghai draw

Photo by Beth Wilson

Photo by Beth Wilson

The draw is finally up. Rafa’s will play the winner of Blake/Karlovic for his first match. Seeds in his half are: Tsonga, Del Potro, Soderling, Verdasco, Monfils, Robredo, and Ferrer. Seeds on the other half of the draw are Djokovic, Roddick, Davydenko, Simon, Gonzalez, Cilic, Stepanek, and Haas.

Oh, God… Ah, well… It looks pretty tough on paper, but you never know, no? (I really must stop this “no?” business, I swear I’ve started doing it in work emails as well…)

Vamos Rafa!

• vamsi says:

u r right the draw is tough
      as far as the “no” is concerned let it be
      it will tell everyone u r a rafa fan

• Sam says:

LOL….I have got into a really bad habit of saying “You never know, no?” with a Rafa-style accent. My friends and colleagues have accepted that I have gone insane now.

2. marla says:

Yeah, commented on this earlier – the draw IS tough. However, I felt a little better when i made my picks. I’ve not a great record at this, but when I made my picks the tougher ones will magically disapper. I have Nadal and Roddick in the final. Maybe, maybe, just once I can win the draw :))))

3. Courtney says:

The Spaniards always seem to be on the same side of the draw… weird.

S**t!
    But tennis is a bit weird towards the end of the yr. We never know who’s going to get thru. As long as Rafa is healthy and trying, that’s all that should matter.

• mary says:

Yeah, but our man is quite hard on himself though. He is his worst critic. Miri reminded me once that a tennis ball is a funny creature it has a way of bouncing differently on any point on any surface. So no one can predict who will be the favourites. It is on the day & how well each player performs. So Rafa hope you’ll find your court savvy by Shanghai & be 200% fit. :) ;)

5. RC says:

Don’t forget Tennis Channel is showing all the Shanghai matches from beginning to end. Live too! Just FYI to all. It certainly is going to be interesting how he comes into this tourney. Not much time to refocus and he gets one of the hard ball hitting blasters (Blake or Dr. Evo!) right off. Ughhhh. Anyway on to Rafa’s end of the year march to restore confidence tour.

6. Carol says:

The word interesting comes to mind…
    This was said of a different sport,(footie)but “it’s a funny old game”… Let’s adjust the socks, pull at the shorts, get the water bottles set up and go for it!

And as for our Rafa, “For he will do, As he do do, And there’s no doing anything about it!” VAMOS!

(Not that Rafa is as contrary as Rum Tum Tugger – and certainly no refusing fish :-0 )

7. Rafafan says:

I think our rafi has gonna have 2 pull hs finger out now. Novak has just won against cilic – 6-2 7-6. wasnt working on atdhe.net so dunno if cilic became mr inconsistent again. (I hate it that everyone ups their level and playn their a game when rafa plays them) and then drops.I take the view now that rafi played beijing like at montreal – easing back into it (hence lack of serve, confidence, focus after abd inj) b4 the big 1 in shangahai – just like at us.

Novak passed murray for no 3 and now he won beijing and if he wins shanghai and rafa goes out early – 1st round? well it is blake or Ivor he up against? could he potentially lose no 2?can’t bear the thort he will lose – i want him biting those trophies with that beautiful smile and gleaming teeth – Uncle Tony, we need yr help – any1 know if toni will b at shanghai?

• Ch F says:

OMG! Let’s not think like that, he will not go out in the first round. Just read and saw a pic of Djoko imitating Rafa in biting his trophy when the Chinese challenged him to do his famous imitations. Terrible. I need to see the real thing right away.

8. alik says:

As long as rafa can just get some good match play in without hurting himself i’m happy and i know that he will be too.

I’m not looking for rafa to win this tourney.If he can just defend his points from last yr.i know that he will be happy.

One match at a time rafa.

9. faeaki 7 says:

Yeah it wasn’t just that he lost to Cilic it was the score line that was worrying! and then he loses to Djokovic after cruising past Rafa 2-6 6-7 he didn’t even win a set!

I didn’t see any of Rafa’s matches but reading some of the matches on here it seems to many unforced errors(mistakes) by Rafa! and to say he wasn’t really there mentally against Cilic is very unNadalike! Really worried about our beloved champ, will he ever regain his awsome form? *sobs @ thought*

• Debbie says:

He will be back. I don’t know where Rafa is mentally, but he will get it together sooner or later. I really want him to be fit for Davis Cup. If he can help Spain win the final it will be huge for his confidence.

Blake just beat Ivo in a 3-set, 1hr 54min match where Ivo served 27aces.

• mary says:

I can’t say that it is a good or bad thing that blake won. Karlovic probably would have been the better player for Rafa to face. He may have a big serve but there isn’t much else happening. Hope Rafa will come out guns blazing. Blake will be on a bit of a high so Rafa’s got to squash that immediately. Vamos, Vamos!!!!!!!

Tue’s OOP is out. Rafa’s not playing Tues, but Blake is playing doubles. Hewitt is playing Isner, so that should be an altitude challenge.

I appreciate the effort to notify people, but the oop for the current tournament is always on the home page – no need to link to it separately.

12. Zoez says:

Until Miri has a chance to post it, here is the link to a TennisTV interview with Rafa as he starts Shanghai tournament. He doesn’t sound discouraged.

13. Rafafan says:

God. he is such a cuty utterly melt in yr mouth, delicious.

After this interview it seems like that
    cilic match was years ago! He actually looks and feels pretty
    confident here – particulary saying about hs health. needs a few more practice matches but heah he looks on form in the interview and hopefully on court. secretly I think he prefered blake to ivor – he won last week and couldnt bear ivor bombing down 72 aces? that was his record recently – ok it was 20ish 2day.

see also latest news about the atp long season – he really is sending them out a warning.

How cool is Shanghai?! They have an Order of Practice schedule on their official website and it looks like Rafa booked 1-1.5hrs today.