Pre-tournament presser

Photo via tennis.com.cn

Photo via tennis.com.cn

Here’s a transcript of Rafa’s pre-tournament presser. Excerpts:

Q: It’s been a tough year in terms of injury which meant you took time away from the game. Do you feel any fresher?

A: It’s been a more difficult year for me because I had an injury of the knee and then the stomach, abdominal injury in the US Open. Results are good. I’m happy being number two and very happy to have 3 master series and one grand slam. Important for me to finish the year as good as possible and try to be ready for the Davis Cup final for my country-have time to practice to be ready for next year.

I certainly hope he finishes the year strong.

Q: You obviously took time off after the U.S. Open after abdominal injury, how do you feel now? Are you fit and ready to go?

A: I hope so, I hope I’m ready now, it’ll be good. But after one year like this, you are always a little bit scared.

Just don’t be so worried you are tight and then make things worse. Not that you’d do such a thing, but still.

Q: Follow up question: some people say your style of tennis makes you more prone to injury- so aggressive- is that something you’ve thought about changing?

A: A lot of people have a lot of opinions. There’s a lot of talk, but you know what, I started being professional tennis player at 16 years old. So that’s probably not the best time to start when your body is not completely done. I have had seven years under my belt already- I think that’s a very long career already, no? Lots of players start at 21 and finish at 29. I’ve played the last five years without going out of number one or number two, except one week this year, so if you’re not fit and your body is not in good conditions its impossible to be five years in the top two. Everybody said that in 2005, and we are in 2009 and I’m still at the same number. I always work hard to be okay, and that’s what I’m going to do all my career, and yeah, I have aggressive style of game, but I think no one can choose what style to play. I do all in my hands to play my best tennis, sure I would love to serve like Karlovic and volley like Federer, but my game is another. I’m happy with my game. With my game I have a very good career right now. If I play 3 more years 3 more years…1 more year, 1 more year…10 more years, 10 more years…but it’s impossible to say right now that I’m going to change the style of the game.

That’s the longest, “Oh STFU already” ever.

Some photos here.

Ah, the pic is hilarious, I LOVE the hair crazy and wild!

“…I started being professional tennis player at 16 years old.So that’s probably not the best time to start when your body is not completely done.”
    I don’t know why, but those lines make me HOT. I truly am pervy, no? :)

Apart from that, pretty standard. Vamos Rafa for end of season!

2. Thorfrost says:

I love messy hair…even more so when it’s on Rafa…lovely.

3. johanne says:

LOVE the STFU answer! “I’m happy with my game. With my game I have a very good career right now.” Uh yeah, I’d say your career has been dece. ;)

Btw all those presser pics are HOT!

• dutchgirl says:

That’s what I wanted to say! Hopefully they will shut up about it, but somehow I *doopt* it.
      Why don’t the journalists ever see things in perspective? If they’d look at what Rafa has achieved already!!

OMG, I missed the other photos earlier. Looks like the whole collection pictures Rafa when he’s just woken up and realised what happened the night before… ;) He looks amazing, as per usual.

5. An says:

HE.IS.HOT……

Do you know why i wanna go fidgeting with Rafa’s hair?

6. Carol says:

Hee, hee, well done Rafa! “A lot of people have a lot of opinions.” And that’s just what they are: only our Man knows the truth.

And his hair looks just like he’s woken up late and jumped out of bed to rush to the presser… How cute and hottie he is… *sighs*

I’ll tidy it up for you, anytime, Rafa. Just put me on speed dial ;-)

7. mary says:

Oh Rafa you gave it to em bb. And yep you summed it up miri “Oh STFU already”. I bet thats exactly what he was thinking. Can’t these journo’s get off this fucking merry-go-round & ask some bloody interesting questions.
    Sorry CC the secret is out about the messy hair, I can no longer hold back. It was me, I fidgeted with his hair all night along with other stuff I can’t repeat. ;D

Great collection of photos. Very expressive Rafa. Very wild hair Rafa. U can tell he is bored and pissed off at the template questions. Luv the playing-with-lips ones especially.

Rafa, although u r the only one that can pull off the Einstein look and look Rafadorable, u should try a comb/brush rather than ur fingers sometimes.

9. Ch F says:

I really hope his abds are ok and that he really means it. And I also hope he doesn’t take a lot of time to find his game again, given that the absence has been shorter this time. Pics are great, indeed. Here’s to an injury-free victorious Rafa tournament!!!

10. faeaki 7 says:

Yes I am praying for Rafa to have no more injury problems.

He really needs to get his confidence back, winning here would help! Gonna be really tough though, just depends on his level right now. Vamos Rafa!!!

11. faeaki 7 says:

Love the pics they really show off his lovely jawline, perfect dark eyebrows and dark eyes, very nice!!!

12. SapphireSwell says:

This fluffy, short mane is growing on me :)

And yes, he looks a bit sleepy and bored at the presser.

*Happy belated Mid-Autumn Festival! Wonder if Rafa got any Mooncake yesterday. Knowing that he has a sweet tooth, I’m sure he’d love them.*

13. Lou Lou says:

“volley like Federer” Dunnu why, this made me snort! Coz no doopts, Fed maybe like the god of volleying or whatever – but it mostly comes undone against Rafa’s Mega GODLY Topspin!

Most I’ve Seen Fed come to the net was in Madrid Finals this year — and well lets face it, the fact that Nadal even showed up for the Finals after the 4 hrs marathon the previous day, and managed to win 8 games! … Sorry – Rambling!

Whatever, LOVED the Loong, STFU response by Rafa.

Go Rafa Go!Go win the grey/blue urn like trophy!

14. patzin says:

I love this answer which = I am who I am – that is it! And, I am happy being me.

• Mim says:

Nicely put Patzin :).

You guys pretty much covered the presser perfectly. Great points and observations….

I love you guys :D