Tummy update

Photo by Beth Wilson

Photo by Beth Wilson

According to this article, Rafa’s tummy is a-okay.

Rafael Nadal has recovered from injury and made himself available for Spain’s Davis Cup final against the Czech Republic in December.

Nadal underwent successful medical tests in Barcelona on Wednesday that showed the 23-year-old Spaniard was ready to return for the first time since his U.S. Open semifinal.

He also confirms his appearance at the China Open.

“I’d personally like to be in Copenhagen but I had to follow the tennis calendar which made it impossible,” Nadal said. “I know how much work has gone into this bid and I know we deserve to win.”

Nadal said he would resume his planned schedule starting with next week’s China Open, before traveling to the Shanghai Masters, the Paris Masters and the ATP World Tour finals in London.

Wohoo!!! Well, that’s a good new.
    And playing DC? Gosh, now I’m really tempted to go. How can I get out of going to Christmas market that weekend?!

I know, I’m so tempted as well. Travelzoo didn’t help by sending me a notice of a discount at a fancy Barcelona hotel!

• An says:

And me… also so tempted!

Why is it in BF’s birthday weekend… Do you think he would see trough me if i offered him a trip to Barcelona for his birthday ( asuming its played in Barcelona ) and say: o, i forgot, DC final is played there, you know how much tennis means to me, lets go and see it!!

• SapphireSwell says:

Haha, I saw that deal too and clicked on it to find out more… I think it comes with a free boat tour or something like that – silly.

Easyjet London Gatwick to Barcelona, £60 that weekend. Just sayin. But I really can’t.

2. An says:

BTW, great New, off course..

Only good New today!

3. johanne says:

Huzzah! Can’t wait to see another Rafa match! My favorite kind. :)

4. faeaki 7 says:

This is fab news, is the Davis cup going to be in Barcelona? that would be awsome! especially if Rafa is playing, I so hope so, gotta look after those injuries Rafa..
    Can’t wait to see Rafa tennis again, its one of a kind. Vamos indeed!!!

5. kayM says:

Yup, the official site has confirmed this:

RAFA NADAL WILL PLAY IN PEKIN

6. dk says:

Yeah – Rafa is playing almost everything, it seems. I am sure that other players, or fans of other players, will start saying that there was more to it than just injuries why Rafa did not play Wimbledon. Otherwise, why play so many tournaments if he is committed to playing less (as he said) to concentrate on the majors?

• Atch2 says:

I think Rafa is playing Beijing as a warmup to the Shanghai Masters. They’re both in the same country, so not so much time changes and travel times to adjust to.

7. Rafafan says:

With the inclusion of Rotterdam as well Rafa is now getting pelters from his fans on most websites because he is not cutting down on his schedule and concentrating on the majors – quite the opposite in fact. You only have to look at the BBC 606 debate – nadal recovers for Beijing return and Eurosport Nadal, Djokovic confirm Rotterdam to see the comments. As much as we want to see Rafa in every tournament the feeling is quite the reverse “Oh no – not another tournament. Is he going to be injured and over excert himself”? Dunno who decides the schedule, I suspect Rafa in the end as we know how stubborn he is. Stupid boy. He has admitted mistakes and will learn – oh yes! (USO knew he was injured. Would’nt do a test coz he wanted to play no matter what – and now abd tear! which has now caused to start from scratch with his serve). And I hear he might be playing doubles with Novak too in tournaments. Maybe he could have done Japan and China at the same time – hoping over from one to the other. Oh and he was due in Copenhagen today for the Olympic 2016 bid but sadly had to pull out. Who an earth does this scheduling! Don’t get me wrong, I am the biggest Rafa fan going but this is absured and Rafa is “crying wolf” which will discredit him in the end. Let’s hope it all works out and I am staying positive and optimistic as I can. Longevity in his career rather than cramming everything in a short career is the name of the game!

• dk says:

Yes, more consternation from fans. Does Rafa ever read the fan mail on this site? It would be good if he did.
      I hear thaet some of the tournaments give quite a bit of money (over and above the prize money) to some of the top players just for participating so maybe that’s the issue. I don’t know though why Rafa would commit despite the “participation” money – it’s not like he is short of cash with his large endorsements with Nike, etc.

• An says:

I don’t think the money is an issue at all…

I think he just wants to play tennis and what he also wants and needs is for us, his fans and all the press, to shut up about injuries!
        Please, i beg, let him and his team decide and let us the fans trust theire decisions and let us love seeing him play tennis.

As i said, its not that i don’t worry for his health but i realy thinks he needs to feel the trust and the support from his fans, especcialy from his Rafanatics, when he does decide to play. Thats what makes him happy.

I’m with you and behind you Rafa, Buena Suerte in Beijing.
        VAMOS

• Atch2 says:

Agree.
          And for the rest of 2009, the schedule is pretty light. He’s hungry to compete again and we’re hungry to watch him compete. If the dr says his tummy is good to go and so do the rest of his camp, that’s good enough for me. Beijing will be a good warmup to test his movement and practice his Uncle Toni inspired serves.

8. johanne says:

Concentrating on the majors doesn’t mean only playing the majors.

But…but…why use logic when you can work yourself into a tizzy over something you can’t control or influence?

• dk says:

Yes, so what is your point? I don’t think I said that he will or should play only the majors.

• johanne says:

First of all, my post wasn’t a reply directed at you. Secondly, my point is what I said the first time: concentrating on the majors doesn’t mean only playing the majors. He’s playing the required 500 tourney after the USO as a tune-up to Shanghai.

What’s your point?

• dk says:

My point is exactly what I said: “concentrating” on majors so I don’t know why you repeated it in the first place rather than adding something new (unless you are refuting what I said).

I think that, perhaps, the problem is “concentrating on majors” seems to mean different things to different people. To some people, it almost seems to mean he shouldn’t play anything but and every tournament he enters outside the majors means he’s not “concentrating” on them. Me? I don’t think that the idea of concentrating on them is anything new to the average top-level tennis player, so I wasn’t expecting that much of a change in his scheduling based on that statement.

• johanne says:

Whaaaaaa? I literally don’t understand what you’re talking about or why you’re so pissy.

9. Rafafan says:

See utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hSum3yLey

(RN 31/10/2008 Rafa abandona en Paris-Bercy.-RTVE)

If you listen carefully our dear Rafi says himself

“with the calendar gonna play 2 more year”.

Help – does he mean the tournament that he is in – Paris indoor for two more years (which incidentally he will playing this year) or does he mean he is gonna play 2 more years of tennis and that’s it! or he is gonna change his scheduling in 2 years – which I guess makes it 2010.

God I hope he doesn’t mean the second interpretation.

Glad the tum tum is better. Look forward to his swinging serve and those aces

*reads comments about Rafa’s calendar*
    *thinks about it for ten seconds*
    *shrugs shoulders*