2010 Rotterdam

According to this article, Rafa and Nole have confirmed their participation in next year’s Rotterdam tournament.

Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic will play in next year’s World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam, tournament director Richard Krajicek told a news conference on Wednesday.

Spanish world number two Nadal reached the final on his debut appearance earlier this year, losing to Britain’s Andy Murray in three sets.

The ATP 500 event will be played from Feb 8-14.

(Of course, they also say last year was Rafa’s first time to play the event…)

1. Kate says:

errr hopefully he won’t have played 3 clay court tournaments before!

2. ekattor says:

is it really THAT important rafa????

3. An says:

I know its selfish, sorry in advance.

But this “NEW” makes my day… So you DO want to have a chance to be close to me for one week too, hey Rafa?

Oh, you’d better start planning your week together, no? :)

• dutchgirl says:

Mine as well, An. My husband emailed me the news when I was at work. It was chaos today at work and very stressy, but I almost jumped of joy when I read it and nothing bothered me from that moment on.
      I already have tickets for Rotterdam, so you can imagine how happy I am.

• dutchgirl says:

Oh, and I hope Nole and Rafa will play doubles there!

• natch says:

Why don’t you sign up to play mixed doubles with Rafa? You don’t need to tell him that the “mixed” part will take place at your house, when you send your husband out on an errand. ;)

• An says:

Ah Natch, you are full of good idea’s….

Think Rafa knows they are not playing mixed doubles there since its not a tournament in wich women play? Hell its worth the try!

• dutchgirl says:

*So you give me a paper I can sign, I gonna sign!*

And you will let us know about it, no?

5. Rafafan says:

Beijin, Shanghai, Paris, ATP 02, Davis Cup, A0 Rotterdam, clay season

Can someone tell me where he has cut his schedule. If you are talking about 2010 how come he has added Rotterdam like last year! when he hobbled as a finalist and could only play on one leg in the final against Murray. Does our boy ever listen!

What an earth is going on with the serve. Can anyone explain? I know not to press on his abds so much but surely this will really affect him – or is it a way he will get a stronger serve?

• dk says:

I agree with you. What the heck is going on? While I like Rafa as a person and as a tennis player, I am beginning to question some of his talk. Why does he need to play Rotterdam? I believe he needs to enter only one 500 tournament, 8 Masters events and the 4 majors so I am not sure how much sympathy I’ll have for him when he cries about his knees again… Come on Rafa, we want you to win the majors first and foremost.

ATP requires 4 500 level tournaments – one of which must be after the USO. Rules. Rotterdam is a 500.

• dk says:

Thanks for pointing out the rules.
          Rafa had said that he will play less to focus on the majors so why not take the zero point penalty for some or all of the 500 events and focus on the majors? Knees anyone?

6. patzin says:

So much for a somewhat shorter schedule. I thought Rotterdam was one of the events not required and too close to Oz. Good grief, what is going on? Also if he plays, maybe doubles with Nole would be good. I don’t know.

7. faeaki 7 says:

Well he did commit to Thailand(bangkok) but he didn’t play so who knows I would like to see him cut back on these smaller events. Its such a fast court there in Rotterdam, not the surface that really bodes well for Rafa. One thing though the fans went wild for him there last year, Rafa mania at its best!!!

Did the Krajicek guy personally fly over 2 lobby Rafa again? Hope not bec that’s like emotional blackmail. We know Rafa feels bad sayg no. But if he really plays, i hope he wins AO 10 in 3set matches b4hand.

• dutchgirl says:

It says in a Dutch newspaper today that Rafa only confirmed his participation in Rotterdam after he found out that the Davis Cup matches in March are in Spain, so he didn’t have to travel that much. So I think he would have said no if it would have been USA or something.

9. Rafafan says:

This is getting crazier by the minute with his scheduling and for sure I don’t think he is 100% fit. Isn’t Beijing a 500 ATP tournament and its after US? I think Rafa is going to use this like Montreal as a practising competition to see how his next comback will be with the new serve.

Let him have the penalty points – he has to cut down in 2010.

I just came across an article from the Bleacher report posted today called “Grinding to the top to steep a price?” and it’s all about the rise and fall of Nadal. It makes very scary reading.

What with the stress fracture in the foot (2005), blisters, knees, abdominal, now changing of serveto avoid injury, blisters in the fingers, I really do think he is not taking care of his body. He is making the mistakes all over again. Remember he said something about the Abs – he would play more or less if it kills him unless it was impossible to play – ie. broken foot/leg. Now his body is starting to go into melt down and we cant let our boy get like that. Can anyone tell him on his website or have any influence and tell Tony. His fans need to know what’s going on. As much as we want him to play in every tournament I am not sure now what to believe when he says he is 100% (or not)

• An says:

I think we should not over-react.

He’s a tennis player, he can only be a tennis player by playing tennis.

Ok, he’s had a bad year with a lot off injury’s but the true is that other guys have injurys too and have bad years too and are we saying that theyre bodys are melting down?

Don’t get me wrong, i worry a lot about Rafa and his injurys when he’s injured, so much that i refuse to start worrying about injurys when he’s not injured but instead off that i enjoy watching him play tennis and think possitive about his health!

10. mary says:

Hey guys I think it is safe to say that Rafa will play one match at a time.
    He is eager, maybe slightly over eager but as to injuries I think Rafa is getting smarter every day about his body & his abilities. I believe Fed head went through similar experiences, that is why he refined his tennis style. Rafa is doing the same. It is better for him to hone in his skills at smaller tourneys. It has a 2 fold effect. Firstly practice skills, new & tried. Secondly, gives him a chance to ready himself for the larger tourneys. Remember he is super fit & only 23. He is still learning his craft & refining & changing things where needed. So don’t worry, finally our man is figuring it out.

I so hope you are right, Mary. And I think you are. Because I wanna see Rafatennis for a looong time to come. Cannot wait for some action next week!

• dutchgirl says:

I think all of us are! I’m already excited for monday, and hoping that the match will be played at a time that I can watch it.

• Carol says:

Thanks for a bit of cool Aussie logic: it’s soo easy to get overwhelmed in this Rafauniverse! *hug*

There’s a relevant quote from TS Eliot’s Old Possum’s Book of Cats which goes along the lines of: he’ll do as he do….and there ain’t doing nothing about it… Perhaps someone here can clarify?

• mary says:

And lets hope he’ll do what he do & do it to me!!!! *OOps orgasmic. Fainting no way, I’m enjoying this one* ;) ;) ;D