2010 Davis Cup draw

Photo by AP Photo/Paul White

Photo by AP Photo/Paul White

The 2010 Davis Cup draw took place this morning and it’s got people in a tizzy. Why? Spain will host Switzerland in the first round. Yes, that’s right: people are already drooling over a possible Rafa/Roger match.

The full draw for the 2010 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group is as follows:

SPAIN (s)(c) v SWITZERLAND

GERMANY (s) v FRANCE (c)

RUSSIA (s)(c) v INDIA

ARGENTINA (s) v SWEDEN (c)

ECUADOR v CROATIA (s)(c)(*)

SERBIA (c)(*) v USA (s)

CHILE (c) v ISRAEL (s)

BELGIUM (c) v CZECH REPUBLIC (s)

First Round ties to be played on 5-7 March 2010.

Key
(s) = seeded nation
(c) = choice of ground
(*) = choice of ground decided by lot

1. An says:

O: yes that could be exiting… assuming that Rafa an Roger play…

A home tie for Spain i guess, that will mean on clay. “Good new”

2. Kate says:

bah and Serbia will pick clay against the US that isn’t a good thought but tantalizing thought above never the less!

3. natch says:

It will be interesting to see if either Rafa or Roger chooses (or is able) to play in March.

• Clare says:

That’s the thing thought isn’t it?

It’s a great match up in theory, but it has been years since Federer has played in the opening round of the Davis Cup. He usually turns up for the Qualifying round (just played against Italy) to make sure that the Swiss don’t drop out of the World Group.

It will be very interesting to see if playing on clay, in Spain, against the one guy with a hefty winning record against him is all that amenable to Rog ;) !!!

• natch says:

Will both be healthy? Will the twins (Mirka’s ;)) and his daughters schedule allow Roger to play? Will they both want to? So many questions..

But like Jo said, I hope they both play. I wish it was next week instead of next year!

• mary says:

Hey natch, the twins had to fit into Fed heads schedule. Fed doing his 2010 diary: “AO, fuck Nadal, Davis cup, fuck Nadal, Masters, masters, fuck Nadal, awe! gotta feed girls & change nappies when, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me see I can fit em into mid May……..”

• mary says:

Oh forgot, Fed head adds to diary, “oh no Delpo, double fuck”. :)

• natch says:

Can you imagine? First Rafa got into Fed’s head, and now Juan Martin? Ay caramba.

At the same time, I wonder how many ballers now believe they can beat Rafa on clay, even though he was injured when he lost at the French. Does that work in Fed’s favor? Personally, I don’t think so. I think Rafa has beaten Roger too many times for Roger to have eliminated doubts. But that’s the beauty of tennis. Nobody’s thoughts matter, except the two guys playing. That’s why I would love to see this match on clay next week. If I could make Rafa healthy with a wave of a wand, I would love to see this match on clay and see where both their minds are at right now.

4. johanne says:

Nole this year; Fed next year!

If anything or anyone can get Fed to play DC first round, it’s Rafa. This is hilarious. I hope both boys play. :)

And we’ve got Argentina. Good luck, Sweden. Good luck.

• natch says:

Uhhh…can Mats still play? ;)

CC, I missed you!

Noop, don’t think so. And he’s not going to be the DC captain either next year… Thinking they should choose Edberg instead, but he looks like my dad and is therefore not hot.

Missed you too!

• natch says:

How about Edberg and Mats battle them in looks, then?

• natch says:

Oh, and I meant Edberg is too hot, even though I’m not much into blondes.

Edberg, not much hot. But he’d probably make a decent DC captain if they asked him.
            Really thought the Spanish DC captain, Emilio Sanchez, was nice (even the name is hot, no?). The new one, not hot.

• natch says:

You just don’t like Edberg because of your dad, so I’m discounting that. *sticks out tongue*

I didn’t catch any DC action, so I haven’t seen the captains. But I did see one glimpse of some hot Spanish guy amongst the team members. Looked like an older (early 30’s, maybe?) guy with longish hair. If I knew how the internet worked, I suppose I could find him. *shrugs* Oh well.

Emilio IS a hot name. You should be required to be good-looking if you have that name.

I think for Rafa the DC is only second to grand slams. The heart is willing and always passionate, but it’s the body that also has to say yes.

Hope u r fit and healthy as ever to play all DC ties Rafa.

7. faeaki 7 says:

Hope u r fit and healthy as ever to play all DC ties Rafa.

I’ll drink to that!!!

I really think that Rafa would relish meeting Roger on the sunny clay courts of Spain, especially since he lost to Roger after his epic win in Madrid, he seems to love being his countries hero you can see it in his face…
    Watching Rafa in a Davis cup is something else, like last years tie v. USA in the bullring, FANTASTIC Just like his win for Olympic gold, so intense, so only Rafael Nadal!!!

8. mary says:

Theres a bleacher report 0n the DC & some of the comments mentioned were not kind to our Rafa. I posted some responses & boy they aren’t nice over there. Well maybe I was a bit full on as well. Just gotta stick up for our man. :)

9. vamsi says: