Quarterfinal presser

Photo by EMMANUEL DUNAND/ AFP/ Getty Images

Photo by EMMANUEL DUNAND/ AFP/ Getty Images

Transcript and video on the USO site. Excerpts:

Q. Last year when you lost, you seemed very weary, very tired here. Are you better rested now?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, sure, I’m more fresh than last year, 100% sure. We will see how I am physically tomorrow. But mentally, the last year was totally destroyed mentally. Mentally this year I am perfect, no?

No. I mean, yes. Yes, I mean yes.

Q. Last night, did you want to wait longer to play, or were you happy that they canceled it at 6:00?

RAFAEL NADAL: I’m very happy to cancel it at 6:00, yeah. That’s good for the players. Just can say thanks to the organization, because you know how tough is be here from 9:00 in the morning to 8:00 of the afternoon.

The tournament was very, very good yesterday with the players, no, very good consideration.

They should have let them go much earlier.

Q. What would you say is the best thing that Del Potro does? What is the biggest challenge he presents to you?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, everything. I think he’s very complete player, no? In the past, he didn’t serve like he is doing right now. He has an unbelievable serve right now. From the baseline, he is very solid. He don’t have mistakes.

He is very big, so, anyway, if the movements is not 100% perfect, he very long and he arrive to every play.

So for his altitude, his movements is okay, no? He’s good. I think he’s a complete player, and is always the same thing, no? Try to be ready to put one more ball than the rest.

I do not like the high altitude players.

Q. As a very prominent player in the game, do you ever have conversations with the authorities here about the scheduling? Are you able to talk to them about the schedule and whether you think it’s fair or not fair?

RAFAEL NADAL: For when?

Q. For everybody. Are you able to talk to them and ask them…

RAFAEL NADAL: You can talk. (laughter.) Sure, you can talk. But I think if they listen to you, they listen, yes, sure. In the end, the television is decisive in these cases. So I don’t know, no?

I think the players prefer don’t play Saturday and Sunday in a row, because for example, that’s my feeling, no? If I have for example the match, one player have the same match like I had in semifinals of Australia this year, you lose the final. It’s impossible win the final, believe me.

So depends how is the match in semifinals, you lose a lot of chances to play the final, no? But it’s everything the same, so that’s fair.

They totally need to do away with the “Super Saturday” thing.

Q. Would you prefer the early match tomorrow or the later match?

RAFAEL NADAL: I prefer early.

Q. Have you told them that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I told. (laughter.) I asked.

And he’s first tomorrow. Yay!

1. kefuoe says:

I was kind of taken aback by that “last year I was totally destroyed, mentally” comment. I didn’t imagine that it was as bad for him as it apparently it was. Glad to read that he feels daisy-fresh, though!

2. loverafa4ever says:

So happy he got his “wish” granted and dat he is playing the first match. Thats really neat and I am already very excited and nervous about the match…

3. tiemyshoe says:

I about died at the “altitude” thing. I love how he searched for the right word (“Is it height? No, can’t be!”) and came up with that – especially ’cause it’s perfect for describing the unreasonably tall. That, and “long.” Love him.

Also like how he says “guys” to the reporters when he’s given an injury-related question. Like, “Guuuuys!”

Rafa, why are you so awesome?

I about died at the “altitude” thing. I love how he searched for the right word (”Is it height? No, can’t be!”) and came up with that – especially ’cause it’s perfect for describing the unreasonably tall.

And it’s an attempt to apply logic to a completely illogical language. I mean, why shouldn’t that word work in that context? :)

I STILL say “long” instead of “tall” quite often, as it is the same word for both in my mother tongue. So I can understand Rafa. English really is completely illogical at times. Most of the time, no?
        The way Rafa does it is just the best though. He’s just like “Pffft, I will say this, no? Correcto or not correcto, doesn’t matter.”

• Carol says:

The trouble with English is that so much depends on context and word order… hell, we understand you Rafa.

Mind you,”altitude” is not a bad word in the context of Delpo all ginormous 6 foot 6 of him. :-)

“You can talk. (laughter.) Sure, you can talk. But I think if they listen to you, they listen, yes, sure. In the end, the television is decisive in these cases. So I don’t know, no?” Very tactful, as ever, Mr Nadal. ;-)

• killian says:

And I was so impressed with his English in this presser. “Altitude’ was PERFECT! :D
            I’m with you, Carol: . .”in the end, television is decisive in these cases” Tactful, complex, insightful. . . . Rafa continues to amaze. Vamos EARLY and rest for tomorrow!!

4. johanne says:

He is so delicious in that orange shirt. Loving the hair. And the smile.

*fangirling*

Your name isn’t Federer and you’re not number.1, but they FINALLY granted your request, precious Rafa in the sizzling orange tee.

And going against the norm:

Q. You were only out there about 34 minutes today. Was that enough of a workout for you? Will you even practice more today?
    RAFAEL NADAL: I am done. I am done today, yeah.

6. mary says:

yeah I’ve got a few altitude people living in this house. Well compared to me they are. That has got to be the cutest way for describing a tall person. For him to come up with this word his english is developing expedentially. He is one smart cookie indeed!!!!!!
    I also noticed whenever something was said either by Rafa or by the journo’s concerning his ab muscle, I noticed he flickered or moved his eyes. Our Rafa wants this sooooooooo bad. I just wonder to what extent his injury is!!!!!! And how far is he willing to push himself. I know if it were me, I’d be doing anything, everything to remain in this tourney & go the distance (legally of course)
    Vamos Rafa you truly are unique, courageous & forever a winner in my eyes

7. zombina says:

I thought Rafas reaction at the end of the pressconference was interesting. When asked about what a career Grand Slam means to him, he answered that it was a big goal for him and so on. I just observed the expression in his face when answering, he looked like he just woke up and looked straight at the reporter answering the question.

I think he wants it so bad… (Of course he does!) He will do everything he can and more to win this. He is so controlled in his pressers, so I liked to see a glimpse of the hunger inside of him answering that question. Career Grand Slam only two matches away – That’s a prize that will get anybodys motivation in high gear!

8. mary says:

“That’s a prize that will get anybodys motivation in high gear!”

Lets hope it is just Rafa’s motivation that kicks into high gear & all other opponents fall flat on their face. The best in the world is back & hungary, very very hungary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!