Rainy Day Update

Photo by AP Photo/Darron Cummings

Photo by AP Photo/Darron Cummings

I thought I’d post a few updates for those of you just getting home or something and looking for details. The Friday session has apparently been called off, according to the US Open official website. This means that Rafa’s quarterfinal match against Fernando Gonzalez will conclude tomorrow, Saturday September 12th (as will the two women’s semifinals). This also means that the men’s semifinal matches will be played on Sunday, and the men’s final on Monday night. Rafa currently has a narrow lead, having won the first set 7-6 and leanding 3-2 in the second set tiebreaker, with Gonzalez next to serve.

Also, tennis.com is reporting on their ticker that Rafa has withdrawn from next weekend’s Davis Cup tie against Israel, to be replaced by Juan Carlos Ferrero.

1. johanne says:

I figured Rafa would pull out of DC. That sucks for him but it’s a smart move I think.

Looks like it’s going to rain all day tomorrow too. Super.

• Ch F says:

Is it because of the abdominal strain? It’s the right thing to do if he doesn’t want to aggravate it but could this mean that it’s more serious than we thought? Still, it’s the right strategy to have a smarter planning for the rest of the season and the next one as well. Rafa’s team seems to be aware of that and that’s great news.

2. tiemyshoe says:

I could go on about the scheduling woes until my brain bleeds, but it’s too depressing. This article sums it up pretty well: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6831556.ece

So yeah, just … VAMOS, Rafa. I still believe the metereological craptitude won’t beat him down.

• johanne says:

I’d read that article too. When I saw yesterday that 2 doubles matches were scheduled on Ashe ahead of the men’s semis, I was FLOORED. Especially when they knew – THEY KNEW – that rain was in the forecast for Thursday night AND all day today. Assholes. If Rafa & Gonzo can’t finish their match tomorrow, they better push the final back till Tuesday.

• kalliopeia says:

They seem determined that the men’s semis will be played on the same day to avoid giving one finalist a day off between the two matches and not the other. I’d think that if Rafa’s match can’t be finished tomorrow (I don’t even know what the forecast is for tomorrow) they’d move it to Tuesday. If for no other reason than that surely to God they’d not make Rafa or Gonzo play a quarter and a semi in the same day.

• johanne says:

Forecast for tomorrow is rain all day so realistically I’m thinking they won’t start up again until Sunday. And yeah, you would think they’d make sure to play both semis on the same day, but who knows. At this point I’m hoping they don’t plan on completing Rafa & Gonzo’s QF on Sunday with the winner having to play a semi the same day. That would be crazy.

• kalliopeia says:

Well I called a family member from work today to find out what was going on and she read to me from some website that if the quarterfinal couldn’t be completed today the final would be moved to Monday to keep one finalist from having a day off between. I think they’re probably really trying to minimize the disgust over the silly scheduling, with little success though.

• tiemyshoe says:

At least Rafa/Gonzo seems to be getting the priority tomorrow, which is good. Having a dangling tiebreak is a serious psychological monkey-on-the-back (not least for the nerves of this fan!). I’m praaaaying Rafa can win the TB and the next set, and that the QF doesn’t become an epic.

GODDAMN that hotdog wrapper that flew onto the court in the 2nd set. Rafa would’ve had that thing wrapped up. Grrrrrr.

• mary says:

Couldn’t f******g agree with you more. I think to be fair the scheduled final should be shifted to tuesday. They have bugger it I’m gonna say it fucked up in a epic way. No roof, what did they think the pearly gates of heaven would put a ring around Flushing Meadows so rain wouldn’t fall. Deh!!!!!! I wonder if they even know how to count?

• Atch2 says:

“Anyone with half an interest in meteorology could have told the US Open officials that it would start to rain on Thursday evening and that Friday would be a washout.
                The curse of the night sessions revisited. Rather than see that fairness prevailed — that a grand-slam tournament actually put the tennis first — the sport again bowed to its paymasters in television and had been comprehensively dumped upon.
                Nadal has become the tournament’s vampire, seen only at night.”

Totally agree. USO get ur act together. Like the crazy fan incident …. Be proactive not reactive.

Tennis Gods, what did Rafa ever do to u, except bring more greatness to the game.

• aRafaelite says:

Well, there is a silver lining to all this… at least the top half of the draw won’t have a day off between the semis and the final either. If it’s Fed v Rafa or Fena that’s good news. If it’s Nole v. DelPo not so good. Fuerte Rafa. I don’t mind if you don’t win it this year, just get through the next few days without further injury, and you’ll win it eventually for sure.

3. faeaki 7 says:

Yeah and its a morning match, so lets hope Rafa is refreshed an up for it! All this waiting around today must have been tough mentally too, thanx for the link tiemyshoe its about time someone brought this to light.. Rafa needs to come out firing tommorow to gain himself some needed rest.
    I never feel comfortable when Rafa plays early he always seems slow off the mark, not a good thing in the middle of a tie-breaker, lets hope he is alert and ready!

4. SapphireSwell says:

It was a huge mess out there today. I was able to drop in an wasted about 2 hours of my time (plus commute) to have the USO staff continually push back the schedule by half an hour, even though rain (more than 50% chance) is due until Sunday morning at 5AM.

There was about a 15 minute break as I was walking on site, but as soon as I got through security and into a (very good) seat in Louis Armstrong, the rain picked up, and I had to head for cover. I didn’t see any machines out on the court while I was there, so basically, they didn’t even try.

I highly doubt that the USO organization will be able to get any match in tomorrow, and I hope they push everything back another day so the players can get a fair amount of rest between QF, SF, and Finals. And maybe some of those finals tickets will drop in price on Craigslist, if it’s even worth watching ;)

5. miri says:

Thanks for the update! I was out most of the day visiting with friends who I hadn’t gotten to see while I was watching tennis. I had nose-bleed seats for today, but figured there was no point in going out there.

Sad Rafa’s not playing Davis Cup, but agree that it’s much better for him. Spain will be missing him and Nando because he’s had to pull out – he has a foot problem that will require surgery in addition to whatever is up with his tummy.

I was wondering if I could a refund for session #23, but looking at their weather policy it says: “The Inclement Weather Policy does not apply to sessions #23 through #26.” So, no refunds if those sessions are rained out. Bastids.

• xta says:

miri, it says you can use your session 23 ticket for tomorrow’s game…but i can’t tell what time the game will be, can you ??? on the normal schedule page it says beginning at noon eastern, but on the updated weather page where it lists all the matches to come (semis and finals) it says rafa’s match will begin tomorrow at 10:00 eastern…(of course, all of this assumes that the weather clears up !!!)

• kalliopeia says:

I think the 10 am is referring to the time the gates open, the match is scheduled for noon.

miri, it says you can use your session 23 ticket for tomorrow’s game

My flight leaves at 9am. :(

• SapphrieSwell says:

I wouldn’t bet on the flight leaving at 9am, but I think that you’ll land before Rafa plays… Have a good and safe trip home!

Will tweet you updates and try to string up a summary. Most likely it’ll be a rant about how the USO needs to re-think it’s scheduling, but there were some great days, too.

From an AP article:

… The weather never did permit that, though, … Nadal and Gonzalez were asked to stick around a little longer; they were told they could depart at about 6 p.m.—seven hours after Nadal left his hotel Friday morning.”

Rafa’s abs, pls heal quickly.

7. loverafa4ever says:

I felt horrible reading that article! I am so angry right now. Officials are only thinking of money.. What can we do to make sure that Rafa gets a fair chance. I hate these people! They made him wait for 7 hours and the same is going to happen tomorrow, while the rest of the players are having an awesome time in their hotel rooms. grrrr… I feel like crushing those official who does the scheduling. Its alwayz Rafa who becomes the victim of such stuff. The same thing happened last year. The ranking doesnt matter, whatever be Nadal’s ranking he is going to have the same schedule year and year after. They really have made him The Vampire of the US Open! I have mixed emotions right now- hatred, sadness, dissapointment and wat not.

• Kalliopeia says:

They made Gonzalez wait, too, let’s not forget that he’s having to deal with the same delays and stupidity right now. I feel bad for them both.

I do really think that, as much as Rafa must want to get out and get this done, a bit of a delay might not be a bad thing for the abs.

I’m not normally somebody to get upset by things like these, I always try to be with colm and a positive acktitude, but HELL does it piss me off this time!
    When I checked the weather forecast for Thursday, knowing that Rafa’s match was a night one, even the BBC web page here in the UK could confirm there would be piss rain all night in NY.
    Shockingly bad, USO, shockingly…and terribly unfair on sweet, lovely Rafa!

• aRafaelite says:

Ladies, a little colm please – “everything comes to those who wait” and “what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger”!!! A lesson Tio Toni has no doopt drummed into Rafa since he was a little kid!

I completely agree that the scheduling isn’t fair (never has been at USO, and is dominated by financial and media interests not player wellbeing) but Rafa is made of much tougher stuff than we are, and seems to be getting better at making tough decisions, like withdrawing from Davis Cup. Sad, but as he himself would say it’s just tennis, not life or death.

At least both men’s semis will be played the day before the final. That will help to even things up a bit. And remember that Fena is also recovering from the same tendonitis as Rafa, and all this is hurting him as much as our beloved bumblebee (sorry, but the “Fire of an Avenging Rafa Fan” doesn’t burn quite so hotly in my veins when I love the person he’s playing against as much as Fena/Fer/Nole)!

9. Carol says:

““Rafael Nadal stepped out of the players’ cafeteria at the U.S. Open a little before 3 p.m. Friday and pressed his face against a window, cupping his hands around his eyes as he scanned the soaked tournament grounds.”

We feel for you too Rafa… Hell, the frustration, and not knowing what you can eat, when… never quite relaxing…

I’m just trying to run through and through the Wimby “Be calm, I am going to win” attitude.

As for the USO organisers, this is where colm stops. I’m with everyone here: have they never heard of contingency planning…or does Mammon always have to take place over the HUMAN BEINGS who are actually the reason for this event??? *steam coming from ears*

Love the image that forms in my head when thinking about Rafa’s cute face pressed against a rain drenched window…

• An says:

Awww yes… just like a little boy…
        “Rain, rain, go away, little Rafa wanna play”

Nobody with a camera on that moment??

10. mary says:

“Rafael Nadal stepped out of the players’ cafeteria at the U.S. Open a little before 3 p.m. Friday”
    At least Rafa got his priorities right, he was in the cafeteria probably munching on something yummy hopefully. The official reps should be sucking arse to our man & Gonzo providing for their every culinery desire.
    Btw, just think Fed head will have the opportunity to change a few more diapers, as long as he knows which end is which!!!! :) ;)

• Carol says:

“as long as he knows which end is which!!!! :) ;)”

If he doesn’t by now, he’s gonna get one hell of a shock when he picks the girls up… LOL

Oddly enough I can more imagine Rafa changing nappies! I’m sure he will be a wonderful Daddy one day!

*Sigh. Wishful thinking…*

11. Ch F says:

“I don’t know what happened, but it’s one of those days where everything kind of goes right for you”, Roger said in a interview on the official USO site. Well you can say that again!!! He said that before the rain delays came in. So right now it sounds like the understatement of the year. Sorry, I’m furious. I didn’t believe in luck but I’m about to start.

12. naaz says:

I hate this, all this waiting around, waiting 4 d play 2 start!!! And I’m at home, staying up all night, 2 see rafa Live, I have 2 convince either my parents or older brother that I need 2 c his matches or I will die. And that’s impossible when I can’t even tell them when the match starts.

On the bright side, Rafa probably hates waiting around more!! And when he is finally on court he’ll hopefully play agressive and finish the match in super fast time!!!!!!

13. hcfoo says:

I think it’s a wise move that he pulled out of DC. He has recover in time to show up at Bangkok later this month or he’ll disappoint the fans there for the 3rd time.

• Kalliopeia says:

Well if he isn’t absolutely 100% recovered, I hope he’s more mindful of that then of disappointing his fans at a tournament. I mean I know it sucks, especially for those in a part of the world that he just isn’t likely to make it to very often, but he really needs to get that body purring along smoothly again.

14. faeaki 7 says:

Oh I bet Rafa just hates the rain!

Missing his sunny island for sure. Omg is playing now., got to goo, comon Rafa!!!

15. kayM says:

Thank God the perfect scenario happened. Rafa won 2nd set tie-break and 3rd set 6-0!!

Vamos Rafa ! Go take some rest and also more practice and come out firing tmr at Del Potro. Nothing can stop you going, not the rain, not the consecutive plays of qtr, semi, final. I am going to be a believer… this is your year to grab the USO title!

16. mary says:

Well that was quick. I told my son I think it is gonna be a begal. Well wow that was quick indeed. Excellent just what the doctor ordered. Our Rafa can now get a bit more rest. :) :)

• aRafaelite says:

They may have to swap nicknames… turns out that Rafa was Speedy Gonzalez this time around, and Fena was like a bull in a china shop! Feeling very sorry for Fena actually, but as good as it could get for Rafa. 3rd time lucky over DelPo please…