Flying into the Open

Photo by Julian Finney / Getty Images

Photo by Julian Finney / Getty Images

It was the battle of the comeback kids today on Arthur Ashe court: Rafa on his way back from a knee injury and Gasquet returning from a doping suspension. Rafa had more recent matches under his belt and a solid winning record against his friend, so it was quite possibly the worst first round draw Gasquet could get. His play showed how he felt about that – it was tentative and rusty. Rafa’s? Colm, concentrated and crisp. He defeats Gasquet: 6-2 6-2 6-3.

Stats:

Nadal Gasquet
Aces 7 4
Double Faults 0 4
1st Serve % 56% 62%
1st Serve Points Won 33/35 (94%) 29/49 (59%)
2nd Serve Points Won 19/27 (70%) 12/30 (40%)
Return Points Won 38/79 (48%) 10/62 (16%)
Break Points Conversions 5/10 (50%) 0/0 (0%)
Unforced Errors 10 40
Winners (including service) 27 20
Net Approaches 19/23 (83%) 21/33 (65%)
Total Points Won 86 51
Fastest Serve Speed 121 MPH 126 MPH
Average 1st Serve Speed 111 MPH 115 MPH
Average 2nd Serve Speed 88 MPH 88 MPH

1. loverafa4ever says:

Did anybody notice that Rafa popped a pill in b/w the match? I wonder wat dat was for. He looked fantastic 2day… but I wud like to see how he does against players who have been playing without a brk. I wud hav rooted for Gasquet if he was not playing Rafa.

2. SheIsBlessed says:

Congrats Rafa.

The pill was most likely an anti-inflammatory.

3. AnaR says:

What a wonderful audience! What ovation to Rafa when he was out on the track with his yellow t-shirt! (Nike have said it is in honor of NY taxis) What a great match on !…¡ What Rafa confident! .. I’m so happy .. Girls … The king is back. Congratulations to all of us .. for our patience during this time of injury … There is hope!.

• Nic says:

Hey Ana I’m in Barcelona and can’t figure out what channel to see rafa’s match tonight! Help! Think it will be around 2am but no idea which channel.

Nic, I’ve watched Rafa on telly in Spain a couple of times and it’s alway been on TVE 2, so one of the terrestrial tv channels. But I obviously don’t know if they show the US Open… Possibly?

4. Nic says:

Aaww Ana, rafa looked gorgeous in his yellow outfit! Sounds like a fantastic win! Unfortunately I couldn’t see the match from my hotel in Paris :( hope that’s not what happens when I’m in your country later this week. What channel is it shown on in Spain?

5. mary says:

Well I got to watch our man for only one set in my cramped 3 bedroom townhouse with my dog looking at me like I just didn’t care about her anymore!!!!
    I think our Rafa looks more like the mother of all bees & he is ready to sting the shit out of anyone gets on court with him.

No matter how rusty Gasquet was, if you look at the stats it shows that our Rafa is totally back on track & in many ways much improved. His first serves, his errors, his flatter balls & faster. “orgasmic”

And now fed has to face LLeyton’ I’m rubbing my hands together, Lleyton go get him.

6. mary says:

Well his first serves won anyway!!!! ;)

Stats look good. Only 10 unforced. 83% at the net. 27 Winners. And 7 Aces = more money contibutions for his Foundation fm his sponsor.

Looking good Rafa. Great to watch you even though my coverage kept switchg to the other courts many times and I don’t like the commentators I got (Crispano and Kordan or something like that). They were regurgitating old info and not much new analysis.

27 winners, 10 unforced errors. Orgasmic, indeed…

9. Carol says:

Ah Rafa, you are indeed our bright shining star…

They should have named a comet after you, not a measly asteroid belt. Brilliant, destructive and seen only once in a generation (if you get my meaning).

VAMOS!!!

On to the next round! *jumps up and down in excitement*

10. AnaR says:

I’ve been reading the NY Times and Reuters news and other newspapers about the match of yesterday and:

. NY Times even suggests the real possibility that the final be between Roger and Rafael.
    . The Reuters news agency literally say: “The Nadal’s rest (yes, yes, rest) could remove the chances of winning of all others players.”

And, of course, all newspapers are talking about that yesterday Nadal was in a very bright way, very hard, very well physically and with his usual confidence .. He’s back and everyone has seen it .. We can be happy and I hope the best for the rest of the tournament.

On the other hand .. Roger Federer yesterday, he gave not the best version of himself ..he failed in his shots too much, was a little unsure and the last two sets were won (against a player unknown) 7-5, 7-5 which indicates that “he is no too great lengths of forces.” ¡Vamosssssss Rafaaaaaa!.

11. dutchgirl says:

He sure was looking good out there! Gasquet might not have been the toughest opponent, but Rafa was confident, his serve was good and he moved well. I was so happy watching him like that.

12. An says:

Just seen today OOP… Rafa has the second match after 7.00 pm NY time, good that its weekend for the European Rafanatics, no?

• Ch F says:

Indeed!!! Very difficult for us to watch…I’ll check if it’s on and stay awake. Couldn’t watch the match against Gasquet but read a lot about it; such a pleasure to read he looks like good old confident Rafa we all love! Vamos!