Bikes, sensations, knees and ice cream

Rafa & Rafa

Photo by Bryan Bedder/Getty Images

The Times Online has posted the first USO Rafa Q&A.

How are your knees doing? Are you feeling well enough for two weeks of matches at the US Open? – Grace, Virginia

Yes, I am feeling good and today was asked about it. I am 100% ready. Many thanks

I like the sound of 100%!

So great to have you back on the tour. What do you like most about New York? Do you have one or two experiences that stand out? – Sarah K

Many thanks. I like a lot of things about New York but I don’t have much time to enjoy. I love the musicals here in Broadway and I used to go and see the city. It is tougher for me nowadays.

Sucks that he can’t just roam around on his own and enjoy the city – it’s a great city to get lost in.

Where have you ridden your Harley-Davidson motor bike? – Atch2

Back home in Mallorca. But not much to be honest.

I still have trouble picturing it.

Do you ever plan on getting a Twitter account? Andy Roddick, the Williams sisters and Andy Murray do. Your fans would love to hear about your daily routine/activities. – Amelia M, St. Paul, Minnesota

No, I am doing facebook and my website. My English is not that good and I have help to translate so imagine adding one more! Go to those 2 and that should be.

Well, poop.

I understand what you mean when you say you feel “special sensations” about your tennis, but when you say it about other things like playing the exhibition with Serena Williams and John McEnroe, what do you mean exactly? – Cedrine

The place where we had the chance to play was great, in the middle of the city. So the feeling (probably that’s what I really mean) was great.

Rafa’s all about the special sensations and gives them out whenever possible.

If the doctor told you your knees would be perfect if you never ate cookies & cream ice-cream again, would you do it? – Juana

ABSOLUTELY!!! But unfortunately that’s not the case. However my knees are well now… touch wood!

Awwww, that’s a big sacrifice!

Hey Man, one of many questions got answered. YEEEAAAHHH!!!! I will sleep with sweet dreams tonight.

Wow, cool!

BTW, don’t you need a special drivers licence for motor bikes? At least we do in Sweden. When did Rafa have time to get that?
        Sorry, I don’t believe for a second that he drives a Harley… ;)

• Diane says:

But there are pictures! I kinda figured him for a Ducati or BMW myself.

Yes, of him standing next to a Harley, in shorts… :)

• Carol says:

At least it’s not a cheesy Porshe.. a DB has class. Like a Mazzer or a soft top Bentley… yum… squishy, cream leather interior… But inbetween, I can teach you to donut it round a track sweetest one… (petrolhead collides with Rafayumminess)

He doesn’t have a cool Harley – some sort of little street bike that my boss (a petite female who rides a chopper) called wimpy.

• Diane says:

Nah. Give me the Porsche, any day. I don’t care for the AM at all. Blech. (Just me and Richard Hammond and James May.)
              And agreed on the Harley. I didn’t know they even made something that looks like a little Yamaha or Honda. Wow.

• Carol says:

I really meant that a Porsche would be a bit…well…predictable for a wealthy young sportsman.

I suppose 911 Porsche for me means 1980s City Bankers or hard partying premier league footballers with shopping-obsessed WAGs on their arms. Just my opinion.

• Diane says:

According the fellows at Top Gear, the new car of the WAGS and PL footballers is the Audi RS8, and Aston Martin DB S. I’ll take their word for it.

• aRafaelite says:

Hey, I finally got round to reading the blog a moment ago, and he answered my question too (or the first part anyway)!

Q. It must have been very tough for you not to compete over the last few months, but have you gained anything positive from the experience? And has spending more time at home with your friends and family changed the way you feel about tennis?
      Rafaelite in Australia

A. Yes sure, there are positives. I had the chance to be in Mallorca in the best time of the year of the Island… :-) But I would have preferred to be out there competing.

Obviously I emailed this question in before he I realised he’d been asked it in about a million interviews, but still, I’ve just been smiled at by Rafa!!!!! I’m not going to attempt to stand up anytime soon, I may have a problem with my knees…!

2. bdfoust says:

aww i love rafa’s version of knock on wood. “touch wood” :)

• johanne says:

Me too! So cute. :)

Can you not say that in English? I always do!

• johanne says:

I wouldn’t say you can’t say it; I’ve just always heard it as “knock on wood.” Doesn’t mean that’s the only way, I just had the same reaction as bdfoust and was like “awww..” :)

Only wondering, because in Swedish we say what directly translates into “touch wood”, thinking it might be the same in Spanish then.

• johanne says:

Probably a safe bet. Pretty sure it’s the same in Danish too. :)

• Laura says:

In British English it’s defo ‘touch wood’. In Spanish I believe they say (as do we Italians) ‘touch iron’ with the same superstitious meaning. Isn’t it great we can all learn cultural stuff too?! ;-)

• Eliana says:

In Spanish the phrase is “toco madera”, which is literally translated as “touch wood”. There’s even a song called like that and, if I’m not mistaken, is sang by a Spanish singer. Sometimes I think he learns the English language by constantly reading a dictionary, because a lot of what he says seems like a literal translation from Spanish. I find it sooo endearing!

• Eliana says:

Sorry is “sung” (oops!)

• AnaR says:

Eliana,

The phrase “touch wood” is used extensively in Spain and Eliana is true that there are not one but several songs with that title .. The most famous song was of a singer called “Manolo Tena” and it’s of a few years ago. But it’s funny, I did not know that the literal translation of this phrase was also used in English … every day you learn something new. Thanks

• aRafaelite says:

“Touch wood” is the correct expression in British English. “Knock on wood” is the Americanized expression.

3. dutchgirl says:

That’s the best possible answer he could have given!! 100 %, YEAH!!!

4. Trish says:

Does anyone know which facebook fan page/site is really his? There are quite a few out there … Thanks in advance.

• maite says:

i believe it’s the first one appearing when you look for rafael nadal on facebook. more than 2 million fans, they started posting there not long ago. (i say they cause i doubt that Rafa himself writes there i guess his team does)

• aRafaelite says:

I get a little thrill every time I find a status update from Rafa on my home page!

• mary says:

I know what you mean. It feels personal to receive a blogg, from him. Like it’s just between you & Rafi except for the other 3,500 that are getting the same blogg. ;) ;)

• Trish says:

Thanks! I am a “friend” on that one that you posted Miri. I just wanted to make sure that I was on the official one and yes of course, it is his team that does the posting – which is fine by me!

Another Rafa-anatic friend of mine and I just keep having a discussion as to WHICH one is the OFFICIAL one and I am glad to know that we are both on the right Rafa FB. Vamos!

• aRafaelite says:

I may be wrong, but judging by the brevity and standard of English, he might actually be doing them himself!?

5. mary says:

“But unfortunately that’s not the case”
    I think our sweety meant to say ‘fortunately’. Lost in translation, but beautiful as always. He’s ingles is so much better than my espanol.
    Great Atch2 that your question got put to him. Sweet Rafa dreaming!!

Luv the ice cream question.

7. Suzanne says:

Did any of you hear Andre Agassi talking about our Rafi tonight at the US Open with Johnny Mac and P Mac (during the Roddick match)? He admires him so much. (Although he did predict Mooooooray as the winner.) I love to hear people extol the virtues of our boy, and to hear it from a wonderful man like the “A-train” is just that much more special, and of course the Macs agreed wholeheartedly! Ooooooh will Wednesday never arrive? Let’s hope for a good match, enough to get the rythm going, but a fairly easy 3 setter! Gasquet should be fairly rusty from his suspension layoff. One other thing, I’ll be glad if he never gets that good “sensation” from riding his Harley. Two feet firmly planted on terra firma will keep him safe…I just remember how unsettling it was when he had a minor fender bender in his Kia a few years ago. The cutie pie immediately posted something on his website, in order to reassure his many fans worldwide that he was fine, but somehow I wonder if he’s not the best driver as he is driven around so much of the time and behind the wheel himself rather infrequently. Oh, I know, he already has a mommy, but I do worry…

• Carol says:

He has said he’s not a speed-merchant (well, not in those words), so I think we’re OK Suzanne. I’ve not been to Mallorca, but I don’t expect you can get to Autobahn speeds there.

8. Carol says:

Rafa’s blogs & Q&As are always so genuine. So love the comment about Facebook and his website being enough to cope with :-))

The Times really loves Rafa and always has done. Link to his blog is on the “front page” when you log onto the website, plus blog page has a scrummy photo too.

• ava says:

The Times, Neil Harman and the brits in general flove Rafa.
      There were so many saying how much they miss him during W……………

9. faeaki 7 says:

Yes in Britian, everyone loves Rafa especially his handsomeness!!! love all the comments today. Touch wood is very british! funny from Rafa that one, hee hee.. and the comment about his translation from a dictionary makes sense and is kind of amusing too…

He seems to be soo relaxed nowadays, except on court of course!