August 30th presser transcript

NY

Transcript of Rafa’s pre-tournament interview. Experts:

Q. How are your knees feeling? How are you more generally physically? Are there any other problems you’re dealing with?

RAFAEL NADAL: Hopefully not, no. The knees are perfect right now, my feeling. I think everything is okay, so I don’t have any problem.

I hope you aren’t lying now like you were during the French Open!

Q. How tough has it been psychologically for you to deal with what you’ve dealt with the last couple of months?

RAFAEL NADAL: Psychologically for me now, I am perfect. After important stop, came back with more energy than ever, no. Probably I need few time to be ready, to get the rhythm, to play your best tennis, but the energy and the illusion is 100%.

Q. What is your level of confidence coming into this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don’t know the level of confidence, but much better than what I expected when I started to play in Montreal, for sure.

Like, for sure.

Q. Have you changed your workout routine at all? Have you slowed down because of the knees? Work less, shorter hours?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. When you come back after an injury, you start slow always. You have to be progression, but later I am like normal right now.

Yesterday I practice two hours and a half. Today I practice two hours. I am feeling really well.

And, based on twitter reports, he did an extra practice session today.

Q. What significance would it have for you to win here? Is there something special about completing a career Grand Slam that would mean something to you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure, but we haven’t start the tournament yet. That’s the true, no?
For me, have the title here, doesn’t change my career, but I’m going — if I had the title here, finish the cycle, no? I win the fourth.

So it be unbelievable.

Right now, I really can’t think about that, no? Third tournament after an injury, I am well and I gonna come here every year with the best illusion, best attitude and try to prepare this tournament as good as I can to win this title.

One at a time, people, one match at a time.

Q. Is it a significant difference, the court in Australia to the court here?

RAFAEL NADAL: No one court is the same. That’s true, no? Few years ago I did quarterfinals, last year I did semifinals, so I feeling I am improving every year.

Q. Do you feel there is a bit of real difference between playing here and playing in Melbourne?

RAFAEL NADAL: The truth, the feeling is not a big difference. That’s my feeling, no?

Maybe in this court, always in the center court is always more wind than there, but for the rest, the ball is a little bit different, but that’s it.

Heh, nice try to get him to say that because he rocked the AO, he’ll do the same here.

Q. You showed a lot of support for Gasquet when he was suspended. He says he appreciates that very much from you. Can you talk about the reason, what went through your mind? You showed so much support for him.

RAFAEL NADAL: The true is I support him a lot. First thing, because I believe in him. Second thing, because I think he’s a very nice guy. I know him since 13 years old or 12 years old.

I talk with him what happen. He told me he didn’t take nothing. So I believe him 100%, and I think — you know, it is open. I don’t want to speak a lot about that and a lot of history is out about when I speak about that, but it’s not 100% perfect sometime. If someone wants to kill you, somebody can kill you, you know? And you didn’t do nothing. That’s the true, no?

That’s my feeling what happened with Richard, and of course they say that, no? He won. In the beginning, it was three years, and then it was three years because he didn’t take nothing. So I’m very happy for that, and I am sure a lot of players are very happy for Richard.

What’s all this about killing?

Q. Can you say you are 100% well to play this tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. Can you say you are 100% well, feeling well, for this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am 100% well to play this tournament, yeah. (laughter.)

I don’t know if I am playing at my best level, but I am 100%. You want me 100%? Me too.

Yes, he can say it. See!

1. An says:

Hell yes, Rafa…
    I WANT YOU 100%!!!!

2. johanne says:

Oh Rafa…..friggin’ adorable, as per usual. :)

3. loverafa4ever says:

he didn answer the question if he has reduced the time he spends on court coz of his knee. Instead he said he has returned back to his usual schedule.. ANd yea… watz abt dis killing? hehe.. I wish someone had translated it for him. I really wanted to knw wat was goin thru his mind wn he said dat. :P

• killian says:

Maybe he meant if someone is “out to get you” or maybe “ruin (not kill!) your reputation.” Anyway, such cuteness in that interview, and focus. One match at a time. All the way to the top. !VAMOS!

• teejustice says:

killian, that’s how I took him to mean it too.

VAMOS!!!

• Atch2 says:

Yeah I think he meant that some things are out of your control and some things just happen to u even if u weren’t asking for it.

Reporters are so trying to put words into his mouth, ask him leading questions. Rafa’s pretty good at avoidg them though. Rafadorable.

• Carol says:

Yeah, stuff happens sometimes…

I certainly couldn’t get my head round why a top sportsman like Richard would want to ruin himself by doing charlie.

And secondly, If Rafa’s been on the circuit with Richard since they were boys, he must know him reasonably well and I’m sure he wouldn’t respect someone who was an a***hole

4. Milla says:

LMAO & true! Vamos Rafa ;)

5. mary says:

“If someone wants to kill you, somebody can kill you, you know? And you didn’t do nothing. That’s the true, no?” Oh where did that come from? Oh how many ways can you crack me up, Rafa? You have a warped mind. I feel very comfortable with that bec I relate. You kill me with laughter even though you were serious. LOL

“Psychologically for me now, I am perfect”. And every f****g thing else about you as well! Oh honey you have no idea what you do to me & about nearly every other Rafa fanatic out there!!!!! *dies*

6. Suzanne says:

“Probably I need few time to be ready, to get the rhythm, to play your best tennis, but the energy and the illusion is 100%.” Oh how cute is this boy/man? I can’t wait for Wednesday…playing, interviews afterwards, winning, winning, winning…This is just too much for my poor little heart! Hopefully the practice sessions and watching matches for inspiration will be “few time” enough. His energy and illusion is 100%. He’s sooooo happy. This is his moment in the sun…I feel it!

7. An says:

Aaawww, here in the Netherlands yesterday was the last day of summer and it actually started raining today so it looks like it has left us…
    If it did because it went to Rafa and his summer starts now its ok by me! May Rafa’s summer be long and hot!

8. faeaki 7 says:

Cute interview as always Rafa! They do try to put words in his mouth too much, I am so glad he handles them with pure class as usual… Sexy and Smart! lol..