Quarterfinal presser

Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images

Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images

The transcript from the quarterfinal presser is up. Excerpts:

Q. How pleased were you with that performance out there tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, very happy, no? I think I improved every day a little bit more, so today I played very good match. I think normal level when I am on rhythm, so that’s very good news. Win against Tomas on this surface is very good win for me, so I’m very happy for that.

Sure, very, very good news being in the semifinals. When I arrived here, I didn’t expect to be in this round, so very happy. Anything can happen right now, because my tournament is very good for me.

Normal level sounds good to me.

Q. Are you looking forward to playing Novak again tomorrow? You played him last year here in the semifinals, and you’ve played him a lot.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure I gonna try to be competitive to try to fight to win. So that’s what I gonna do, and we will see what happens later.

Not if we are stuck with ESPN2 in the US, we aren’t. Thank goodness for the Internet.

Q. In the volleys, were you putting more spin on the ball? Looked like you were putting more spin than you had previously.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I had a very good feeling, especially on the forehand. So I went inside more. I was going inside more times. So I think especially in the beginning I played almost perfect match.

Later Tomas starting to serve very, very well, and it was difficult to return the serve. With the second serve he is going higher too, and he had the position inside the court early. It’s difficult to put out Tomas of this position, no?

But I didn’t lost court. I was all the time close to the baseline, so that’s what I — when I went through the match, that’s what I tried to do. So I did, and very happy, because I think I did and I did well.

Wait, did that at all answer the question?

Q. As you try to get back to the form you had before your injury, does it really help to you play the top guys? Does playing someone like Djokovic help you get further along?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think the match is tomorrow. Any result gonna help me more to get more level, no? Because it’s another, I don’t know (Through translation) another step of level. I had to push myself to this new step to try to win. That’s what I gonna try.

I know if tomorrow I have a good match and the result is there, it’s close, I am there.

*finger’s crossed*

Q. What is the most difficult thing for you when you’ve come back from injury? What’s the hardest thing to get good again?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, get the routines. You know, when you are playing and you are with confidence, you don’t need to think a lot about every point, no, because you do automatically. You do the things.

Right now it’s more difficult because it’s the beginning and you have to think a lot of time. But I think I today I did very well, no? Because when I have 15-30 — well, I don’t have a lot of 15-30, no, but when I had Love-15 or something like this I had a good serve, good forehand.

So when I had to play aggressive and when I had to win a point, I was there playing the point, no? So sometimes when you are coming back off an injury in the beginning you know the point is very important and I have stupid mistake.

So that’s more difficult thing, no? Try to do the right things in important moments.

And you could see that he was thinking, not doing in the early matches. I saw much less of that last night.

Q. Looking back to last year when you played Djokovic in the semifinals and lost, what do you have to do differently tomorrow that you perhaps couldn’t do last year to win?

RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of things, no? I think I arrived last year to the semifinals very tired. I did my goal here, being in semifinals to be No. 1.

So, you know, I wasn’t pleased about my result, but I won in Wimbledon, Roland Garros, Toronto, and it was a lot of efforts, no? It was too much, no? So maybe I was a little bit tired.

Tomorrow maybe I can lose 6-2, 6-2, but the mentality gonna be different.

No losing 6-2 6-2, Rafa!

Q. Did you watch Wimbledon, Rafa?

RAFAEL NADAL: I watched the final.

Q. How did it feel to watch that fifth set?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it was emotional, no? A lot of emotion in one important match like the final of Wimbledon. The match was so close. Roddick had one 15-40. So, yeah, these kind of matches are special. For everybody I think it’s nice to see these kind of matches.

It was a tense match, I’m not sure it was an exciting one. But then, I’m biased and prefer the 2008 final much, much more.

1. kefuoe says:

I liked that question about what’s the hardest thing about coming back. I also find Nadal’s response interesting. It’s like he’s talking about a return of his instincts in the game. You’d almost think that the instincts are what never go away. I agree, with you miri, there has definitely been a improvement in that area though. I also think it was responsible for some of the wonky movement we saw in previous matches.

2. Suzanne says:

Interestingly, Miri, just now in the post-match interview, Fed gave ESPN a bit of a dig when they were asking him who he’d like to play tomorrow and if he’d watch it. He said, “I’ll watch it if you show it.” They all laaughed and BG said, “Thanks for mentioning that.” I think that they are as embarrassed as we are ticked off about ESPN treating our important tennis matches like the leftovers of a dogsled race (poo poo). I’m with you, thank God for the internet.

God, I do have to concentrate quite hard to read the presser transcripts from Rafa’s pressers.

Just love it that he doesn’t answer the question at all, when asked about the spin on the volley. Wonder if he thinks “well, I didn’t understand that question at all, so I’m just going to talk in general about my play” or “what sort of a question is that? I’m going to answer my own!”.

4. patzin says:

I will watch on TTV at 7 and record from ESPN at 10. So I watch it twice. Never get enough of Rafa! Transcripts are always interesting. I wonder if Rafa doesn’t understand some of the questions, or just wants to put out something different. I think it’s great. Always interesting.

5. loverafa4ever says:

No matter what the question is. Rafa’s answer is the same most of the time. I was surprised wn he said wat difficulties one will hav coming back frm injury. I have been feeling butterflies in my tummy from 2day morning thinking of Rafa’s match. Now that Roger won, I want Rafa to win as well. and this time Rafa shud beat Fed, as Fed beat Rafa in Madrid. Time for a nice revenge rit b4 USO.

6. Suzanne says:

He just says what he wants to, whether he understands or not…

7. mary says:

If I was Rafa I wouldn’t want to understand the journo’s questions anyway. I’d just say what I wanted regardless. Hey maybe you hit it on the head CC, if we have a hard time reading the transcripts maybe Rafa has a hard time understanding the questions, no?
    And to ask him about Wimby, is the journo trying to f****k with his head? He is here in a totally different tourney & fit again. Hope Rafi’s takes it like water of a duck’s back.
    Some journo’s are useless,no?!!!

• Delta says:

Ya Mary, he’s so funny, kinda want him to say “whaaat”? in his cute way, yet I think he is one who doesn’t dwell on the past as it’s” but new” so move on journo’s.. Member who your interviewing……….

• Delta says:

No one can f**K w/ his head even asking bout’ Wimbly, as his Final was much more “drama & exciting” then this years;-granted was watching & was entertaining, but Not as EPIC as Nadals’ Victory, especially since he had just come off a demolition of Fed @ RG, then to go back2back “measures” against his arch rival, so nada can compare it you look @ it in that regard, no?

8. Waqar says:

Jus can’t wait for rafa’s match to begin against Nole..it’s 3:22 am in the morning in my country but I can’t sleep jus thinking about rafa..I’m wondering if rafa slept last night..it’s his first big match after that f**kin soderling match..n by ‘big’ I mean against the big four..I want rafa to win cinci n take back that no.2 ranking fittingly by beating fed..I’m a dentist 23 male from Pakistan n I’m jus writin all this coz dis coz I can’t sleep thinking about the match…

• mary says:

Rafi doesn’t need to think, but just do!!!
      He has played enough tourneys to not let it get to him so as to effect his sleeping. Otherwise he’d never sleep. So don’t worry your precious head over it. Rafi will give his best as always. Remember he is fresh & ten times more passionate.

9. mary says:

Hey miri, if I’m right now that Mooooray has lost, that if Rafi wins today against Nole he’ll be almost back in number 2 spot. If he wins the tourney he will definitely back to number 2, correcto?

I think he has to win the tourny, but haven’t done all the math.

• loverafa4ever says:

I don’t think so. he will very close but I don’t think he will get number 2 ranking back. Usually one gets 450 points if dey reach semis. So Murray will have 450 points which will make his total 9700. Rafa now has 8665. If he wins he will only have 9665. So he falls short by 35 points. Very unfortunate. If Murray had lost in quarters and if Rafa wins the tourney, he wud have got his number 2 ranking back.

• Suzanne says:

According to BG and the other ESPN commentators, if Rafi wins, since Mooooray lost, he’ll regain the number 2.

10. faecoleman says:

*edited* – miri

11. killian says:

*edited* – miri

12. Delta says:

*edited because it’s on the wrong post* – miri

13. mary says:

*edited because it’s on the wrong post* – miri

14. miri says:

You know, I get the post match report up as soon as I can. Please hold off on commenting about the current match until it’s up. If you need to vent immediately, go into the chat room.

15. sia says:

Miri,
    honestly, who doesn’t feel the Wimbly 2008 was probably the match of the century … hopefully that will remain in Rafa’s psyche for many years and outshadow the problems from this year.

16. sia says:

Suzanne, tht was a spectacular match !!

17. sia says: