Rankings – August 17th

The new rankings are out and a sea-change has taken place. For the first time since July 2005, there’s someone in the top 2 not named Federer or Nadal.

Pos Name Points Pos Moved Tourns Played
1 Federer, Roger 11,040 0 16
2 Murray, Andy 9,250 +1 18
3 Nadal, Rafael 8,665 -1 16
4 Djokovic, Novak 7,150 0 21
5 Roddick, Andy 5,800 0 21
6 Del Potro, Juan Martin 5,405 0 22
7 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried 3,960 0 24
8 Davydenko, Nikolay 3,655 0 22
9 Simon, Gilles 3,320 0 27
10 Verdasco, Fernando 3,185 +1 22

No.s 1-4 look pretty even now. Not like before when there was a gap btw 1-2 and 3-4 and rest of field. I think if Rafa remains in the top 3, and he’s improving as he has been in the last week, we have a great chance of climbing back to the top.

2. Milla says:

Rafa will be back in the top 2 for sure

3. johanne says:

4. teejustice says:

Well we knew it was coming, but it still looks funny. #1 gets the most revelry of course and I think really anything in the top 5 is really, really close to the same, especially since the points are closer. Even though he’s been consistent it still feels a little weird for Murray to be ranked higher than Rafa. At any rate glad to see our man back on court and working to find his form.

5. loverafa4ever says:

No doubt that he will b back to the top… (number 1)… but still sad when they say that for the first time since 2005 somebody other dan Rafa- Roger in the top 2. and also when I think abt how gud the first part of the season was for Rafa. What a change happened in a few months time…

Do well at Cinci Rafa… We want you in the top… not Murray.

• Carol says:

Yes, he WILL be back. All he needs is a few more matches to get fully going, I’m sure of it. Murray is only 585 points ahead after all. “Positive acktitude” everyone :-))

BTW: I’ve read somewhere where he was compared to a diesel car – needs to warm up before becoming fully effective! Not v romantic but an OK analogy.

6. naaz says:

I used 2 care about rankings. But after the prolonged injury lay-off, I want to just see him play, do well, win the big tournaments. Who cares about rankings, he’s my No 1!!!!!!!!!!!

• Suzanne says:

I’m with you, naaz. But I have to say that if/when Rafi does regain the #1 spot and end the year there (whether it’s this year or next) it will just be one more thing that he does that has rarely been done! If you check the record book, it’s a very rare thing to lose and then re-gain the numero uno spot. Our boy can do it. It’s so fun to see him back in action again like you say naaz, and even better to see him back and sooooo happy! Love those smiles!

7. patzin says:

As Rafa says, play well and the rankings take care of themselves. Recovery is a process, and I see him moving along in the process moving to greater mobility and success. We know he is talented!

• mary says:

patzin you hit the nail on the head (preferebly Feds head & moooooorays), I have every confidence and absolutely no doubts/doobts. Why do you think we’re all crazy about the man!!! he’s got the goods. Brother has he got the goods.. I’m trying to keep on tennis here, well not completely. Easily get distracted about his goods.
      Rafi is 23 people!!! & he is in it for the long haul. If he can almost pull a set off Del Potro when he’s what 70% back in form, what will he do when it’s 100%?

Ouch, this hurts a little bit, though…

9. aRafaelite says:

Take heart fellow Rafans. I’m reading Jules Verne’s classic “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea” at the moment, and I came across a description of Captain Nemo under stress today that struck me as perfect for Rafa: “This man’s coolness and energy never forsook him. He subdued his physical pains by moral force.” The sheer force of Rafa’s will power will lift him back to No. 1… and the combined energy of all our good wishes surely won’t hinder him in any way?!!

10. faecoleman says:

I believe in Rafa too, he needs to get his career slam “common Rafa!! and any good results and the rankings will take care of themselves! more important to stay fit and improve no?

I have read two articles so far saying how sad it is that a no slam wonder has overtaken the 6 x’s Grand slam champion with 15 masters shields and how cruel the sport is etc etc…

Alot of journalists as well out there are feeling for Rafa right now! I hope he acknowledges this!

Love all the possitivity on here, always cheers me up!

• mary says:

If he read this site (some of us would have restraining orders) Rafi would feel the positive aktitude coming through the screen!! We’re behind you (wishful thinking) 1,000 percento.

• Atch2 says:

It does feel strange that for someone who had the best result for almost the first half of the yr (AO + 4 other titles)has dropped to no.3 in the world. He’s suffering bec he did superhumanly last yr and his body couldn’t give as much to match it this yr.

U’ll be back to top form soon Rafa.

11. Dale C. Avellanosa says:

He will be back in the top 2…

12. Ran says:

Murray is Rubbish. To US Open Rafa will regain the No2 spot.Come on Rafa!

I guess Murray is exactly the opposite to rubbish, as he’s done so well!

• MS says:

Agree with Ran totally… Murray is Rubbish !!! Have you ever heard ppl talk about his match ?? Like Rafa-Nole match in Madrid. Or Federer-Delpo match in RG. Or recently Delpo-Roddick match. Murray never produce a breath-taking tennis match… and thats rubbish i think !!! On the other hand, Rafa always play a breath-taking tennis match!!! I’m big fan of tennis , but watching murray play tennis… really..really.. rubbish !!!

• mary says:

I’m not a no. 1 fan of Mooooooray’s but he’s worked his way to his position. Rafi will also do the same as he finds his form.
        Just one question though what does that machine do at night for Rafi that if you asked me I couldn’t do??? ;) ;)

• An says:

If Murray’s tennis was rubbish he never would have made it to the #2… I mean, comm’on.
          You don’t have to be a fan of him, i’m not at all, but take an example in Rafa and tread his opponents with the same respect he does! They deserve it because it takes a lot off hard work for them to be where they are!

I know it sucks seeing Rafa going down in the rankings but i believe he’ll soon be ok and climbing up again!

Aaaaaah Mary, the machine, yeah, i think magnetic therapy..
          and waking him up at night because he’s wrapped in the whire, and yessss, i would be glad to wake him up in the night because he’s wrapped by….. ME.
          *faints*

13. zombina says:

I know he will be back – but I just don’t like this at all. Rafa deserves better!

14. dutchgirl says:

Well, after all this is just about numbers, and numbers don’t say anything about what it means to see Rafa back on court, playing with pleasure and starting to win matches again in good shape.
    I just loved to see some of his well known punches in the Del Potro match, and that’s worth so much more to me than to see him ranked at #3 (okay, it’s a bit odd, we’re not used to that).

Having said that, I have to add that I expect him to climb the ranking again and will be glad if he does. Because it will mean he’s at his best again.

And to me he’ll always be number 1, not matter what his ranking is.

15. Delta says:

Being ranked No.3, is only a “temporary position” for Nadal. I believe it will propel him even more;-
    as mentally he has the edge already in that dept. Now, just more matches completed with a “V” & onto quarters, semis & final once again. The “illusion” always there, now is where reality & physicality=16
    “master serious” titles. Points go up, and off to capture the Final Slam “US OPEN” very close last year
    & wants to end “measures” way he started off w/ incredible AO performance!!! Think it was Brad Gilbert
    making statement; “if anyone can come back, its NADAL!!!

16. Suzanne says:

Let’s not forget, gang, that Rafi likes and respects Moooooray and vice versa. I’ve never been a fan of the Mooooer, his game is not at all attractive to watch, but he has become less volatile on court as he’s matured and he has earned points fair and square by facing really tough opponents. On the other hand, Fed was spoon-fed a bit with his wins at FO and Wimby because Rafi wasn’t there (might have slipped into the top spot through the back door a bit). When Fed faces Rafi next it’ll be interesting to see how he handles it. Mooooooray doesn’t give me the sense of “entitlement” to his position as Fed does. Like him or not, Mooooooray earns my respect for his friendship with Rafi, as do Delpo, Hewitt, and the Djokster. (Lots of others, but these four came to mind.)

• aRafaelite says:

I agree with Suzanne. There is genuine respect between Murray and Rafa and Nole and many other players, and we should try to show the same respect (unless of course they’ve just handed Rafa a crushing defeat, in which case there’s a 24-hour window of appropriate defamation allowed as we work through our disappointment e.g The Sod at RG)! However, to call ANY professional tennis player rubbish is ridiculous. I don’t enjoy watching Murray anything like as much I enjoy watching Rafa, but he is a great tennis player. He’s also one of the few to have spoken out on controversial issues in the sport (e.g. scheduling and drug-testing) and I respect that.

17. dutchgirl says:

I must be one of the few that actually likes to see Murray play. At least, for the last couple of years, he has matured a lot since, say 2007. No, it’s not half as exciting as Rafa’s tennis, but I think he has some nice strokes in his arsenal.

• mary says:

Hey I might knock Fed head (miri knows)but like all the top 20 players they have worked hard to get to their positions. Fed is one of the most exceptional players in existance. Even Rafi would agree. However, there is one exception I just can’t warm to Sod. He is rude & I don’t like his kinda rudeness!!! I Flov my Rafi and hope and pray he will find his form. I know by pics and presser news he’s bloody working hard to get there. Lots & lots of sweaty pics I might add. Hmmmmmmm *faints*
      Do alot of that don’t I? ;) ;)

18. loverafa4ever says:

Murray is a fantastic player and he truly deserves the position he is in rit now. The way he has worked over the past couple of months is commendable…(rit aftr Wimbledon, he started training for the American Hard court season in Miami) I luv his tennis but I wud luv it even more if Rafa was number 1 and Murray 2 or 3. :):D