Moving Right Along…

Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images

Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images

Rafa defeated Petzschner 6-3, 6-2 to move into the quarterfinals. He’ll play Juan Martin Del Potro on Friday. I didn’t see today’s match as it was ending just as I got home, so I’ll leave it to you guys to figure out how he’s playing after his first full singles match since early summer.

1. johanne says:

I thought Rafa played pretty well! Saved a couple break points, never got broken, and took advantage of his own chances in order to close out both sets relatively comfortably. He served better than yesterday, and when he got the first serve in it was difficult for Petzschner to win a point. Delpo will be more difficult, but he looked shaky/tired today. It will be interesting to see what happens. VAMOS RAFA! :)

2. miri says:

Thanks for posting! I just got back to the hotel and was going to post. I left early because I feel like hell and the fellow in the chair next to me is about as large as I am. I was tired of our sweaty selves rubbing up against each other.

I thought Rafa looked okay today – not great, not bad. He got the job done. I had one knee worry moment when he kind of stopped funny at the end of the run and then looked up towards what I assume was his team. Then, on the next change over, he was giving hand signals to them.

You guys really missed the best part, though. Just like yesterday, they had a special activity for him to do after the match. More about that eventually. I’m doing laundry in the hotel sink – so glamorous.

• mary says:

I’m feeling sick for you immediately, you poor thing. And heh you’re beautiful like the rest of us, si!
      We don’t get to see those little but very important things. Maybe it was Rafi signalling that he was ok. I’m keeping positive. I looked at the stats and they were good. He made 10 unforced errors throughout the game and from the 1st serves he got in he had 100% win rate until part way through the 2nd set. Good signs!
      Other talk around there according to the commentators is that Del Potro is amp: tired. He may have run out of puff. Have you heard anything?
      “Washing in laundry sink” Sacrifices have to made in the name of Rafa. Trust me I’ll be doing that at the AO. I gotta get me a press pass. He, he!!!

• mary says:

Btw Fed head didn’t look at his absolute best either. Hopeing Wawrinka too the guts out of him. Wishful thinking!

• mary says:

Sorry yeah I almost forgot. God I’ve had no sleep. See what ya do to us Mr. scrumptious. I saw a clip about him having a fun match with a gentleman in a wheel chair bec Ferrer ret. As he was leaving he gave all the ball boys/girls who were lined up in the tunnel high 5’s. Next lifetime Rafi, I know you’re taken in this one. LOL.

• dutchgirl says:

Aaaah, I missed that part!! I wanted to see him giving the high fives, he’s so cute at these kind of things!

Completely agree from what I saw on TV, he played not great, but not bad. He hit a few good winners and the serve seemed better than last match.

3. Kalliopeia says:

Del Potro might be feeling the effects of having gotten to the final last week and now going right into this week. One good thing about Rafa’s long layoff is that he’s undoubtedly completely rested, which is something we’ve never been able to say about him at this time of year before.

4. George McCauley says:

Rafa played very well. Delpi will be a big challenge. But delpi is quite inconsistet. Has his good games and bad games and sometimes looks phiscally tired on court. Fed just been victorious beating stan wawrinka 3 and 6 :(

It was a good warm up match for Rafa. He improved in all aspects of his game since match with Ferrer. Not much pressure on Rafa’s game or body, therefore no stress for me. Shame it was not more of a challenge or a longer match, or at least longer rallies to test Rafa’s physical and mental game.

Rafa’s interview:

Delpo will be totally different. They play the last match of the night Fri so Delpo will have maximum rest to recover from his match. Rafa will also know his game after losing to him in Miami earlier in the yr.
    OOP:

But after watching the end of the Roddick vs Verdasco match I still see Rafa having a long way to go before he gets back to his normal. Rod vs Ver were just quick, slugging it out and going for winners and taking risks and Rafa’s movement so far doesn’t seem to be able to do that just yet. I think Cincy will be more comfortable for Rafa, but so far so good.

6. sia says:

What does that mean miri ” You guys really missed the best part, though.” Oh you are such a tease!

7. RC says:

Rafa’s interview after the match.

• killian says:

thanks for this link, RC. our boy does not look at all happy in this interview. no smiles, downcast eyes, very low energy. . .i want the saunter and the JOY back!! i hope he is ok, and that the delpo match is a good one for him!! !vamos!

8. RC says:

An article about the match and more comments from Rafa.

9. Delta says:

Thanks all for the sites. Miri & Mary, your a hard act to follow with your well written articles & funny posts!
    When I say LOL, I really am. No question Nadal gives much to talk about, whether on court; ( thank goodness) & looking like he’s ready for his comeback! Or off court looking like his “delicious self!”
    BTW; all are entertaining & knowledgeable posts!

10. zombina says:

Thank you very much for your hard work on this site. I’ve been following the posts from Montreal with great interest. When watching the matches I can’t wait to see your post about what really happened.

I think he met an opponent not close to his level yesterday, one not able to figure out the spins of Rafa – quite entertaining to watch actually. Del Potro today, I can’t help but worry a little bit, but our man needs good matches to get into his best form, so… Vamos!

11. AnaR says:

Hi again. I hope to be wrong but I think what we’ve seen so far of Rafael has been a “mirage.” Ferrer was injury and he retired and the player with a difficult German name, was not in the height of his previous match against Robredo, perhaps as often it occurs he was impressed by having to Rafa ahead. Today is the first day that Rafael will match the true test against a rival impressively strong, physical (though not at his best) and especially mentally, we all know how are the argentinian mentally of strong and this great player , so young (only 20 years) and 6.5 height .. is impressive. If Rafa can win today to Delpo would have passed the test with the best note. But I think we should all be prepared for the worst .. I really feel deeply to say this, but it’s true. I am sorry.

• mary says:

AnaR,
      don’t fret. Rafa has reached the quarters. He must be delighted. He want’s the dream as much as us but he can only take one step at a time. He has improved so much already and Del Potro is tired and not always consistent. Rafa will have found more form by the time this match takes place. So who knows? Win or not Rafi is back and improving by the second!!!

• dutchgirl says:

That’s what I’m thinking, mary! I don’t really care if he wins against DelPotro (would be thrilled if he did, ofcourse), I just want to see him gain his rhythm and improving his physics and all.
        So it is with great calm I’m going to watch the match (even if it’s at an impossible time for me – around 2 am).

• mary says:

Where’s home for you as it is on around 9 am in the morning here or later. I’m too tired to think anymore. Too much tennis (never). He, he

• mary says:

I meant that’s when the tennis is on. Oh I need a coffee but I don’t drink coffee.

• dutchgirl says:

Home is in the Netherlands, Europe. For you it’s a much better time I guess. Well, I’m not really complaining, I’m just soooo happy to see him back in action again!

• xta says:

this should make you all feel better: i live in southern california and here ESPN is covering only 3 of the quarterfinals — they are NOT covering rafa’s match !!!

12. AnaR says:

Well I want to heed your advice. I will think in positive.. Rafaaaaaaaaa!.. ¡Vamosssssssssss!.

13. AnaR says:

I am watching the match between Federer and Tsonga and what a wonderful audience of Montreal! .. How are thrilled and standing up and how applaud to both! .. To both! .. ¡Fantastic spectacle that are giving the two great players!, But maybe the best is the public. Amazing.

• Clare says:

Great win to big Jo as well. He should be very proud of himself, given the awful predicament he was in in the third.
      And you’re right about the crowd Ana, they were great!!!

• mary says:

I was jumping up & down shouting my head off. I like Jo he’s cool & sweet. I was willing Jo on from 1-5 down. Thats when I first starting watching the match. Oh & did he respond? Now Fed might spend a couple of days with his newborns hey!!!! ;) :)
      Congrats Jo Wilford Tsonga. You’ve done yourself proud.

14. mary says:

I’ve just visited the official ATP site & they have quickly changed the header. It nows shows Murray (mooooory) v Rafa. That cracks me up. :) :)

• Suzanne says:

Rafi HAS to win tonight and it would be great if Jo Willie beats Moooooray, so Rafi stays at #2. Oh boy, it’s going to be an exciting night…Rafi’s joy must shine so that it blinds Delpo. Oh let’s get this match over with so that our boy can step on court before it’s too late at night. Miri, you must be floating on a cloud of anticipation! Mary, I vote for Andy R to win because it’ll get Rafi out sooner!!! He just won as I typed that last line…c’mon Rafi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Suzanne says:

Okay, one more…I just heard Chris Fowler say that ESPN will have the Nadal match on in the “wee hours”. What the heck is going on??? I can’t stand indecision!!!

15. mary says:

Oh Jeez louise, who do I want to win out of Nole and Andy R? Like em both. I know, my vote goes to Rafi!!!! Hope they both play well. Nothing against Del P., but por favor perder gracias!

16. faecoleman says:

I watched all the match last night. After reading all your comments on his first set with Ferrer I wasn’t expecting much. He’s serve was better? he did too many d/f I thought! but still, he’s movement although not great was better than I had expected and yes, not too many unforced errors, which is really good.
    My fave part was in the 2nd set when Rafa was with his back to the court, he played a defensive lob and it landed just inside the baseline, perfect! the response from the commentator was even more special. “thats what people have come to see, thats what has been missing from the tour” Rafa magic, mmm he is gonna need some of that tonight! Good luck Rafa!!!

17. Suzanne says:

Here is the direct link to watch it live online if you can’t wait until 12:30am eastern time. They are waiting for them to come on court right now.