FB – kick-ass Canadian moments

I’m about to be on my way to Montreal and thought I’d celebrate by enjoying some previous Canadian Open moments. This ends our little bit of flashback fun for now. Updates aren’t going to be frequent while I’m gone. I’ll do my best to catch up in the evenings as I’ll have wi-fi at the hotel, but please be patient.

2005 – Rafa wins his first hard court Master Serious title by beating Agassi:

Posted by RetroTennis; sent in by Atch2.

From that same match, the commentators laugh at Rafa’s “habits”:

Posted by Nereis8; sent in by RC.
2007 vs. Djokovic:

Posted by macacaosapao; sent in by Atch2.

2008: Roar!

Posted by meriko100; sent in by Wooffie.

Interview before last year’s tournament.

1. Delta says:

Notice on vid 2 when “time” is called, Rafa just takes his time and takes care of business. Seen this on many occassion. Part of his aura. Commentators expatiate about him in great detail. Who else garners that kind of attention. Nada, to my recollection?
    Vid 3, luv the quote Re; Nadal’s coverage of the court, “must be seen to be believed & never take the young Spainiard for granted.” Then again we already knew that no?

Personal note; kind words with regards to your departure. Enjoy & when you have the chance to correspond will wait with anticipation……………

2. mary says:

I’ll look at the above shortly, however, I’d like to say enjoy your trip miri. Hope it brings many happy memmories.

3. An says:

Love it!! All!

Miri i hope you have a fantastic time in Montreal!!! And i hope you have the experience off seeing Rafa win his first matches back on the tour..
    Enjoy, you and he both deserve it! We will be patient of course.

4. mary says:

That really cracked the commentaters right up in vd 2. Agassi also having a chuckle to himself. Btw these little quirks are some of the parts we love about him. And those winning cross court smashes and reaching them, thats our Rafi. I don’t think that will change. Vamos Rafa! You’ll always be “El ray de la pista”
    I found this poem and It reminded me of Rafi:
    Hail to thee, blithe spirit!
    Bird thou never wert,
    That from heaven, or near it,
    Pourest thy full heart
    In profuse strains of unpremeditated art.

Higher still and higher
    From the earth thou springest
    Like a cloud of fire;
    The blue deep thou wingest,
    And singing still dost soar, and soaring ever singest.

In the golden lightning
    Of the setting sun,
    O’er which clouds are brightening,
    Thou dost float and run
    Like an unbodied joy whose race is just begun.
    written by Percy Bysshe Shelley.

5. AnaR says:

Miri, many many thanks for recording these great moments… I am very excited.. with these vid… many thanks.. and I hope you enjoy your trip.

6. Carol says:

Don’t worry about the frequency – it’s your trip! Main thing is – enjoy the tennis (as well as Rafa) and Montreal too.

7. AnaR says:

It is funny, watching the second video (of my friend Nereis) and listening to commentators on the accuracy of Rafa in their tics during the matches and he is “very untidy”, so that these customs and fads are just on the matches.

8. annelie says:

Thanks Miri for all your contributions during the last 3 months. I never write but read yours every day. Have fun in Montreal.

9. neil in toronto says:

Miri, enjoy your trip!! Montreal is fantastic!! I’m just hoping for Rafa to LOOK happy on court, i feel like i haven’t seen him smiling during a tournament in ages!

Miri if any jerk runs onto the court to distract our Rafa, pls tackle them before they get to him. And u yourself keep safe and enjoy watching Rafa.
    We await his roar to echo around the world!

11. nic says:

Hahahaha omg love the ROAR!!! So passionate. So spicy Rafa! So awesome. And yes so gorgeous in that blue top in toronto last year.

12. killian says:

Have a Wonderful trip, Miri, and enjoy Montreal and Rafa to the fullest! ; )
    !Vamos!

13. Suzanne says:

Regarding vid 3…how the heck did he lose this match? I remember that the Djoker was playing out of his mind in the last three matches to defeat Roddick, then Rafi, then Fed but it’s funny how so very many of the outtakes shown of this match are points that Rafi won. Also, I remember during Indian Wells 2007, Darren Cahill was talking about the 2005 Toronto final and how Andre planned to step in and “murder” Rafa’s serve as it was fairly slow in 2005, but the ball jumped so fiercly off the court because of the spin that he ended up having to step back and take it later…this coming from the greatest returner of serves in the history of tennis! Let’s pray that the serve and all of his shots are spinning and jumping so fiercly that everyone has trouble with them!!!

14. faecoleman says:

Awh the Great Andre Agassi, I just loved Agassi, always remember how respectful Rafa was of him there too. If I’m right, Rafa know longer adjusts his socks does he? he did say that he was trying to cut back on his querks before in an interview.. With regard to the Djokovic match, that rocket backhands amazing when its on and how many times have we seen Djokovic aplauding Rafa like that! good sportsmanship too! Didn’t see that interview from last year, he was in gr8 form coming into Toronto then, what a contrast to this year. He talked of how sport was doing well in Spain there and little did he know he would go on to take the Gold in the Olympics, an inspired Rafa!, loved him in that french blue too. That was the start of his real rivalry with Murray there, I remember him saying that it was the best Murray had played him.. Love it when Rafa roars and he’s snarl is dead sexy too, those eyes, so devastatingly strong and intense!

15. Suzanne says:

Yeah, Rafi was going to try and cut back on the quirky stuff, but it seems like he only cut out the sock adjusting action. It is funny how he’s so fastidious with things on the court and Messy Marvin at home. But it’s all part of why we love him, he’s such a spectacular and yet regular guy! Also, when he’s had these great victories (Wimbledon, FO, Olympics, etc.) he speaks about the victories as for Spain. i.e. “Before this we had only one Manolo Santana title at Wimbledon for Spain, so now we have two. We must be very happy, no?” No wonder he’s their national hero! What a cutie pie. I sure hope Miri gets to see him for the whole week in Monty!!! (Us too!)

16. aRafaelite says:

I wish I’d seen that match against Agassi… the two most entertaining players of all time! Tennis heaven! And I can’t wait to see more kick-ass points like Vid 3 again. Oh, how I’ve missed that!

• Suzanne says:

They also had a good match at Wimbledon, in Andre’s last match there. Our Rafi was so respectful and kind (as we would expect of him). You can find clips of it on Youtube. Here is a clip of their on court interview after that match:

17. Wooffie says:

Miri,

Have a wonderful time in Montreal and I hope you catch a good glimpse of our Rafa for all the work you do on this site.

Vamos!!

18. cookie says:

Miri~
    Wishing you safe and joyful travels in Montreal! Take all of our good wishes and support for Rafa as you go! Hope a YouTube-r somewhere was able to catch the spectacle of extreme crowd delight at his long awaited reappearance at his entrance to the doubles match with Djokovic!