Confidence regained

Photo by MONSERRAT for MARCA

Photo by MONSERRAT for MARCA

AnaR points out this Marca.com interview with Rafa. It’s a rather lengthy interview and, as usual, Google translation chunks through in both a helpful and non-helpful manner. (Here’s a translation by Babelfish – suggested by @julesdc.)

If I’m honest I do not know if I am one hundred percent complete, I hope so, but no one realizes until it is in competition and force up to the end, until you can. I’ve trained ido ido me pretty well, I have improved a lot and I find the faith to be able to boot. If you get there and things do not go as you expect, it will be a small blow. But I hope not because if not, I would go.

Very reasonable attitude – nothing compares to match play for testing the health of the mind and the body.

Have you had many doubts among returning in Montreal or do a few days later?
In fact I have taken the decision today. I wanted to be sure they can get out and yes, I can hurt, but I did not want to get there and that was the first day I was wrong. I’ve trained four days with little pain, I feel confident running and now is the time to try.

I guess he always expects some pain? In regard to his upcoming schedule, he listed:

Montreal, Cincinnati, U.S. Open, Davis Cup, if I call and I have no setbacks, then Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai, Paris and London.

So, no real change from what he’d already scheduled.

Have you visited abroad or medical doctor ever?
To always (Cotorro) and some of his colleagues. Siempre he estado en buenas manos y no sólo de una opinión, sino de varias, que siempre es mejor. I have always been in good hands and not just an opinion, but several, which is always better. All have agreed quite well in the period, which is not an issue that read: “In a month is good.” This process is perhaps a bit slower, but good swelling is still there and no longer hurts

I hope google got that wrong and he really said that the swelling is no longer there. I’m assuming that’s the case. He goes on to say that his 2005 injury was worse and more painful. He also says that his greatest joy has come from winning important titles (Wimbledon, Australia, etc) and not from attaining the #1 ranking.

Has returned to the game with Soderling? Was it his most painful defeat and their worst match?
I did not see again. I do not know if it was the most painful defeat. At each moment each has his most painful defeat. Has been one of the few times that I have not had control of the situation at any time. I had no capacity. It was painful, of course. For everything, everything that was happening. Not only for the defeat at Roland Garros, which would not always win, but at the moment yes, because I had knee problems for quite some time, had a season emotionally a little hard and when all things come together and The blow fell in the tournament that makes you dream, then comes the slump.

You could see that lack of control or hope of gaining control over the match on his face.

The feeling that people have is that you, as good people, said yes to that commitment to Madrid Spain.

I think that’s what we all pretty much thought – he played because it was a “home” tournament. Rafa then goes on to show that, while he may be match creaky, he’s still good at deflecting those “predict your future” questions as he refuses to speculate on the rest of his season much less the rest of his career.

The pain does not go away ever?
The pain is always there and when you take a peak month without playing, you start to hurt even more, but things have improved a lot. Friday Saturday and quite properly trained and do not know if it is a well until force. And here I can not force.

Well, that answers my pain question. He goes on to try and move the conversation away from the family issue pointing out that he was winning during the problems and that he doesn’t read stories about himself so he didn’t know what was being said about his personal life in the press. He also says he doesn’t let the paparazzi stop him from doing what he wants to do. And finally, they discuss the support he’s received from family, friends and fans and how he is grateful for it. He was sad to miss playing Davis Cup because the atmosphere and support is always amazing, but he had to think of the bigger issue.

1. loverafa4ever says:

No changes in his schedule this year. I wish he had made some changes, like not playing 500 or something. He might get penalized 4 dat, or probably not, coz of his knee problem.

Anywayz, I liked the explanation he gav for his defeat at RG. Not being under control or being able to control is the worst feeling.

2. sia says:

Well I hope his experience in Montreal is a good one … he IS a pro so he will get back into the swing of things … interesting to see who his first few match rivals will be.
    Miri how can we possibly pick only two … although I’m really looking forward to that ‘game face’.

• An says:

Miri how can we possibly pick only two….

Yeah Miri can’t you ad “all the above” as a choice.
      Choosing was sooooo hard!

3. mary says:

It’s what I thought he won’t know how his knee will fair until it is tested by match play. What else can he do. As to his schedule I think all the tourneys he mentions are mandatory except davis cup. Just curious does anyone know how many davis cup challanges Rafa’s played in.? Also sounds exactly what some of us thought, that Rafa is the stubborn one and he decides where he wants to play & when.

• loverafa4ever says:

He can play a match and c how it goes. If its not wrking he can withdraw as its jst another masters serious. Its definitely a gud idea to c wr his knee stands. I am sure the crowd will go crazy when dey c Rafa back on court in action.

4. nic says:

Great interview with Rafa. Sounds like he’s full of confidence and mentally ready to play again. Rafa always manages to sound confident and full of self belief without coming off as obnoxious or full of himself. He’s just gorgeous inside out. And my oh my, that picture is pretty. He looks so fresh, and that smile is beautiful. Also, the tan, mmmm mmm mmm, he’s sure worked on that for the last 2 months. Oh Rafa, can’t wait for Monday!! Will I burst into tears when I see you on court, I wonder…

5. An says:

Yeah i think this is the best he can do… And we’ll hope and pray and have faith that evrything turns out fine!

Oh, and could i add that he looks absolutly gorgeus, AGAIN.

6. AnaR says:

Exactly this paragraph commented by Miri says,

Q.Doctors said that we will have Nadal for a lot of time?

A. This depends not only on doctors. That depends on me and of a lot of things. This has already been shown. I will do everything to that. I DO NOT THINK THAT IS THE END OF MY CAREER THIS PROBLEM IN THE KNEE. In 2005 the situation was much more difficult even to walk that now. He was 19 years and had just begin. I am 23 now, still few, and many more trophies in my room.

And we can to interpret on differents ways

7. AnaR says:

And tomorrow will be the second part of interview…

8. AnaR says:

But Miri.. on my opinion it is only half interview.. there is a lot of things that has not been translated.

9. AnaR says:

Of course where I say “he had 19 years” it must be say “I had 19 years” because is him who speaks. OMG!..

10. johanne says:

I love Rafa’s attitude – he’s realistic but ready to go. And it sounds like he’s pretty much come to terms with what’s happened and refuses to feel sorry for himself. No bitching and moaning from our boy; he just moves forward. Very mature. Loved the part where he talks about his great happiness being when he won big tournaments like Wimbledon (his dream!), AO, even the Olympic Gold. You can tell he’s still very passionate about tennis and wants more. I can’t wait for him to start up again. VAMOS RAFA!! :D

“So, no real change from what he’d already scheduled.”
    I’m guessing Rafa won’t officially nix any tourney before it gets closer to the time to play it. So maybe he’s just listing his planned schedule and when the time comes to play (or not), he’ll make the right decision. That’s what I hope, at least.

OH and did anyone else laugh at the Babelfish translation when it said “…the birth of the binoculars” ??? LOL! Classic.

• AnaR says:

Johanne, sometimes is the problem with google or similar translation, that the translations are a bit strange..and I was laughing with a part of this.

• johanne says:

Oh definitely. These automated translations are literal translations from one language to another, so the true meaning is often lost as a result. I knew what they were talking about, but it still really made me laugh! :D

11. Wooffie says:

I’ve been very lucky in that a two of our contributors to our Rafa thread have translated the article between them and its really been such an honest, detailed and insightful read.

Such a mature, balanced Rafa is coming out of it. Just when you think you couldn’t *love* him more … he does it again.

Its still going to be softly, softly I think in the up-coming weeks, but Rafa’s done as much as he can in practise and now needs the test of competition.

Whatever the outcome, I wish him the best. We’re so lucky to have him.

12. faecoleman says:

Yes, Rafa sounds optimistic although realistic. Its going to be amazing seeing him on court playing again, nerve wrecking, but still exciting! I hope Rafa can regain his confidence with a few good wins, he has overcome sooo much in his career, this alone gives me faith and I believe him too. Hence the quote he made, ” only in defeat can you give value to your victories!” that will go done as one of sports most greatest quotes ever! God bless you Rafael Nadal and VAMOS!!!

13. Carol says:

The actual Marca article has some more gorgeous pics. And AnaR says there will be more of the interview tomorrow… can hardly wait!

He looks so chilled and quietly confident here. Monday will be such a huge occasion, hopefully arriving a few days before will get him accustomed, but I imagine the first match will need courage (which he has in spades, thank God). Fingers, toes everything crossed for Rafa.

14. AnaR says:

Carol, I was looking for the second part of the interview today and by the moment it isn’t.. and this second part I prefer to translate it myself because in the first part only has translated a half. And on the other half of the interview Rafael talks about Federer and about The Davis Cup and about The Open USA and even about personal things and it is a very interesting interview. This is not on the english translation. Of course, If all of you wants and also want Miri.

15. mary says:

I read the entire google translated version. My eyes are seeing double dutch right now. I think I need to check my eyes or get a different translation. Very interesting and as always our Rafa gives open, natural and honest answers. I was a bit confussed when he said he had left 3 messeges for federer regards to wimby and birth of twins and had received 3 replies. Logic tells me he sent three messages and received no reply. I’m confused, but I’ll trust my gut and go with choice 2. Also if the translation is correct he still has inflamation in his knees, but little pain. Well I guess that Rafa will be fine and show any doubters that he is back and firing on all cylinders. We just have to keep praying

16. Carol says:

Just reading this again over lunch, both Google & Babelfish translations. LOL moments, but wish to heaven that the press would shut up about his family circumstances. It’s nobody’s business but the Nadal family’s. Period.

17. AnaR says:

I have done the translation more or less to all of you:

THE SPANISH TENNIS PLAYER ANNOUNCES ITS RETURN AFTER OVERCOMING PROBLEMS IN THE KNEE IN AN INTERVIEW WITH MARCA
    At his home in Porto Cristo, Balearic Isles, tastefully decorated by her mother, Rafa Nadal (Manacor, 1986) confesses with Marca. Yesterday, finally decided to return to the track in Montreal, the tournament that begins Saturday. Remains the same, a number 1 to outside criticism after his defeat by Soderling. The problem was simple: that his knees had said enough.
    Q: How are you physically? You said he would not return to the tracks until you are one hundred percent.
    A:I was better during the training. If I’m honest I do not know if I am one a hundred percent totally well, I hope so, but no one realizes until you are in a tournament and force up to the end all that you can. I’ve trained me pretty well, I have improved a lot and I have the faith to be able to boot. If you get there and the things do not go as you expect, it will be a small blow. But I hope not because if not, I would not go.
    Q. Have you had many doubts among to return to Montreal or do it a few days later?

A. In fact I have taken the decision today. I wanted to be sure it can get out and yes, I can hurt, but I did not want to get there and the first day see that I was wrong. I’ve trained four days with little pain, I feel confident in the continuing and now is the time to try.
    Q.Is this a historic opportunity to go back to win the Davis? With all due respect, Israel is in the semis.
    A.Yes, let’s be realistic. With Israel we should not lose at home. Be cautious, be aware of oneself, but now you have to understand that and win.

Q. In your calendar now enters the Davis Cup?
    A. Always on my calendar is the Davis.
    Accompanied in this case …
    Montreal, Cincinnati, U.S. Open, Davis Cup, if I am well and I have no setbacks, then Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai, Paris and London.
    Have you visited differents doctors or medical doctor from ever?
    As always (Cotorro) and some of his colleagues. I have always been in good hands and not just an opinion, but several, which is always better. All have agreed quite well in this period, which is not an issue that they can say: “In a month is well.” This process is perhaps a bit slower, but

But the doctors say there is Nadal for a long time?
    This depends not only on doctors. That depends on me and a lot of things. This has already been shown. I will do everything to that. I do not think that is the end of my career this problem in the knee. In 2005 the situation was much more difficult that to walk from now. He was 19 years and I was just at the beginning. I am 23 now, still few, and many more trophies in my room.
    But the obsession of the citizen is that he goes and the injury comes at the worst moment, when you is number 1.
    And when is a good time? When you are the number 2? maybe you could not have been number 1. This is where I want to go, thanks to the people for the support, but if I’m honest, my greatest joy has been when I won as number 1. My greatest happiness is when I won Wimbledon, when I won in Australia, when I won the games last year when they won the Davis, but I was not present last year, and when I won in 2004. In the end the number 1 … yes you are number 1. When it occurs the first time (the number one)I was very excited because after years as number 2 and that level was a goal, but to be number 1 and number 2 has not changed my life and I get up every morning happier. However when I won Wimbledon last year, following two months, I was so happy because I had achieved one of the dreams of my life.

Has returned to see the match with Soderling? Was it his most painful defeat or your worst match?
    I did not see it again. I do not know if it was the most painful defeat. At each moment each has his most painful defeat. Has been one of the few times that I have not had control of the situation at any time. I had no capacity. It was painful, of course. For everything, everything that was happening. Not only for the defeat at Roland Garros, which would not always win, but at the moment yes, because I had knee problems for quite some time, I had a season emotionally a little hard and when all things come together and the worst blow fell in the tournament that makes you dream, then comes the slump.
    Has acknowledged that was wrong to play in Madrid. You do not want return anymore as at those dates?
    Of course I will come back. I have not removed any tournament before, much less this. Now, if I arrive with the same feeling that this year, I must to learn from the mistakes. This is what I believe. Always I want to go over and I don’t know the limit, a maximum strength and I have always found situations and limits have been exceeded, no one knows how much longer I can. Like I said I was wrong to play in Madrid, I also say that I do not know if my result at Roland Garros would have been different and I would have reached either in Wimbledon. La sensación que tiene la gente es que usted, como es buena gente, dijo sí a Madrid por ese compromiso con España.
    Let us be clear. If the tournament is not in Madrid and is in another country, no game. We assure you. During the season I was playing well and after this all was too bad, I mean the three tournaments earth, I was playing very hard but with the problems in the knee, because I was already playing with infiltration and anti-inflammatory drugs. But it was in Spain and there are very few options to play. And I decided to play and was a great tournament, I was a great match against Djokovic and the atmosphere was unforgettable. I do not regret it. I was wrong, I think I was wrong. If you make the quiniela on Monday, no you are wrong.
    ¿Federer has jump on the bandwagon because his absence?
    Federer is where it deserves. Figures sing and that is the reality.

Is the swiss the best player in the history of tennis?
    He is the best in the history I’ve lived, that’s for sure. After Rod Laver from whom I only know what he did. A guy who twice won the Grand Slam and during seven years, which is supposed they were the best of his career, without competing in tournaments because at that time were amateurs (the tournaments), It said to me he was the best of history . But this never can tell and we have to wait that Federer finish his career. But it is true that the season was well underway. If things had been normal, I think I could have lived a final season with more calm.
    Is to speculate, but could now be thinking in three weeks to complete the Grand Slam?
    I do not like because I do not have raised nor when it would be perfect. I don’t think about it. If things would had gone well, I would have more confidence to the end of this year. But things are as they are and we must look ahead.
    Is able to reach the 15 he has achieved the great Federer?
    No, right now, no.
    And to reach double digits?
    How many I have? Six… well I don’t have the 40 percent.
    At his age, except Borg, no one had succeeded this ranking.
    I’m not saying it can not be achieved but I have always gone step by step. Both in my life as in my career. I think in the morning that I am going to train and train well. I come to Montreal and I can to win or lose, I go with the feeling to be back to compete with guarantees.
    To Federer has welcomed the two titles and the birth of the twins?
    The three times I sent him a message and the three times I received a reply.
    At the U.S. Open in a month is likely to do something?
    I do not know. Depends on different things. How are the two previous tournaments, how the knees respond, depends on whether the time when I reach the U.S. Open with the confidence to say, look, I’m ready. If I see that I had doubts in Montreal and Cincinnati, will be more difficult. You can say that I can get and make semis and quarter finals in both tournaments and to have bad feelings, or do second and third, and prepared me more.
    In recent times it is true that it has transmitted the same strengths in land hard that on the track. If in quick track I would have played so poorly as during the season of clay I couldn’t have won all that I have won. That’s the reality. When I’m playing well I can play at a similar level on quick track and on clay. Now, when I’m playing a normal level is easier to gain on clay quickly.
    There is the possibility of reaching the U.S. Open as world number 3Changed it the plans?
    Not at all. The goal is the same. There are clear opportunities, nearly reaching as many as 3 to 2 and we must be realistic. First because I must defend the more points I can, second because is Murray and I go less prepared than he. Hopefully not, but logic says that when a player takes a long time without playing injured it’s the logical thing to start with a lower rate than those who are in competition. That is what happens normally and I’m prepared to accept defeat and play badly. It is logical go and what to do is address the three tournaments that I play in America with a good face, with a positive attitude, think of every training and improving day by day.
    Ask you to the Spanish public a bit of patience?
    I’ve always been very prudent. Every one who thinks what he wants. I do not think on the U.S. Open if I’m honest. I will train in Montreal. I have not trained this week with good players that I can indicate the level at which I am. And then, although with a well training, I go to the first game of Montreal with huge doubts. I am going to work all you can to reach to the level that I have surrendered so far and try to improve my tennis. And if you fail, what are you going to do?
    Can spend with you what happened to Federer, who had mononucleosis and then he returned to be as before?
    Each has its distinct history. ¡I had signed that this happen to me! I’m fine where I am happy for everything that has happened to me, despite my injuries, I am aware that I am 23 years of a happy life and sport and I will be back to work. It’s good to be back. I will work to keep me on these numbers. My goal is not to think of the number 1 or 2. My goal is to feel happy and playing competitive opting to continue to win big tournaments.
    Are you aware that their duels with the Swiss are now at the height of the great encyclopedia of the Borg-McEnroe?
    Well, yes, it can be. I was amazed the other day when I Knew they have played only four Grand Slam final. Only four!
    But probably were the great duels in history because they spend beyond the game.
    It is clear that matches against Federer were greats very equals even, with great intensity. When I go to play the finals with him I feel something special, I guess that people feel the same.
    ¿Federer is a gentleman?
    Federer To me I’ve always fallen very well. I think the good thing about both is that we have always managed to lose besides winning. Both we protect by ourselves. He is perhaps more serious than me, and He has less relationships (with media or public) than me, but he is a gentleman..
    The day of the final, are together in the morning or prefer to mark distances?
    R. Not at all! If there are times that while we get the bands we’re talking. Obviously not talking about the final, but we talked quietly.
    What do you have called for in the Trevi Fountain when he threw the coin this year?
    I do not remember, really. Surely to see if he was winning in Rome this week, I do not know.
    That cluster of questions is similar to what was in 2005 with the problems on his foot that you must stopping for four months?
    That was a much more serious problem, I believe. In 2005 was a theme that became really dangerous. This takes time, I know, but it isn’t dangerous.
    ¿Then feared (at that time on 2005)for his career?
    Rather than to be able to continue my career really I feared for to be at the same level. Like it or not this was the first year that it had exploded, the first time that I end as number 2 and now been a few years ago and I am more relaxed having won everything that I won today. That gives me peace of mind, whatever happens I have already done enough things
    The pain does not go away ever?
    The pain is always there and when you take a few month without playing, it start to hurt even more, but things have improved a lot. Friday and Saturday I was training quite well and one do not know if the knee well until forcing it. And here I can not forcing it.
    Is there no risk of to break again?
    It is not broken. Risks when competing with a high intensity there is always. My problem is two edemas in the insertion of the knees, a long-term problem, which is not like a broken fiber are three weeks and you get back.
    Have you had something good this stop? I dunno, more free time.
    I had so little. I could go out with friends, but the day to day was hard because I am an active person, I love playing football and all I do is focused on the sport. And go to the beach to the hammock, because truth is not very fun. They told me for recovering that I had to spend much time on the couch. Luckily I have seen quite a few athletes to win to Spain, as Pau Gasol with the ring, Contador the Tour or the World of Swimming, which has go us quite well. It was a quieter life than I would have liked and the bit positive.
    Psychologically has been good? Were you a bit overwhelmed?
    Saturated No, no. Were being the best years of my life until the problems came. Had won in Australia, I won Indian Wells quarter-finals in Miami, I won Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid final … Well from Montecarlo I was not playing as I should, in my view, while I still was winning … But until that time had not made any other year like this.
    Had you recognized that you were not playing well …
    Yes, Yes, it was a bit everything at once. I was playing with a lack of movement and it was increasing it because it is a product of how things had been in recent months and is holding. By the problem I had on the knee I could not train, or with the intensity with which I am accustomed to train and you goes gradually changing the level a bit more low. There comes a time when the pain can not stand every day because it limits a lot, but I am used to playing with him. If you are limits you can’t work and every day you need more careful to support. In other sports can do it, but in tennis you are depending by a support and then another, and I could not have the level I needed to be where I wanted to be.
    The victories were a balm?
    Many times I’ve played with pain in my career and I’ve overcome it and you never know where is the limit. I was playing with pain, but the season was very important, had come to the Clay and were in the tournament for me (RG) and I really like those that are important in the year as Monte Carlo, I love Rome too, Barcelona , Madrid, which was the first year it was played in that new building and being in Spain I had a special dream. So I was waiting and living with it, hoping to solve it.
    It is not surprising that you did not saw the final of Roland Garros and Wimbledon? is something usually don’t see much tennis or it was due to other reasons?
    The Roland Garros final, I didn’t see it. Only the last three points, was on the golf. I stopped and watching the last game and the truth is that I was happy for him (Federer) because I think they deserved it. Wimbledon saw it.
    With Del Potro lost in Miami, and said: “I know why I lost but I will not say it.” In that moment is where the knee began to hurt with more intensity?
    My real problems start after the knee in Miami. In this site I was already a long time away and I will not talk about my personal life because I did not ever, but if I had several family problems at time and I was very affected. I did not have head for the level at which I compete. I didn’t have head.P.
    What do you say to the ignorant who blamed his slump to separation from its parents mixing it all?
    The family problems arrived just after Australia. I was going to Rotterdam a few days later and I came to the final game and I won Indian Wells, Miami quarter-finals and I won three tournaments during the season of Clay. There is not admit discussion. Of course that affects you emotionally and you have a worse play, not help. After of all by the crazy of sport is to win and when there are external problems that affect so close and you’re away from home, you lose the Plus. But even without this plus I won.
    Being a guy so discreet, how you lived the appearing in leading newspapers with such family matters?
    Well. I normally do not read anything about me, nor good nor bad.
    Something will have arrived.
    R. I never heard nothing about it nor have read nothing about it. I know nothing of what has been published, but at the end the journalists are free and can write what they want.
    Do the paparazzi have prevented you from doing something you had thought it?
    I have never stopped. I have never stopped doing anything because they would take a picture or not. And if they do it, bad luck.
    Have you had much help from his friends in recent months?
    Of my friends, my family and also from many people, including many who did not know. Many messages in the website and on my phone that I still have to reply. Sorry.
    How many SMS you arrived?
    Many people I do not know how many, many.
    When Albert Costa has called you for the elimination of the Davis still you take time during four days. Did you expect a miracle?
    I told him it was very complicated, almost impossible. That 90 percent the possibilities were I can not playing, I’m not prepared. But he insisted and told me: “I give you four days and after we are talking” I had to decide on Tuesday and I told him that perfect, that we will discussed that issue in four days.
    Because to be you removed from the Davis Cup cost to you a lot.
    It feels much more special and play it at home. It’s an unbelievable feeling playing in front of your audience because you do not have many opportunities that arise and always I try to take advantage of it. It is always hard, but this case was not so hard because I came from losing things so important that it was just one more.
    Continuing on television, I guess that would see the banners that hung from the railings of the square was encouraging. What is your magnetism with the audience that you do not have the rest?
    I never ask this to me. I do not know, in the recent years the results have been with me a lot, people go to the right people and with those who win. I do not know if I am correct or not, at least I have always tried and I will continue trying, and to obtain the best results. But not just me. We are experiencing many Spaniards and it’s a spectacular stage. I am very happy to belong to this generation.

18. AnaR says:

Sorry for my mistakes! I promise you all to study more and more..

and second part of the interview.

I don’t have the translation yet but tomorrow I can do it. If you want of course..

19. AnaR says:

In reality it is worth only the first part because in this second part he’s talking about football and he talks almost nothing about tennis .. but if all of you wants, I can translate the interview. Or make a resume.

20. An says:

ThanX again! We all apreciate youre hard work so much!!

21. bewty says:

i away love Rafa+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

he will coming to bangkok…i’m very happy!!!!

22. Carol says:

Whew, that must have taken you so long :-0 – thanks for all your efforts.

“I am happy for everything that has happened to me, despite my injuries, I am aware that I am 23 years of a happy life and sport and I will be back to work. It’s good to be back. I will work to keep me on these numbers. My goal is not to think of the number 1 or 2. My goal is to feel happy and playing competitive opting to continue to win big tournaments.” I just love this bit.