Rankings – August 3rd

The new rankings are out and I forgot about last year’s Cinci points dropping this week when I was all gloom and doom last week. Murray’s still gaining on Rafa, but it’s not as close as I thought. Sorry I’m stupid! Davydenko and Simon switched places this week.

Pos Name Points Pos Moved Tourns Played
1 Federer, Roger 11,060 0 15
2 Nadal, Rafael 9,285 0 16
3 Murray, Andy 8,260 0 18
4 Djokovic, Novak 7,380 0 21
5 Roddick, Andy 5,470 0 21
6 Del Potro, Juan Martin 5,005 0 22
7 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried 3,695 0 22
8 Davydenko, Nikolay 3,525 +1 22
8 Simon, Gilles 3,330 -1 27
10 Verdasco, Fernando 3,135 0 22

1. Manahil says:

Well dis is a relief! Murray was really close lsat time i saw da rankings..but look at federer..hes shot 1775 pts ahead..well we`ll hav to 4get abt da no1 rankin for quiet a while it seems..

• Zombina says:

Oh the number one ranking. I want Rafa to have it back ASAP. But you are right. The olympic pts dropping will make Fed get even further ahead.

Hoping for Rafa to kick serious ass when he comes back, not too long now, no? He is number two right now, but I hope its not too long until he is back where he belongs. And we all know where that is… :-)

2. loverafa4ever says:

I was lookin at the official website, and when I looked at the ranking points I was like, wat happened to Murray. how come he is 1000 points away from Rafa now, when he was like a couple of hundred points away from him a week or 2 back. Datz gud, I am glad Rafa is still leading. He will have to pick up points in Montreal and Cincinnati tho, as 800 points frm Olympics will drop before USO.

• Suzanne says:

I don’t get the ranking points either. Last week he was only slightly behind Fed, and now he’s almost 1800 points behind. I was also thinking how ironic it is that last year when Rafi took over the #1 ranking, Fed said that he was glad that it happened that way because someone “earned” it and not as a result of his “losing it” because of injury or something similar…Funny how the reverse has happened this year and none of the Fed-lovers in the sports media has mentioned it (to tell the “true” it just occurred to me now)…interesting turn of events. Let’s hope that Rafa “earns” it back even though it’s not a “goal” for him right now. If he wins Monty and Cincy (or does really well in them) and Fed goes out before the semis and then Rafi goes on to win the US Open, number one could be returning to our boy. Oh how he deserves it after all he’s been through…finish the year strong for the first time, Rafi!!!

• loverafa4ever says:

i was thinking the same… if he wins the next three tourneys including the USO he will replace Fed. But thats too much to ask for. Rafa needs to find the rhythm, and make sure that he is not hurting his knee. Even if he doesnt get the number one ranking its fine. He can get it back if he is in his 300%. For him to be at his 300%, he needs to take it a little easy at Montreal and Cinci.

I remember Fed saying this again in AO this year when he was asked
        something abt ranking, this is wat he said

” The ranking just shows how consistent you’ve been over a longer period of time. But then I don’t know, you figure out Rafa will get injured through French Open and Wimbledon, so then he’s not No. 1 and 2 in the world anymore, but just because he’s been injured. It’s not always 100% accurate. ”

Amazing tho. This guy said it and it became true.

3. faecoleman says:

Yeah all the best for Rafa in the upcoming months! oh and damn the olympic points, it seems unfair that he should lose those when you only get to play every 4 years! Thanx for the explanation Miri, I too was worried last week!

4. Criss says:

I have a question. I’m not familiar with the ranking system and I don’t know: why those points dropped?

Players keep their points for 52 weeks. Usually, that means they are aligned so that they drop off just as the points from the current year tournament are added. Last year, however, the Olympics mucked up the schedule so that points are dropping before the current year tournament is played.