Rankings – July 27th

New rankings are out. The gap between Murray and Rafa closes a good chunk with the dropping of last year’s Rogers Cup points. Tsonga moves up and Davydenko returns to the top ten.

Pos Name Points Pos Moved Tourns Played
1 Federer, Roger 11,210 0 16
2 Nadal, Rafael 9,735 0 17
3 Murray, Andy 9,260 0 19
4 Djokovic, Novak 7,990 0 22
5 Roddick, Andy 5,380 0 22
6 Del Potro, Juan Martin 5,005 0 22
7 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried 3,600 +1 23
8 Simon, Gilles 3,310 -1 28
9 Davydenko, Nikolay 3,285 +3 22
10 Verdasco, Fernando 3,245 -1 23

Just a note – last year’s Olympics points drop on the 17th. Rafa will lose 800 points while Murray will drop 10. Since they are currently separated by only 475 points, Rafa must finish significantly better than Andy in Montreal to maintain his #2 ranking.

1. nic says:

Oh no! I didn’t realise Andy was so close on Rafa’s tail. Gahd, it would kill me to see Rafa drop to no. 3. That would really hurt no matter what anyone says. At least Rafa at no. 2 kind of seems familiar, and it’s between Rog and him for the top 2 positions, but should Andy creep into their long held territory, I think that would be so sad. Hope Rafa is able to bring some form into Montreal. You can do it Rafa!! Vamos!! We’re behind you!!

2. johanne says:

Oh no. Bleh! But at least it’s pretty obvious why Rafa would drop to No. 3. It’s not like he’s been going out in the first rounds of tourneys – he’s injured. And just compared to last year, he didn’t do nearly as well at the FO, had to pull out of Wimby, and now he’ll lose the Olympic points. Sucks, but oh well. He’s still my main tennis squeeze. ;)

3. loverafa4ever says:

Andy has a lot of points to defend at the US open and also after the US open. I hope the gap gets better after the US open. I hope Rafa will be able to defend his title, or he can also catch up in Cincinnati wr Andy is the defending champ. A slip to the third ranking is going 2 really bad and the i dont like the thot of Andy breaking into the top 2. I want him to stay as number 3 or 4 for a while. He is not ready to be the number 2 yet. He can be number 2, but he shud replace Roger and not Rafa.

The main thing is that I think Rafa will be OK with the fact that he might not stay as #2 either. He’ll know how well Andy Murray has done this last season and be sensible enough to know that if he comes back and does well, it won’t take long before he’s back in the #2 spot again. Or even #1, although I think that might take a while…

• johanne says:

Very true. And personally, I like Andy Murray and think he’s a great player, so I’m not like against his progression or anything. It’s just that it will be kinda strange to see Rafa ranked at No. 3. I mean I’d get over it, but I think at first I’ll be like “BOO!” :)

5. aRafaelite says:

Have faith… he won’t stay at No. 2 or No. 3 long… he’ll be back on top where he belongs within a year! I’m sorry dear Gonzo has dropped from the Top Ten – too many of my favourites taking time out at the moment :(

6. faecoleman says:

I think you have it spot on CC, Rafa is professional enough to realise that its through he’s lack of defending points over the last months should he fall to no.3 and he has so much respect for Andy too. Its gonna be alot to expect from Rafa to go into a prestigious tourney like Montreal as defending champion yet coming off injury so its probably best not to expect too much. We all know though how tough a competitor Rafa is and being behind will make him all the more dangerous to his opponents so yeah not to worry. We must have faith after all “he is Nadal”.

7. An says:

Exactly! He is Nadal, enough said, evrybody knows that name!

We need Rafa back strong and healthy, thats what mathers, nothing else to me…
    And when he’s back he will go up the rankings again.

So 1000 points fm Montreal has already been dropped from the above? And if Rafa doesn’t play on 10 Aug, this will be his points until Cincinnati?

As stated above: last year’s Olympics points drop on the 17th. Rafa will lose 800 points while Murray will drop 10.

• Atch2 says:

Sorry Miri. Missed that bit.
        If Rafa misses Montreal it’s gonna mighty tight for no. 2 and 3 rankings going into Cin and USO. But Rafa did say “My main objective is not to regain the number one ranking. My main goal is to be well and happy to be playing tennis,”