Interview with Toni

Photo via elmundo.es

Photo via elmundo.es

Here’s an interview with Uncle Toni in elmundo.es. I wish I had a good translation, however, as the Google translation is headache inspiring; Babelfish isn’t much better.

(Wooffie sent this in a bit ago;it got lost in my in-box – sorry.)

1. loverafa4ever says:

Phew… very difficult to get nething outta dat translation.

As much as I love and admire uncle Toni, I…

*looks over shoulders*
    *whispers*

…sometimes think he comes across as a little…pretentious. Schhh… Don’t tell anyone. I think it’s the quotes.

But he’s very right in many things, like what he says about education.

3. dutchgirl says:

I have to admit I couldn’t bring myself to reading the entire interview with this translation…
    And CC, you don’t need to whisper about the pretentiousness (is that a word?) of Toni, sometimes I get the same impression. A bit like he knows what’s best for everybody.
    Fact is, I usually agree with him.

Yeah, I usually agree with it all, as well. It’s just when he brings Churchill in that I sigh a bit. ;)

4. sia says:

It would be great to read a ‘real’ translation, sometime, of a session with Toni. I like the fact that he likes to voice his opinions (about all kinds of things, not just tennis). Makes me think that Rafa has a world of ideas around him … coming from various family members, no doubt … and that his life will be richer for it.
    There are probably great political debates around the dinner table (even if they are at a hotel dinning room)… and that helps to keep the ‘bigger than a tennis court’ world in focus. Good for our Rafa’s soul.

5. mary says:

Well that translation wasn’t confusing much. Der! Toni seams to be a very “colm” & deliberate thinker & responder to the interviewer. I think he comes across as pretentious bec he is very confident in who he is. To us that can be construed as (whispers) arrogant. He is not at all happy about press taken pics of Rafa’s private life. Legislation preventing such “don’t think that will happen”. We love our Rafa Uncle Toni & believe me we have seen much sexier pics & films when he is on court or being massaged! What? I said nothing about his crotch!

Don’t think he comes across as being arrogant, though. He always seems humble and sweet to me!

6. nic says:

Man, that was pretty tough to get through the entire thing cos of the translation. But you can get the gist of what was being said. I so wish I could read a proper translation to get a proper insight into Toni’s thoughts and the way he expresses them.

I admire Toni alot, for his life philosophy, his openness, his sensitivity to the world around him, and the values he tries to live by. It’s true that he’s known to throw in some quotes here and there, but that’s just because he is a well read man and he is a thoughtful person.

I love what he said about people who pose their opinions as the absolute truth, but he is more open to discussion and the possibilities of other opinions/ perspectives. He’s obviously been a great influence on Rafa, and I can’t imagine the rest of their family not being of the same mold. The Nadal’s seem to be a lovely bunch, and I love that Rafa is cut from the same cloth.

Man the translation is a challenge to read and funny at times. ‘Glass Davis’= Davis Cup? It’s like complicated poetry.

But it’s nice to hear that Uncle Toni is there for Rafa as a Trainer when he needs to be, and an Uncle at others.

8. Debbie says:

I think to a point Toni can come across as a bit pretentious and dare I say a tad stern but certainly not arrogant or above his station, he clearly knows what he’s talking about just look at the success he and Rafa have had together. Also he’s clearly a very knowledgable man which can only be good for Rafa not only for his game but for his mind and as Uncle and coach combined he’s done a pretty good job of keeping Rafa humble and turning him into the guy we know and love. I have such a soft spot for Toni particularly since seeing him signing the autographs in France and trying to walk away but being drawn back so I’ve a lot of respect for him.