So long, Mathieu Montcourt

French tennis player Matheiu Montcourt was found dead today at the tender age of 24. Rafa has released the following statement on his website.

This morning I woke up with one of the worst news anyone can receive. I heard about the death of our friend Mathieu Montcourt. I am still under shock for this. I can’t believe it.

I knew Mathieu since we were kids. We competed together at all the events at an international level there is since you are a kid: Les Petit As, Copa Borotta, etc. and of course afterwards once becoming professionals,.

When someone like this disappears, when something like this happens, you really know where we are and the relativeness of winning or losing a tennis match, of not competing at an event or anything else. This is the loss of a guy who was only 24 and that was sports person. He won’t be playing with us again.

I would like to send my most deep and sincere condolences to his family, to his friends and to the French fans.

Mathieu, Rest in peace.

Rafa Nadal

1. faecoleman says:

This is sooo sad, god rest his soul.

2. Reg says:

Very Sad for tennis indeed. Sad news for young talents, one after another. Hope one day Nadal and Gasquet will come back bigger and stronger.

3. mary says:

He was only 24 how did he die? I never watch the news or TV except footy and tennis. 24 is just too young!!!! Rafa was quick to respond with much sympathy for Mathieu’s’ friends and family. Thats our guy.

• dutchgirl says:

That’s what I thought. I read about it in the paper yesterday and this morning I saw Rafa’s reaction on his site. Very respectful, as we are used to. It’s a tragedy when people die at such young age.
      By coincidence this news came to me the same day I heard a former colleague of mine committed suicide. Pretty heavy all together. So I can relate to Rafa when he says events like this put things in perspective.
      Hey, if we have to wait another month for Rafa to come back, no big deal.

• Ch F says:

I read the french news this morning. They say the cause is still unknown, apparently they want to be sure before they make an official announcement, but it must be due to a lung problem. It’s really very sad; but I was happy to see Rafa was actually the first-if not the only one-to react so quickly.

4. Max Wood says:

We love Rafa because he is much more than a just a big sport figure. I can’t say enough about Rafa’s genuine character–it’s so hard to find these days when everything is all about fame and money. I hope the youngsters are more exposed to Rafa’s character. Thank you, Rafa for helping me to hopeful and be proud of being a human!

• aRafaelite says:

It’s refreshing isn’t it? I’ve always been shy of admitting to being a fan of anyone who isn’t a scientist / conservationist / humanitarian, but I’m proud to be a fan of Rafa. He’s an excellent role model, and it’s wonderful to see how many young fans he has.

• nic says:

This is such sad news. The thought of anyone passing at such a young age is tragic. Poor man and his family. May he rest in peace.

And yes, I’m so glad that I’m a fan of Rafa. Someone who is so genuine and speaks absolutely from the heart when it matters most. He doesn’t have to rethink things like this, he just knew he wanted to put a statement out on his site. And he always puts things into perspective. What a sensitive soul.

5. June says:

Yes, I agree that the news of that French tennis player is awful to hear about him dying at such a young age — may he RIP — his family must be devastated. I too, am happy to be a Rafanatic also & can’t wait till RAFA returns to the court & hope he had a good rest being at home w/his family & friends. He needs to know that his fans miss him terribly — it’s been way too long seeing him play his game :-)

6. miri says:

Looks like he died of a heart attack. 24 year old and fit…and a heart attack.

• mary says:

Wow!! So young, too young! Makes you look at life from a different perspective. I had a friend who died from a heart attack at the age of 32 and I thought that was young. His family, it would be very hard for them right now.

7. faecoleman says:

So young to die of a heart attack, his poor family, what a shock, and god bless Rafa, how thoughtful of him to post it on his site as a tribute, really honourable.