Montreal? It’s on!

Photo via as.com

Photo via as.com

Well, at least according to this article at as.com. I’m choosing to believe it because it makes me happy. Google translation:

Nadal will return to compete in the 1000 Montreal Masters

On August 8th is the date of the return of the Mallorcan, who has missed Wimbledon due to injury, also may not compete in the Davis Cup tie with Germany, and Roger Federer looks like he can snatch the number 1 worldwide.

On August 8, when it begins the 1000 Masters in Montreal, is the timing for return to the competition of Rafa Nadal. The Spanish in Majorca is recovering from physical problems that he suffered at Roland Garros and has slowed down in a crucial moment of the season, as it has not been able to defend his Wimbledon title, and that can cost you the number 1 and can be back into the hands of Roger Federer.

This time Rafa Nadal has chosen not to force the machine and can not dispute that Davis Cup tie will face in Marbella Spain and Germany next weekend for a spot in the semifinals of the tournament ‘Salad’. Furthermore, Nadal seems to have assumed that from now on will have to change their priorities and how to plan the season to focus only on the most important tournaments: Grand Slam and Masters 1000.

Dr. Ruiz Cotorro has confirmed that the tennis mallorquín be retrieved with sufficient margin to cope with the Montreal Masters. The illusion Nadal from now is to focus on the fast track season and prepare American consciousness the U.S. Open, the ‘big’ that gets worse as it is in fact the only one who has not yet won.

1. johanne says:

The ‘big’ that gets worse??? ‘Salad’ tournament?! These translations are something else… :)

It will be a beautiful day when Rafa is back on the tennis court. If he does well at Montreal, he should skip Cincy. Sorry, but the ATP can shove their back-to-back Masters 1000s up their a**!

• mary says:

Here here, I agree with you Johanne 100%.
      The ‘big’ that gets worse??? ‘Salad’ tournament?! I’m confused!
      If more top seed players take a stand like Rafa the ATP are going to have to rethink the scheduling. Players are humans not machines.
      Anyways it will be so good to see our Rafa back. I feel sorry that he has to have so much therapy daily. Doesn’t allow him much time to socialize.

• Vic says:

hahahah, machines, machines.
      It says the “big one” he is not as good at, and in fact the only one he hasn’t won yet.

2. Mikhas says:

I agree johanne

3. Diane says:

Noooo!! He should skip Montreal, and do Cincy. I can go to Cincy. But I do agree about the back-to-back Masters events. It’s too much.

Them’s fightin’ words, little missy! Montreal would be much better. ;)

• Diane says:

Not for me! :)

Screw you, it’s all about me! Meeeeee! ;)

• mary says:

Hey I live in Aus. and I have to travel over 2000klm from my home to melbourne if I wan’t the opportunity to see him and god knows how many extra miles/klms to see him at overseas tourny’s. It’s hard as we all want him to play at a tourny thats close, but we now know that won’t happen with some masters

• aRafaelite says:

Well said Mary, plus another 1000km for me from North Queensland! Am still hoping to be there next year though – have got the date tickets are available in my diary!

• mary says:

aRafaelite, I too am going to the AO. I have secured tickets already (at a huge cost). I’m hanging out sooooooooooo badly to see him in the flesh (I wish). So I am going to be positive and know that he will be there to defend his title.
              I just can’t wait to see him back on centre court. Rafa has a duty to his health first and formost, but I wonder does he have any idea how many of us are truly missing him.

• Atch2 says:

How can u get tickets now? My Dad and I went this to AO yr on a last minute decision, in the middle of the tourney and had to pay heaps more fm an agent. But it was worth it. Saw Rafa in 3 matches, including the one with against Simon (and this funny post-match interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgNVJJJDn_A ).
                For 2010 I am buying early. When do the tickets go on sale?

• mary says:

I have purchased a package deal through sportsnet. I am guarranteed tickets and a 90% chance of tier 1 seats. I will be one little happy camper if thats the case

Well, I think it’s farther than that for me to go to Montreal. Cinci is closer to me, but I picked Montreal because it’s the city I wanted to visit more. I’ll still have fun if Rafa isn’t there, but, as with most things, a little Rafa would make it much better. :)

• kefuoe says:

I’m with Miri on this one, I’m afraid. I’m taking the trip to Montreal, so of course I want to see Nadal. But solely as a travel destination, Montreal trumps Cinci easily.

• Kalliopeia says:

I don’t think so!!!!! :D

• Marla says:

NO, no, no, I have tickets – planes, cars, hotel, tourny for montreal. He has to be there, or I got some really good seats to sell for Rogers Cup. I am actually closer to Cincy, but I picked Montreal because he always does better there.

4. loverafa4ever says:

He shud play Montreal and take it easy at Cincinnati… Can’t wait to see this guy playing. I have never missed anybody so much.

5. Thorfrost says:

Great news if he’s fit to come back!!
    I agree he should miss Cincy, there’s no point taking his time to come back and then busting his gut to compete two tournies back to back.
    USO is what it’s all about this year Rafa!!

6. faecoleman says:

Yeah I hope he skips Cincy less points to defend! Can’t wait to see him back, gonna be tough for him though. (musn’t get pessemistic sorry folks*), common Rafa!! USO here we come! I am praying he gets to the O2 in November, I have tickets and really wanna see him!! Could this be a great end to a great beginning for Rafa this year? oh Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee! desperately wonna see him stamp his authority again, too much Roger hype going in at the moment!!

7. MamaG says:

He may miss defending a lot of points this year and fall in the rankings, but just look at the possibilities for next year. He can cut back his schedule without worrying too much about his ranking and start to play just the most important events from here out. I almost wish he could skip Montreal and Cincy but I know he’ll need some match play before the USOpen. I’ve seen him there the last 3 years and am looking forward to this year. It would be great if he could achieve the career slam the same year as Federer.

As to the ATP Masters schedule. It makes no sense and is too hard on all the players. Personally, I believe it should be more fair as to surface….2 indoor(hard or carpet), 2 clay, 2 grass, 2 outdoor hard…..and they should be spread out a little more throughout the year. Of course, I think the FO and Wimbledon are too close as well.

It will be great to see Rafa back in action. It’s been quite depressing without him…so much so that I rarely watch tennis while I couldn’t wait to see it before the FO even when he wasn’t playing. I just hope he’s well and has the knee problem under control.

Vamos Rafa!

8. June says:

Thanks Miri & Atch2. I am happy to hear that & just love that video w/Jim Courier of RAFA. He seems so happy & it’s not a dull, boring interview. I have no doopts that he will defend his AO title. I wonder just how many towels from tournaments he has back home in Mallorca? I agree MamaG there are way too many tournaments & they need to fix that crazy schedule for sure, no.

• mary says:

I didn’t miss one match (idiot box) of Rafa’s at the AO and every match he played he took at least one towel. This got the better of Jim Courier who was the commentator for the event and made mention of it every match finally having to ask Rafa in the interview. Don’t you just melt when you see and hear his cute demeanour.

9. Ch F says:

Great news!! He has to forget about the injury and come back strong and eager to win cause when he’s not there, you see what happens: Roger just goes out there and wins it all. ;-)

1. July 5, 2009

[…] article printed on as.com and translated by nadalnews.com reports that Rafa will be returning to action in Montreal, the first ATP World Tour 1000 series […]

2. July 10, 2009

[…] Rafa’s wearing the Nike Men’s Fall Double Bold Polo ($60) to his comeback for the season in Montreal. […]