FB – speaking of Bastad…

Weren’t we speaking of Bastad? Like earlier today? Or, at least, watching a clip of young Rafa playing in Bastad? I forget. My mind wanders a lot these days.

Wait, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, Bastad. (Can you tell I don’t have anything to post here but a photo and am just babbling for filler?)

In case anyone missed it in the comments thread, CC treated us to this photo from the 2003 Bastad tournament…

Photo by Arne Forsell / Image Office

Photo by Arne Forsell / Image Office

1. dutchgirl says:

I saw the pic throug CC’s link (along with the bad hair day comments), but I like it that you posted it here. It’s priceless!

2. Sarah says:

Is that the Sod?

3. Wooffie says:

No wonder the Sod hates Rafa … how beautiful is he standing next to that!!!

4. nereis says:

Cute and his hair is <333

Thanks for posting, CC. Someone needs to erase the toad though.

5. AnaR says:

I hate this man.. it’s so stupid!.. tomorrow he will play against Federer.. and I hope that the winner will be Roger.. even until this level I hate him. And here shocked yet by the decease of Michael Jackson. Totally in shock!.

6. loverafa4ever says:

Nobody will even notice Sod in this picture… Rafa looks too good.

Um…let’s face it guys, they both look like complete dorks here. Which is why I love this photo, though. :)

“Someone needs to erase the toad though.” “…even until this level I hate him.” That ain’t pretty!

Why do people hate Robin Söderling so much? Beacause he beat Rafa once? Because he “mocked” Rafa by pulling at his shorts two years ago?

Do tell, because I don’t understand.

• eliza says:

Speaking for myself, it’s because he has made it very clear that he loathes Rafa. Also because he made a big deal out of beating Rafa at the FO, then once he got to the final he rolled over for Federer, acting like he was happy to lose to him. I expect the same thing to happen today.

• mary says:

I couldn’t agree more with you eliza. Fancy “rolling over for the Fed”.You hit the nail on the head (colloq).
        Rafa once said that the last 5/6 times he ran into Sod. (toad) after saying hello to him each time Sod absolutely ignored him.
        So there, that’s my excuse for disliking a rude and arrogant thing!

• Atch2 says:

I didn’t like Sod since that Wimby 07 match against Rafa. It was a long 5 set match played over about 4days with non stop rain interruptions. Everyone was frustrated including Rafa. And Sod had to take it to the next level by imitating Rafa on court. There are mind games to make your opponents lose their concentration but he was immature and having laugh at Rafa’s expense. I think his behaviour and attitude sucks. If Sod has a problem with Rafa taking his time btw points or whatever, raise it with the umpire.

And also look at Rome 09. He tried to deceive the umpire abt a line call. It was also another occasion where Sod showed his rude and abusive behaviour.

Roddick and Nole imitate Rafa but in a friendly way. They know the time and place to do it and Rafa can take the joke. Just look at the Rome 2009 prize ceremony. Nole once said that he wouldn’t dare do the imitations during a match with Rafa bec he didn’t want to get him mad.

OK, so exactly what I thought.
        I don’t think Söderling is better or worse than any player on the tour and still don’t really understand the underlying causes for this dislike.
        However, I shall not waste my energy on this, but on Rafa. :)

• natch says:

I don’t get it, either, CC. You know what I think it is? It’s because of the love for Rafa. I think that the people who hate or dislike Soderling don’t like him being…what’s the word, “mean”?, to Rafa, despite the fact he’s been “mean” to many players. I think it’s a way of being loyal to their man. Sort of like if someone picks on your bff, spouse, or child. At least, that’s how I understand it. Someone, please, correct me if I am wrong or misunderstand?

But I do like the idea of spending energy on Rafa. Too bad we can’t see him live right now to lust. ;)

• eliza says:

Is it really all that irrational to dislike (yes, “hate” is far too strong) a player who displays rudeness, aggression and poor sportsmanship towards your favourite? I don’t see what is strange or hard to understand about that. Whilst I can find something to like about 99% of the players on tour, Soderling has done nothing but irritate me with his behaviour. I’m not going to waste my time trying to learn to like somebody who has given me no reason at all to like him. If he spends his spare time rescuing kittens from burning buildings I would love to hear about it though.

8. An says:

And lets not forget what a cheat he was in theire Rome match!

No, Soderling i’m not ever going to like…

9. faecoleman says:

Yes I too dislike Soderlings attitude towards Rafa! (dislike his attitude, not him), hate is a strong word and kind of blows everything out of proportion I think. But! Rafa is far too good looking next to him isn’t he? stands out a mile!

10. Lou Lou says:

Thanks CC & Miri for this priceless pic :)!
    Even I don’t get all this Soderling hating. Hating someone is a waste of time. Though I was peeved by his 07 Wimbly antics.

11. Mim says:

Pic is taken, Toad gets a copy, Toad notices Rafa….then the hate for Rafa begins…

I like the photo with the both of them in it. How poetic that Rafa’s sporting white, while The Toad is sporting black.

So many contrasts in this photo: good vs evil, champion vs not, loved-admired-respected vs hated-loathed, handsome vs ugly, respectful-sportivity vs disrespectful-unsportsmanlike…the list can go on!

Needless to say, I agree whole heartedly with Eliza and Mary, you two hit the nail on the head. Toad is not someone I could EVER bring myself to like, and he has yet to demonstrate ANY sort of quality that would make me feel/think otherwise. His treatment of not only Rafa, but everyone else on tour, is nothing short of disgraceful. What’s more, the people that know about him most(the other ATP players in the locker room) seem to share the same sentiment.

Back to checking out the photo, only this time I think I’ll be placing my hand on the right side of my screen to cover unwanted amphibians..

12. Mim says:

er..LEFT side..sense of direction confused while thinking of Toad..grr! He draws out emotions in me that make me feel icky and like a slimy..well.. TOAD!

*sigh* Better wash off all that negativity by reading some of Miri’s other posts on Rafa. Think positive, think love, think Rafa :D .

13. Martina says:

The reason I dislike Sod is because he is rude and mean, not just to Rafa but to a lot of players. To Federer in 2005 to Wawrimka I think in 2006. He wins by upsetting his opponents and being aggressive. He is no sportman! And he will never make it to the top five.

14. Suzanne says:

Pic above should be labeled, “Beauty and the beast”…no prize for the one who guesses correctly who is who…

15. Suzanne says:

Funny how the pic was taken in Bastad…When I first looked at it and saw the Sod-buster, I thought the title was missing an “r” somewhere…sorry, I couldn’t resist. I must admit, that as much of a jerk as he is, I have heard him say a few nice things about Rafi in the past couple of months. Maybe he finally realized that Rafi is a lovely young man and deserves respect for his “aktitude” as much as his “sportivity” and game.