Or to not Davis Cup…

Photo by Jasper Juinen/Getty Images Europe

Photo by Jasper Juinen/Getty Images Europe

RC sent in a “To Not Davis Cup” article:

His doctor, Ángel Ruiz Cotorro, is not very optimistic that Nadal will be recovered for the July dates. He stated that it would take two to three weeks before the tennis ace can contemplate returning to competitions. With the Davis Cup quarter finals just two weeks away time appears to be against Nadal.

13 Responses

  1. ack says:

    Probably best if Rafa doesn’t play. (Even though I’d love to see him.) Chances are that Spain can beat Germany without Rafa. Vamos!

  2. loverafa4ever says:

    I don’t think he shud play. He shud fully recover before even attempting to play. I am sure Rafa will do the best for him. I don;t think he will take any risk after this.

  3. CC says:

    Maybe he could go and train with them lightly, just to hang out and get his spirits up. If he needs it. Marbella is not far away to travel for him, so that could be an option.

  4. Vic says:


    Rafa is predisposed to play the Davies Cup in July. Thus, Albert Costa will wait until sunday to issue the final line up as NAdal was expected to take his final decision on friday.

    • Debbie says:

      Thanks for the info Vic…so that decision will be out of July 3. I hope he declines, but I also hope that isn’t too hard on his spirit. I just really want him 100% for USO!

      • Vic says:

        No Debbie, I’m sorry I wasn’t explicit enough. According to the article, Costa will inform of the final line up tomorrow June 28!

  5. faecoleman says:

    CC If Rafa went to train with his team buddies he would be sooo tempted to play, he simply cannot resist playing for his country, his so passionate about it if not the most passionate! Best for him to stay back home however much it hurts him in the long run it will be best. I seem to recall the captain @ the Davis cup finals in Argentinia asking Rafa to stay away as he thought his presence may distract the rest of the team, why I don’t know, but this is what he said. Rafa had accepted and had said that he had the utmost faith that Spain could do it without him and had text them the best of luck etc…

    • CC says:

      Oh, yes,! I remember now, about the captain not wanting him to come to Argentina, because he might be a distraction.
      I think it must be that the rest of the team find him so irresistibly hot and sexy that they cannot take his eyes off him, and therefore cannot concentrate on playing tennis. Must be that, no? :D

  6. Mim says:

    I couldn’t agree more!
    Rafa needs to skip Davis Cup! He’s done so much for the team already, and I’m sure his leadership has done wonders for the team’s morale and confidence! Their victory last year is proof that they’ll do fine. Let Verdasco, Ferrer, Lopez, Robredo, Almagro…the list goes on! So many to choose from, the team is not doomed to inevitable defeat as the British team was without Murray. They have a good chance of winning it. Rafa REST please! You need all the time you can get to fully recover. Your injury is the kind that needs REST and TIME.

    We all miss you to muffin tops, and we’re all dying to see you back on the courts applying your craft, but we only want to see you when your are feeling better and are a KHandred percent!

    You are frustrating Rafans now! I feel like putting you in the naughty corner until you agree to take your rest!

    HUGE hugs and lots of kisses and support from all of your fans around the world who are losing their minds worrying about you and your stubborn self. Vamos Rafa! Now go to sleep!

  7. AnaR says:

    Well, despite the declarations of Dr Cotorro .. in Spain the newspapers and information agencies give as safe participation Rafael. There’s even a supposed confirmation of Nadal at a radio station of the Balearic Islands .. What will happen? .. I do not know. I prefer to wait to 30 of june and listen to Costa.

  8. AnaR says:

    I think it would be a mistake. But..

  9. serene says:

    Let’s not worry so much. Think we’ll just leave the decision to Rafa and support him in whatever he chooses to do. Rafa will know himself best.

    If he should play in the Davis Cup, we will be able to see him play sooner. If not, we will have to wait till Aug to see him.

    The Davis Cup is only a short tournament anyway. Rafa should be able to rest his knee again after that if needed.

  10. jimmy says:

    The cover of one of Spain’s sports newspapers says today that Nadal has told Costa, the DC captain, that he will NOT recover on time to play against Germany.

    Good decision by Rafa, I must say!