Queen’s withdrawal in the Spanish press

LIONEL BONAVENTURE/ AFP/ Getty Images

LIONEL BONAVENTURE/ AFP/ Getty Images

Okay, I’ve been through all my Spanish tennis bookmarks to see if there was any more info out there. I really need to learn Spanish! It’s so confusing trying to find things. Here’s one article. The google translation had me going “huh” on what appeared to be very important parts… So, I’m going with combo of it and Babelfish for this one.

“Let’s see if we come to Wimbledon [day 22]”, Toni Nadal explained, its uncle and trainer, that will see how Swiss tomorrow Roger Federer, again forced until the fifth sleeve in the semifinals (3-6, 7-6 (2), 2-6, 6-1 and 6-4 against the Argentinean Juan Martin of the Colt), tries to complete the Grand Slam in Paris before the Swedish Robin Soderling. “He is not clear. But, no matter how little he can, if he is half well, with a shock treatment, is going to go. Right now, nevertheless, he does not know himself. It is necessary to be six days well before to go with guarantees”. Nadal lost against Soderling in Roland Garros, where he was unconquered four years ago. How much it has influenced the lack of confidence in his resignation to Queen’s? “Zero”, say Toni; “it is exclusively by a problem that has been dragging for a long time. Thursday tried to train and it was not to him very well. We limited ourselves to serve”.

Sunday, 31. Nadal is losing against Soderling, that will play the end against Federer after overcoming to the Chilean Fernando González (6-3, 7-5, 5-7, 4-6 and 6-4). At the start of the third set and turns towards his theater box. “It hurts. I cannot”, he says. Then, he does not acknowledge any problem. Either his team. “It is necessary to know how to lose”, say.

1. patzin says:

Sounds like Queens and Wimbledon are questionable; and a comment about possibility of losing #1 ranking. I don’t really understand much more but hope this condition will correct itself going forward; so that Rafa can compete at some point in time. He has had a very busy schedule this year.

• Esmmée says:

i think that this condition has started at the long match he had in Madrid against Fer Verdasco and it carried over to Roland Garros, did you all see how many times he fell on the match against Soderling? those knees were failing…

So we have “Becky” and “Juan Martin of the Colt” now. Brilliant!

So worrying, this. When I saw the news yesterday, I straight away thought “it’s not the knees, it’s something else”. I just think he’s been looking a bit down lately.
    But I suppose it is the knees and that is what is bringing him down…

Maybe he just needs to take a few months off and really get the knees sorted.

I want to cry for Rafa, but will not, will have faith in him. Will have faith.

3. Maru says:

it’s not only google translation that it’s not making much sense, the writing seems to be complicated in spanish as well. Is that or I’m too sleepy and tired ;)
    Tomorrow I’ll try to find some more spanish info and let you guys know.

4. loverafa4ever says:

I dont think Rafa will back off from Wimbledon… He has a couple of days to recover and I think this precaution of not playing at Queens is to make sure that things don’t go rong at Wimbledon… and he can definitely not risk his knees… Now thinking back I am glad that Rafa didnt have to play the second week at Roland Garros…which gave him an extra week of rest… Get well soon Rafa! We are all waiting to see you in your 100%… Take care of ur knees… and who cares abt the ranking… wat matters is that rafa shud b able to play tennis for 7- 8 years more… number 1 ranking can be regained…

5. Gigi says:

The article also says the problems started in Madrid, but they were told the injury wasn’t worrying, it was just a matter of how long Rafa could cope with the pain. So Rafa tried to play without flexing in order not to force on the legs, but he could’n compete that way.

There would also be an explanation to Rafa’s “poor” performance in his first round match at RG: during training before this match, he hurt his knee again.
    Anyway, Rafa is having some tests done in Barcelona on monday and will have the results on tuesday.

I hope he gets better soon!

PS: I hope my English is understandable, I’m from Belgium…

Thanks Gigi! This makes things a little bit clearer and obviously explains why Rafa’s not been playing/looking his best lately.

Your English seems perfect, by the way.

6. vamsi says:

we dont care about wimbledon
    we dont care about rankings
    we care only about u

7. killian says:

Vamsi-thank you for that!!! It is true.

• vamsi says:

i guess everyone wants that
      comon rafa wont gift himself a devastating injury on his b day
      he will come back hard and strong
      he is none other than rafa

8. Phyzzie says:

I have heard that the Spanish in Catylana is slightly different from basic Spanish and that many Spaniards actually do not understand the Catylan dialect. That could be why we are having problems translating the Spanish.

• tiemyshoe says:

Catalan’s an entirely different language, it’s not Spanish and it’s not a dialect. This particular article is written in Spanish.

9. Vic says:

The article translated:

Rafael Nadal announced yesterday that he will not dispute the Queen’s tournament , which will start next Monday, because he feels pains in a knee. The fact that the Spanish tennis player does not play in London puts in question his condition of world number one and more things. “I hope we’ll come for Wimbledon [the] 22nd”, told Toni Nadal, his uncle and trainer, who tomorrow will see how the Swiss Roger Federer, again forced up to a fifth set in the semifinals (3-6, 7-6 (2), 2-6, 6-1 and 6-4 against the Argentinian Juan Martín del Potro, tries to complete the Grand Slam in Paris against the Swedish Robin Soderling. “It is not clear. But, if he is half alright, with a shock treatment, he will go. Right now, nevertheless, we do not know. It is necessary to be well six days earlier in order to go with guarantees”. Nadal lost to Soderling in Roland Garros, where he was unbeaten for four straight years. How much the lack of confidence has influenced his resignation to Queen’s?” Zero “, says Toni; “it is exclusively a problem that has been dragging for some time. On Thursday he tried to train and it didn’t go very well. We were just practicing service”

On Saturday, May 16. Toni sees how Ángel Ruiz Cotorro, Nadal’s doctor, leans on a wall of the club of the tournament of Madrid to indicate several standing positions to him. They speak about the body of the number one, who might lose his privileged position if he was not to take part in Wimbledon and Federer were to win Roland Garros and Halle and reached the finals at “the temple of grass”. The Briton Murray also has possibilities. “In Madrid a resonance was already done”, his team said; “they said to us that it was not worrying, an edema in the bone that was limiting him in competition because of the pain. The question was how Rafa would endure that pain. And the time came when… he was playing without flexing so as not to force, but it is not possible to compete that way”.

On Monday, the 25th. Nadal made his debut in Roland Garros against the Brazilian Marcos Daniel. His game was not up to par: on top of the strange arming of his forehand, observed by other tennis players, there is bad foot support that make the execution of his reverses difficult. There is an explanation: during training he has hurt one knee. “It is a problem that had been dragging and that reproduced before the first match”, Cotorro confirmed yesterday. The tennis player, according to his team, will travel on Monday to Barcelona and will know the result of the tests on Tuesday.

On Sunday, the 31st. Nadal is losing against Soderling, who will play the final against Federer after defeating the Chilean Fernando González (6-3, 7-5, 5-7, 4-6 and 6-4). The third set started and he turned towards his box. “It hurts me. I cannot”, he says. Then, he does not admit any problem. Neither does his team. “One must know how to lose”, they say. Beacuse of three different injuries, Nadal has missed since October 2008 the Masters Cup, the Davis Cup final , the Dubai tournament, in February, 2009, and now Queen’s.

Yesterday, Nadal resigned Queen’s: “It is not a secret that I have had problems in a knee, which did not allow me to always compete one hundred per cent. I hope I’ll be alright in Wimbledon”.

Thanks, Vic!

Wow, thanks Vic.

Rafa and his team obviously didn’t want to say anything about the knee during Madrid/RG, as to not make excuses etc.

Darling Rafa, pleeeaaase rest…

• loverafa4ever says:

thanks a lot for the translation… really sounds scary… but I am positive and I am hoping that he will be 100% for Wimbledon… he has 10 more days to fully recover…

10. Josh says:

Maybe Rafa was just exhausted on Thursday cause of some hardcore partying the night before when it was his birthday? Party hard Rafa.

But seriously, get well soon Rafa man! I don’t care bout rankings and Wimbledon! Just get healthy!

They were talking about it in Madrid though on Sky Sports, and they were saying maybe due to the strange composition of the Madrid clay that Rafa was less comfortable on it and so was making more tense movements than normal, making his knees under more pressure. As we all know, the Madrid clay was just shockingly bad! Damn you Tiriac!!

11. Vic says:

TONI NADAL ON FRENCH RADIO RMC

Here’s the link and my translation:

Info RMC – After having declared its absence in Queen’ s, Rafael Nadal could not be able to defend his title in Wimbledon. because of a painful knee, as Toni Nadal, the uncle and trainer of the player tells us in an exclusive interview.

Toni Nadal, what is Rafael undergoing?

Rafael has a problem in the right knee (edema,) since Miami, and this kept getting worse, So now we have decided to stop. He played with this in Madrid, Monte-Carlo and, Roland-Garros. Every time, it was a little worse.

It is because of this pain that Rafael lost against Soderling in the fourth round?

He lost,, that’s all, we are not going to talk about this after the match. The pain was there from the first day. Since Madrid, he played with a specific treatment preparation by the doctor and the physiotherapist of the Spanish equipment of the Davis Cup.

Why did Rafael not speak of it after his defeat against Söderling?

We are now talking about it because Rafael is not going to Queen’s tournament, otherwise we wouldn’t have mentioned it. Many players play with physical annoyances.

In Madrid, the doctor did not underestimate the gravity of Rafael’s injury?

No, the doctor said that it was not serious but it was painful when the player tried to bend. As long as he could endure the injury, he could play. We saw well that Rafael had difficulty to move in Roland-Garros.

Toni Nadal, Will Rafael go to Wimbledon?

We will see. Monday and Tuesday, He’ll go to Barcelona to pass examinations, and later we will decide what we will do. We will do whatever the doctors tell us we should do.

Are you optimistic?

Oh no, I am not optimistic at all. Of course, if there is an opportunity to play the most important tournament of the season, he will try. We will see.

Is Rafael affected by all this?

Very much so. He is affected, it is normal, because he sees that he’s been hampered in Roland-Garros, a very important tournament for us, and now his presence in Wimbledon is uncertain.

• loverafa4ever says:

Oh god! This is not gud… I really hope everything turns out well on Tuesday… Rafa’s knee, you better pass the examination…

• imjimmy says:

Ouch! That doesn’t look good at all. Edema on the bone sounds nasty. Raises memories of the end of late ’05 and ’07 when Rafa had career threatening injuries. Hope he recovers soon!

12. patzin says:

This sounds serious and may require more time than a couple of days or weeks. The only concern I have is for Rafa to heal – he will get back to playing when healthy. To try otherwise is rather risky. Rankings are nice; but we care, IMO, for the person as well as the athlete.

13. lynney62 says:

I do believe the “knee” problem, however I feel there are other “distractions” in Rafa’s life right now…..namely the rumors regarding the impending divorce of his parents. Rumors can be just that…rumors…..but seeing his Mom at Monte Carlo with no wedding ring on her finger (when all previous sightings it was there) lends these rumors to truth. As close as Rafa is to his family, I feel surely all this would affect him.

Until the Nadals choose to comment one way or another, this is just a rumor about Rafa’s personal life and, thus, I’d prefer that no further discussion of it take place here. Knees and stuff related directly to his career are one thing, but personal stuff like family is just that: personal.

Thank you.

14. An says:

I wish for Rafa to recover and come back when he’s 100% ready to compete again as the Rafa we know and love.

If that means no Rafa at Wimbledon so be it! Seeing Rafa lose in Paris hurt me so much that i rather not see him on a tennis court for as long as it takes than seeing him lose another match in another verry important tournament for him, a Rafa not playing at his own high level, a Rafa hartbroken but jet gracious in defeat and not admitting what must have played a big part in his losing!

Rafa if it where possible i would give you my strong knee’s and take yours and bare the pain for you.
    But since such things are impossible i wish you wisdom in the decision you and youre team are going to make and above all that i wish you to recover quick and come back to youre beloved sport and the courts when youre ready!
    Hasta pronto Rafa!