Elmundo.es Q&A – 3rd edition

Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images Eurpoe

Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images Eurpoe

Today’s installment of Q&A is up on the elmundo.es site. (Google translation)

Hi Rafa, What do you think is more important in one sudden death, have a very strong or have nerves of steel? Thank you and good luck. Niamh in Ireland ….

I think the two at a time is ideal, but if you do not have nerves of steel you will also improve the serve.

So, I’m guessing this means: which is more important in a tie-break: nerves of steel or a very good serve. And the answer is…both.

Hi Rafa I am Camila from Argentina, a big fan of yours and I congratulate you for the great start of season you’re having. My question is: How do you stay focused and calm throughout the match, especially when things do not go as you expect? It is admirable that you put the claw on each encounter.

Is important because tennis is a very mental sport. For me the important thing is to think about each point. It helps to be concentrated and then think of the time. What has been done, right or wrong, is part of the past and we must play the next point.

So much easier said than done. Hell, I spend half of most days regretting what I had for breakfast.

Because the media has gone from being a great tennis player to an idol of the masses, how you’ve lived through that change? Must find it difficult to relate with people you do not know or know anything about you. Did you spent, what you feel in such cases?

It’s what plays when you’re at a high level in a sport like tennis, which has a lot of arrival. The issue is that many people about and treat you in a way that almost makes you feel different. The important thing is not to lose and know where north is at every moment.

I can’t imagine being impervious to the constant admiration. I hope Rafa can be one of the few exceptions to the rule. He’s done pretty good so far.

Hi Rafa, thanks for the example you give to athletes Spaniards. What Would percentage in tennis: 1-mentality and attitude. 2-Tech. 3-Strategy “, a greeting, and the fate… next game is always the most important …

I think everything is important. Minded attitude and you can enjoy more of the art and can also carry out a strategy and studied. But that is not only because it also depends on the reverse.

Thanks to the Spanish article, I finally understand why he pronounces attitude like he does! The Spanish is “actitud”.

Hi Rafa! The first thing to say that I love your new dress every day and play better (partidazo go with Djokovic in Madrid, I was at the Magic Box and it was great). Here is my question: When you face as a tournament of Roland Garros, are you going to believe a party or party

is inevitable to think about your possible clashes in subsequent rounds (quarters, semis) and think a strategy?

Thinking I’m going to party party. Another thing would be a mistake, really.

Okay, here’s my take on this one: Rafa’s partied in a new dress and anything else would be a mistake. What, that’s not right?

Hola Rafa. We are all behind animándote. A question about the balls. Why not take a player repeats the same ball you just get? When you do a second service repetís or if you have just desecháis the ball to use. ¡¡Gracias y ánimo!.

Thank you very much. Depends on the type of service you want to do.Sometimes we want to find new ball speed, a fast and remove others that are seeking more beads used to make the change and get slower.

Balls seek beads?

Hola Rafa! How is everything? Did you see the final of the Champions?What is your opinion of the final? All my support from Venezuela. Pierina. Pierina.

I think the boat was much higher and showed that it is the best team today. Very good.

Boat?

Hola Rafa, after seeing your second-round match on Suzanne Lenglen was reflected as follows: it is widely known that the French do not like to see win at Roland Garros in Spanish, and always feel that the French public relies heavily on your opponents. My question is whether the notes by the same organization. Good luck and thanks.

No, I do not think so. When I entered the field I always give a standing ovation important.

So…there.

1. IIOO says:

I flove google translate! Мakes this much more fun :) I almost fell off my chair at your party/dress/mistake comment!

2. Josh says:

Hahaha the “party party” had me going for ages.

But, even though Rafa doesn’t I agree with the commentor on some issues; the French don’t seem to like the Spanish winning, maybe its just me but I always seem to think they cheer Nadal’s opponents more if they start a comeback (like Hewitt did at the beginning of the second set) and get very vocal; maybe they just want an upset that bad…meh.

But in other ways I love the French crowds cause they are so mischevious, like the mexican waves and the “ALLEZ” on some points and stuff. Oh and not forgetting when they try to do a Spanish trumpet blowing and everyone shouts “OLE!”

• johanne says:

I feel like in general the French just LOVE an underdog. They love to cheer for the players who aren’t “supposed” to win. Rafa obviously isn’t the underdog, so if his opponent gets off to a good start, or makes a great shot and is troubling him, they will get behind that player. But no doubt they appreciate Rafa’s game. They were applauding all his great shots from that match with Hewitt – and there were A LOT of great shots. And then when he finally won, there were lots of cheers from the audience. :)

Even with Nole’s match today, I think they were cheering Kohlschreiber on because he was doing well and pushing Djokovic, but then all the sudden when Nole was in serious trouble and about to lose the second set, the third set, the crowd was totally behind him, chanting “NOVAK NOVAK NOVAK!” I feel like they just try to get behind those who need the support, and want to see as many sets played as possible. You know what I mean?

3. kefuoe says:

I liked the question about the transition from being a sports star to being more generally well-known, and I liked Nadal’s answer to it– stay true to yourself. Excellent.

Now his response to the one about mentality vs technical skills vs strategy sounded like a very confusing algebra problem to me.

4. Maru says:

Ok, I’m going to “help” a little bit here, my english it’s not the best but I’m a little more coherent than Google transleation lol

*******************************************************
    Hola Rafa! How is everything? Did you see the final of the Champions? What is your opinion of the final? All my support from Venezuela. Pierina.

I think the Barça (The Barcelona Football Club) (a Barca is a boat in spanish and Barça it’s a word in Catalan) was much superior and showed that it is the best team today. Very good.

*******************************************************

Very Good!! you totally got this right!!! :)
    *******************************************************
    5.- Hi Rafa! First of all I’d like to say that I love your new outfit & you just play better every day (what a great match the one you had against Djokovic in Madrid, I was at the Caja Mágica and it was great). Here’s my question: When you face a tournament like Roland Garros do you go (thinking) match by match or is it inevitable to think about the upcoming matches on the next rounds and to think about a strategy?

I just go thinking from match to match, another (approach) would be a mistake, to be honest with you.

*******************************************************
    Hola Rafa. Nos tienes a todos detrás animándote. Hi Rafa. You got us behind you (supporting you). A question about the (tennis) balls. ¿Why is it that any player repeats a serve with the same ball the justused on the serve they just served (sorry that’s that make ANY sense???) When you’re on a second serve or repeating a first one, you guys always dismiss the ball you just grabbed (or used). Thanks and Vamos!!
    Thanks you very much. Well it depends on the kind of serve you want (to make). Sometimes we want new balls to look for speed (on the serve) and other times we want balls that have been more used to make the serve slower and mix things up.

********************************************************

=$ this is just a personal comment, I totally do that too =$ I keep writing actitude when wrting in English LOL

5. Maru says:

Hi Rafa. You got us behind you (supporting you). A question about the (tennis) balls. ¿Why is it that any player repeats a serve with the same ball they just used on the serve they just served (sorry that’s that make ANY sense???)

*I think what the person who made the question meant, it’s that when repeting a serve (either to have a first serve again or to throw a second serve) the players always ask (if they don’t have them with them) or choose a new ball to serve*