Non-alliterative, reflective Saturday

The forth in a row – and the most dominating win yet. Match point and trophy ceremony:

At least there’s no Bud Collins standing way too close post-match interview – this time we get Mac. Love how Rafa looks all shy and not sure what to say when Mac asks him how he would play himself.

McEnroe and Borg fill time (since the match was soooo short) by talking about how well Rafa played while Rafa signs autographs in the background.

(Title suggested by kalliopeia when neither of us could come up a word that meant “a look back” that started with an ‘S’.)

Awesome and amazing… The way he deals with the win, just after match point, just says it all about Rafa’s great attitude and mind set. He doesn’t need to show the whole world he’s won, he is happy within himself and know that people that matter to him are proud as heck. So respectful and gracious.

The shy smile at the end of the interview with Mac is adorable.

Another thing that strikes me after having watched these RG flashbacks, is how much papa Nadal has aged in these last four/five years. What’s that all about?

• tiemyshoe says:

Well, if watching a five-hour Rafa match ages me a few years, imagine what watching his son’s matches does to his father!

• kalliopeia says:

How much he’s aged in the last 4-5 years? My God, I think he aged from the beginning of the Wimbledon final to the end of it. lol I know I put on a few years during that time.

2. johanne says:

Awwwww modest Rafa is so adorable. I like his suggestions for how to play himself – HA! Btw, Mac is so much better with him than Bud. Rafa must like Mac because he’s always so smiley with him. Their interview right after Wimbledon ’08 is good too. Speaking of Wimby, I do remember Borg being really vocal about picking Rafa to win. I think Borg might be a Rafanatic. ;)

3. dutchgirl says:

I hope you can post another one in two weeks time, on Super Sunday.

4. June says:

Again, Miri thanks for posting that one (I missed it last year). I think that says it all when Bjorn states that RAFA is the best & most consistent player now & is unbeatable on clay. I hope RF can see this one & weep! Borg, Connors & McEnroe were the players I used to watch in my younger days (on the men’s side) & Evert, King & Navratilova (on the women’s side.) I always wanted to play like Evert, I thought she was so good, but of course I never was even after years of lessons (oh well, maybe there’s still hope for my daughter). VAMOS RAFA :-)

5. nic says:

Aaww Rafa is a real sweetheart here. What a class act thru and thru. Such a muted celebration when he won, he’s got this amazing ability to be so aware of how the other guy is feeling on the other side of the net and act accordingly. What a dear soul. I really liked him this green.

The one thing I remember about this match though was how the crowd was not really overtly joyous or crazy over Rafa’s win, especially after having made such history for himself again. It’s obvious they love Rog, and felt for him. And that’s absolutely fair, but I just wish they had more love for Rafa too. He deserves more from the RG spectators I think. Wonder how they will be towards him this year now that he’s number one, does that change their mentality a little bit and give him credit where credit’s due?

6. kalliopeia says:

BAAAHAHAHAHA, you used my suggested title!

7. faecoleman says:

This was such a phenomenal moment, I always remember how Rafa celebrated by just throwing up his hands instead of falling on the red dirt, I also remember how bad Roger looked, I felt bad for him back then, a year on and things have changed so much, last year Bjorn was saying that Nadals match was nothing short of a master class and how he could win wimbeldon this year etc lets hope in 2 weeks time we can be watching him bite another trophy, god willing he deserves it! especially now he is No.1.

8. Nada H. T says:

Aaaah .. it’s warming up

to see him winning .. the 2008 RG

looking forward for such a scenr SOON ..