Wayback Wednesday

Rafa wins his first Roland Garros title.

And gets his first Grand Slam trophy.

1. johanne says:

Awwww such great moments! Rafa is so adorable! *fans self*

On another note, Bud Collins is so embarrassing. Someone take the mic away from him!

2. tiemyshoe says:

Definitely a balm for our collective RG anxieties, eh? Thanks for posting, miri.

Sometimes I forget what a baby-face he had when he first won it. He’s a head taller than Puerta, but above the shoulders he’s such a kid.

The commentary is … oy. Is that Ted Robinson saying “Zee-na-deen Zi-deen?” Fail.

So cute answering Bud Collins’s inane questions. I just love when people speak English to non-English speakers like they’re slightly braindead toddlers. Boohiss.

Also, I found it interesting that when Rafa got all emotional thanking Uncle Toni in particular, there was a shot of Toni completely dry-eyed and like scratching himself. Ha!

3. killian says:

THANKS for this–I so needed it. I love how beautifully Rafa handles everything. I cannot WAIT for RG2009!!! VAMOS!!!

4. miri says:

I love Mom and Pop both looking like they are about to die before match point – but showing it in totally different ways. I love the celebration with his family in this one. Him crying into the towel when they are going to commercial and fighting back the tears during the Spanish national anthem… The way he cradles the trophy…so much to love about this.

It was supposed to be up Tuesday, but I got delayed. :)

5. Debbie says:

Thanks Miri! Rafa had such grace even back then. I do think it is funny that he almost sets the trophy on the ground when the National Anthem is about to start and they are like, um, no lets put that on the table. So cute. What a baby face! Vamos for 5 in a row! *nervous*

6. nic says:

Wow thanks for posting this Miri, I don’t think I’ve ever got to see this before. Which is crazy!! Not seeing Rafa’s first grand slam win til now! What a moment. It’s so great to see him and the family at this first historic step for him. So sweet. I love it when the Spain national anthem was playing and he looked so proud, and like he was trying to hold back the tears. What a sweetie. And wow, listening to him speak during the ceremony, even back then he was already so confident with a mic in his hand and thousands of people listening. What great poise even then. And so eloquent and saying the right things, as we’ve come to expect from him. I’m just so proud to see him have that from early days already. Wow Rafa never ceases to amaze me.

7. patzin says:

I hadn’t seen these before – they are great. Lovely Rafa. thanks.

8. faecoleman says:

Thanx for posting this Miri,how young does Rafa look here? he’s high cheek bones are so much more defined now. He looks soo much bigger than Peurta there.. the bit where he is crying, bless! and his gratitude towards his dear Uncle Toni’ what a magical moment this was for him… this is soo nice to see when I am feeling soo *nervous* for Roland Garros… Thanx again… great fix..!

9. dutchgirl says:

Thanks so much for posting this! I might have seen it back than, but I can’t remember. It’s really heartwarming to see Rafa’s emotions and to see him win his first grand slam at his young age.
    Great timing to post this the week before RG 2009!

10. Jayefox says:

Thanks for posting Miri!!!! I saw this live in 2005 and the tourneys coming to RG and it all started, my Rafanaticsm..He really was and still is the most exciting thing in tennis now and he will be the greatest! Believe that he will win the 5th in a row, then Wimby then US Open the the Masters in London!!!I always pray whenever he plays and I do believe it helps, so let’s all pray and not be nervous for RG next week. Believe, ask and receive…Thank you Jesus!