Madrid semi-final photos

Photos from today’s tension filled match.

(Photos by JAVIER SORIANO/AFP/Getty Images, PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images, Clive Brunskill/Getty Images, AP Photo/Daniel Ochoa de Olza, REUTERS/Francisco Seco, AP Photo/Andres Kudacki, and REUTERS/Juan Medina)

1. johanne says:

OMG who was that kid?! He was so cute, kneeling down in victory with Rafa and then wanting a hug. Awww. I needed a hug after that match too. ;)

btw, thanks for the pics!

• faecoleman says:

I was thinking just the same thing Johanne, what an amazing moment when he cuddled that little boy, how many of us wanted to do just that! Truly wonderful, remarkable Rafael Nadal, no matter what happens tommorow he truly is the greatest isn’t he. His country must be soo proud of him!

2. Kaboomm says:

I am thinking that kid was just a crowd member who ran on to the court…cuz the security person standing near Nadal was signalling to someone to tighten up security…now that kid is probably gonna sell that headband on ebay

Yeah, I think you’re right. I was busy updating scores and stuff so I missed seeing that live. After going back and watching it, I don’t think the tot was a relative or someone Rafa knows. After hugging the kid and tossing him the headband, he seems to be purposefully ignoring him.

• tiemyshoe says:

Yeah, that kid was cute and all, but I thought it was annoying that he went up next to him when he was back on his knees ‘vamosing’ and thanking the crowd and stuff. It kind of dampened Rafa’s moment. Not that it could’ve been dampened by much, but still. *shakes fist at innocent child*

Also, Rafa seems like an excellent hugger, doesn’t he? Even Djokovic needed a bit of huggy comfort at the end.

• ks says:

I’m with you: I don’t mean to hate on a little kid, but I didn’t like the way he interrupted Rafa and Novak’s moment at the net. I admired the way Rafa handled the situation. My gut reaction probably would’ve been more like, “What the hell!?!”. lol

3. skyejaden says:

LOL so wait, was the kid not a relative then?! Way to go security, way to go! (lucky brat)

4. patzin says:

I wonder how the boy got on the Ct. But Rafa was generous towards him and shared the spot light briefly. It looks like Rafa is his hero.

5. JOE ANN COLE says:

It is such a little thing to share with a GREAT TENNIS CHAMPION as Rafa Nadal. That little boy went to sleep with big smile on his face knowing he got a hug from someone he admires so much. Rafa didn’t seem to mind – and Rafa has many more wins to come to have “center stage”. What an unselfish thing to do!

6. AnaR says:

Hey everyone,

I was yesterday in the Magic Box and nothing that I write could explain what happened yesterday in Madrid. Absolutely incredible. Novak was fantastic, his best match. He could not do more. Firstly, Rafa appeared injured or almost injured and all people in Magic Box thought until the second half of match that Rafa was going to lose the match, all less him. He was the only one who did not think losing. And there began a great suffering for all. There are people were looking towards the ground. There are people cried. There are people who closed the eyes. My son of 10 years old putting his arms around my neck nearly choking me. For a few moments I thought I was dying. I swear by my children that I do not want to repeat all that. And the child who appeared he was totally spontaneous. Many of us would have loved to go and put our arms around his neck. Rafa is of another world. Today we will suffer but the Gladiator want always win. He does not like losing. So now we can expect everything for today. Vamos Rafa!.

• dutchgirl says:

Must have been amazing to have been there! I wished I was there, especially in the end when the crowd was chanting ‘RAFA’ – goosebumps all over!

• tiemyshoe says:

Thanks for your report – the atmosphere was magic indeed. It was great (and nervewracking) to watch the entire stadium hold their breath and basically amplify what we TV- and Internet-viewers were feeling x1000.

What a match to see in person! It was amazing on TV how quiet it was when Djokovic hit an amazing shot – it must have felt eery in person – that many people holding their breath!

7. Mike says:

the kid was rafas nephew. Watch the security go after him but then stop. What a great moment!

Rafa doesn’t have a nephew. It was just a random kid who made it past security.

• faecoleman says:

You are right Mike it was he’s nephew!!!

Where did you see this? It’s not possible because Rafa doesn’t have a nephew. A nephew is the son of a sibling – Rafa’s only sibling is much younger than him.

8. Mike says:

Well I’ve read around trying to find the answer but have seen the following, nephew, cousin, “a family member”, random kid from the crowd, and not to be out done, Rafas kid! Funny, “Papa papa! You are my papa papa!” what a way to find out! I guess it really doesn’t matter who the kid was, it was a cool moment. What an amazing match! I still can not believe it! Have to DVR the final-thanks work! Look forward to watching it later!

Yeah, the first photo I found had a caption saying that it was Rafa’s nephew – which isn’t possible. Then they updated it to say it was his kid! I think not. Besides, the kid was wearing a Nike competitor’s gear, so no way he was in the Nadal clan. ;)

Ooo! Final should be starting soon.

• Mike says:

Do you know of a link that has live score updates? I have Internet on my phone and would love to follow it as it goes on!

There’s the ATP site that might not work on the phone. There’s tennis.com that might, but is a bit slow. Also, I’ll be tweeting updates.

• Mike says:

The CBS sports app for iPhone was way behind yesterday-my wife was texting me point by point in both tie breaks-it was funny! It’s too bad this work thing is getting in the way of my nadal addiction! I’ll check out the tweets and tennis.com seemed to work! Thanks!

9. faecoleman says:

This is what was said on Sky sports, of course he can’t have a nephew he doesn’t have a brother does he… still being in Spain(madrid) and all its quite normal for a little spanish boy to want to cuddle his national hero! Magical moment…!

10. bob says:

Does anyone have a video of the kid and Nadal for youtube?
    That would be cool to see !