Madrid post semi-final interview

ttv_sf

TennisTV.com has the English and Spanish semi-final interviews up.

1. Josh says:

He has a hoarse voice…prolly from that massive war cry he did when he saved the match point at 6-5. It gave me shivers.

I think he will be alright tomorrow, I mean he has the mental edge over Federer hands down, he can slap him around like a donkey.

But people seem to draw examples from the Chennai Semis in ’08 where the match was 3:40-something and Rafa got decimated by Youzhny 6-1 6-0. But people seem to forget that the Moya match finished at like 3 in the morning, and Rafa then had to play at 12 in the afternoon. Ludicrous!
    Being the Rafa Nerd I am I looked up some past Rafa court time totals and in Wimbledon ’07 Rafa was on court for 3 hours one day, 2 hours the next then 2 hours the next; and then he had to play the final and still took Roger to five. So i think he has a good chance for a clay masters sweep hopefully.

This is a lengthy comment; sorry to bore you.

And just to chip in at the end, i think his Knee troubles (or thigh is what I thought) are not so serious; I mean I am not saying he used it to slow down the match in the second but if it really hurt that much he would have had something on before the match.

Well good luck tomorrow Rafa!

You just have to think of what happened the last time Rafa met a fresh as a daisy Federer in a final after a tough and long semi-final. That will ease any worries. :)

• kefuoe says:

Plus, whenever I see a win like today, or yesterday (coming back from 0-4 to take the set), or saving 5 MPs against Nalbandian or any of the other amazing, dramatic matches he manages to win, I always think that his next opponent must be so intimidated (whether or not they want to admit it!). They must be shaking their heads, saying, “WTF does it take?”

• johanne says:

I love that you’re a Rafa Nerd, Josh. I will join you:

The fact that Rafa looked more than up for playing a 3rd set (he was so pumped after winning that second set!) made me think that his leg problem was not super serious…fingers crossed. Also, by the end of the match he didn’t even have the taping on anymore. Then during this interview he says “I expect to be better tomorrow”…I noticed right away that he didn’t say the word “hope.” (I’m such a loser). Finally, he seems so genuinely happy in this interview. So smiley, talking about how great the crowd was, joking a little about being tired and also about possibly/hopefully having a perfect clay court season. He wants it. And the crowd wants it bad too! I don’t think Rafa & Roger have ever played against each other in Spain, no? Advantage Rafa???? Me thinks so. :)

No matter what happens tomorrow, I’m so proud of Rafa! He is just incredible.

• dutchgirl says:

I love it that there are more people like me, translating all these signals in order to get a grip on what we can expect of today’s final (or for the weeks to come, for that matter).
        What comes to my mind is indeed the way he played his final at AO after over five hours of play against Verdasco. Federer had the advantage (or so a lot of people thought) of a day’s extra rest, and we all know what the result of that match was.
        I agree in thinking that Federer will be intimidated by the way Rafa fought his way back into the match yesterday, despite of whatever problems he had. Roger, watch and learn!

2. faecoleman says:

I always get scared when Rafa has knee problems, I wish I could be as positive as you lot! Thanx for the info about the Chennai match they fail to mention what time it finished and when he had to play again.. As for Rafa he still seems on a high from the match so much adrenalin there, will take him a while to settle down, boy will he need his sleep, really hope he gets the win tomorrow after all his hard work. he deserves this now!…. Vamos Rafa, simply awsome, never ceases to amaze us time and time again.

3. tiemyshoe says:

Oooh, I think Rafa really wants it now. There were vibes at the beginning of the tournie that he was ambivalent about the facilities, the surface, the whole enterprise. But today – in which one measley point won Rafa that match, and the crowd basically pushed him over the hump – I can tell he really wants to win it for them.

• tiemyshoe says:

P.S. – He seems to like this ATP lady interviewer, no? When he said he was tired, he added, “I’m not gonna lie [to] you.”

All I know is, the old monotone ATP interviewer guy never got this many smiles. :P

• johanne says:

Totally. But I think Rafa’s a bit of a flirt too. He seems to throw in a few extra smiles for the lady journalists (i.e. Rosana). :)

• sG says:

Many Spanish men are like that, at least that’s the impression I got when I was in Madrid. From the youngest down to the oldest they are flirts and charmers. I think they must have a finishing school for such things. LOL

4. skyejaden says:

What. A. Match!

I love the level of tennis that they bring out in each other. Through cramps, crazy bounces, double faults, they find a way to mentally get back to square one and work through it (obviously nobody does focus better than Rafa, but today Novak did a good job of it as well.) Then some of those shots were just…amazing. I love that the commentator said at one point, “I’m running out of superlatives here!” lol So was I.

Nice interview :) I love the big smile on his face as he’s reflecting on his near-perfect clay season. He definitely should smile and be ridiculously proud of himself.

Bring on Paris! (oh wait, there’s a final still to be played?!)

5. Rosalind says:

halo,

Watching Rafa play tennis has made feel like I am 10 years old again as I watched Bjorn, mcenroe and connors and becker…I switched off when Sampras came on the scene. Fantastic tennis player but boring. We want to see more matches like we did on Saturday’s sf with Rafa and Novak….what a match…I have this slight eye twitch and noted it was not twitching so much…by god it started twitching like a buzzard on Saturday…I’m not winking at you, honest….lol
    lol