Rafa mows down Melzer

(Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

(Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

Rafa got off to a rip-roaring start in the Madrid tournament. He needed just 61 minutes and 43 seconds to defeat #27 Jurgen Melzer 6-3 6-1. It was a very clean performance from Rafa with 16 winners and just 3 unforced errors. Guess that’s just further proof that Rafa likes the crazy bounce.

Stats:

Nadal Melzer
Statistics on Serve
Aces 1 3
Double Faults 0 4
1st Serve % 59% 54%
1st Serve Points Won 21/24 (88%) 15/22 (68%)
2nd Serve Points Won 11/17 (65%) 7/19 (37%)
Break Points Saved 0/0 (0%) 0/4(0%)
Service Games Played 8 8
Statistics on Return
1st Return Points Won 7/22 (32%) 3/24 (13%)
Second Return Points Won 12/19 (63%) 6/17 (35%)
Break Points Won 4/4 (100%) 0/0 (0%)
Return Games Played 8 8
Statistics on Points
Total Service Points Won 32/41 (78%) 22/41 (54%)
Total Return Points Won 19/41 (46%) 9/41 (22%)
Total Points Won 51/82 (62%) 31/82 (38%)

1. kefuoe says:

Apparently Rafa was eager to get through with the match since there is a huge Spanish football league match today.

2. Marla says:

The altitude or the attitude didn’t seem to matter too much. He looked in superb form. I want to know who exactly told Rafa to end his sentences with yeah or yep in his press conferences. I hate it! What happened to Rafa, no…not yeah?

3. sia says:

Nice, smart match from Rafa, no problems with the altitude.
    Did you notice that one of the ‘model’ ball girls fainted during the match.

4. tiemyshoe says:

I gotta admit, I was surprised by his form today – much better than I’d thought it would be, though Rafa continues being somewhat grouchy-seeming. He was really aggressive though, stepping into the court to return second serves (!!) and hitting return winners, and he seemed to handle the ball flying fast through the air excellently. Melzer wasn’t awful, but some of his desperation serve-and-volley gave me the chuckles.

5. riqoueiardo says:

I’m getting Foxtel put on tomorrow at last so I hope to watch more Tennis matches. Good coverage on the ‘net’ the previous nite so was surprised. KEEP IT UP RAFAEL..I KNOW YOU KAN DO IT

6. Josh says:

Kohlschreiber has apparently withdrawn!

NEWS NEWS NEWS!

Kohlschreiber withdraws!

• johanne says:

I just heard this too! WTF. Lame!

• johanne says:

Also just heard that Davy pulled out so Roddick is also through to quarters. WTF! Night match disaster for Madrid!

• Josh says:

Madrid organizers must be having fits on the floors.

Poor audiences; no Rafa and Roddick today :( And its in Spain!
          DOUBLE BURN!

• johanne says:

Seriously! Hopefully Nando v Monaco will be a really great match (it def has potential) so it can help make up for no Rafa. :*(

7. nic says:

Omg, Rafa gets a free ride into quarters again (was it quarter the previous one?)! Wow, I just heard it too while I’m watching Nole’s match. Phew, lucky I caught that, otherwise I was gonna wake up to watch Rafa in the wee hours!

Although he won’t like to get through that way, but oh well, less stress on Rafa before RG, better. Though means less time on the Madrid courts, but I don’t feel like it’s a do or die to win this tourney. But he was on fire in the Melzer match though, so by all means Rafa is in good form!

8. tiemyshoe says:

I imagine Rafa’s not that happy about the Kohlschreiber withdrawal – only one hour of match practice before he goes into the QF – but at least he’s not getting tired out.

Oooh, a bit of karmic backlash for the Madrid organizers … by all accounts, this was a poorly-managed event, and it’s coming out pretty crappy, too. Most of the women seeds are out. Tiriac must be praying for a Federer-Nadal final.

Pico v. Nando will be a fun match (which I’ll miss, boo classes). Pico FTW – sorry, Verdasco, but I have to root for the most adorable Argie of all time.

Hm… I agree with you on this event.
      There’s something about it I’m not keen on. I think they are trying too hard to be “trendy” and it doesn’t feel natural at all!
      And I really think the model ball girls just feel…wrong.
      But maybe that’s just me being a grump.

No Rafa match tonight.
      *sighs*
      I think he would have preferred to have played the match, rather than rest, but hey…

9. faecoleman says:

Yeah I heard that and Davydenko! he’s having his fair share of injuries lately, oh well Lets hope Rafa uses the time to get some more serious practice so not to spoil his rythum, just as he was getting the feel of the court, still he’ll welcome the rest bite coming into the French… deserves a bit of luck.. I am too looking forward to nandy v. monaco, should be a thriller. Either one can be dangerous for Rafa in these conditions thou..