Rafa the author?

No idea if this story is true or not…

Tennis phenom Rafael Nadal may soon be shopping a book. Industry sources say that literary agent Larry Kirshbaum has been talking to publishers about a memoir by the 22-year-old Spanish heartthrob, who is now ranked the No. 1 tennis player in the world.

1. Denizen says:

Larry is ex-CEO of Time Warner’s book division and now has his own literary agency. You can check out his staff’s CV’s here. Pretty impressive.

That said, I’m not sure that there’s a sufficient audience yet for an authorized Rafa autobiography, which would eat into his already limited time and which would probably not have much “red meat” due to 1) his family’s desire for privacy, and 2) the ATP’s law of omerta that even the repugnant rapper Spadea didn’t really breach in his whiny memoir (unless you consider saying that Feli hit on the same girl Vince once did to be shocking news).

Okay, I have to admit – the first thing I thought when I read your last sentence was, “The only thing shocking about that is Feli hitting on a girl.” :D

• Denizen says:

I set it up, you knocked it down. :) The irony would be lost on the casual tennis fan, no?

I can’t see him doing an autobiography until not only his carrera is fin but also he gets bored fishing.

2. strobi says:

There is an authorized biography already, is called “la historia de un fenómeno”.

Ummm…a memoir when you’re 22 is never really a good idea. Too young.

Could not agree more.

The book with the elephant story and other anecdotes is fine, really sweet, but memoirs? It gets too commercial and that would be a shame.

• Kalliopeia says:

Not to mention the fact that he wouldn’t tell us really interesting stuff. Just what he had for breakfast and dinner. Chapters full of muffins and pasta.

• Debbie says:

Hee. I was thinking the same thing. If he were really to share anything more in depth about his personal life, it might be cool. But if you are a fan of Rafa you already know the stuff he would likely share. Not really a memoir. I don’t see him suddenly feeling like “opening up”.

4. tiemyshoe says:

Gah, don’t do it, Rafa. I want him to stay as far as away as possible from autobiographies, clothing lines, monograms, novelty records, movie guest star roles, sitcom appearances, condiment endorsements, reality shows and all other paraphrenalia of famewhoring. That’s not the tennis.