Madrid presser quotes

Haven’t seen a presser transcript yet, but various quotes have started popping up in articles.

Nadal fears Madrid effect on French Open hopes – which sounds like a classic exaggerated attention-grabbing headline

“The altitude is a serious problem so close to Paris. It would be better if Rome were the last event before Paris since the altitudes are similar,” said the top seed.

Ion Tiriac (the head of the Madrid tournament) wants to position Madrid to be a “5th Slam” and Rafa shows his usual allergy to change:

“There are four Grand Slams, not five,” said Nadal.

“Madrid is a great venue but tradition says there are only four majors. Madrid is great – but so are Rome and Monte Carlo.”

What about changing the courts to blue like Tiriac has suggested?

“Orange is the perfect colour, I’m totally against blue,” said the world number one.

“The colour is historical, clay is red, not blue. Tennis not only is show-business, it has more value than that including history and tradition. Some things should just remain the same,” said the Spaniard.

I’ve heard reports that the facilities are mayhem an not entirely finished and Rafa seems to agree:

“The facilities here are good, but things are a little disorderly,” he added of the huge complex which still resembles a building site.

“The bounce is complicated. I trained on Friday and had a lot of bad bounces on the courts.”

According to the official Madrid site, he also said:

“I have time to adapt to the environment. With the altitude it’s a little more difficult to control the ball and opponents can do more damage, but the conditions are equal for all.”

Oh, and I found some more photos. :)

(Photos by Dani Pozo/AFP/Getty Images)

1. skyejaden says:

If Rafa says the courts shouldn’t be blue, they shouldn’t be blue. :) Seriously though, how bizarre that would be. The brick color is historical and it’s perfect and I vote don’t change it.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very interesting and random event…

2. faecoleman says:

I totally agree with Rafa, Tennis is a sport with tradition and to change the clay to blue is obsurd. Its nice to here that Santana is going to try and swap Rome for after Madrid, totally respectful of Rafa’s wishes. I had a feeling that things would be a little chaotic there, everything has seemed a bit rushed. Lets hope things don’t upset his preperation too much and he has a great tournament. I sure hope they take Rafa’s opinions into consideration.

3. faecoleman says:

Btw I forgot to say no.5 photo is goooooorrrrrrggggggous. thanx

4. johanne says:

Rafa looks so lonely up there in #1. If only I were there to keep him company, lol. *sigh* And yeah totally agree, faecoleman – #5 is gorge!

And well as far as Rafa’s quotes go…. it’s funny because if you read the latest news story on his official website, he doesn’t sound as grumpy. Hmmm. I just hope he has a good tourney, regardless of whether or not he gets the trophy.

5. Marla says:

From tennis.com: Rafael Nadal, speaking to reporters in Madrid, on the tournament’s desire to have blue-colored clay courts in the future: “I can say that no matter how perfect it is, I’m totally against it. I think that the clay season is one of the most historic in tennis and the clay court is red, not blue. Tennis is not just show business; there’s history and tradition and that says it’s red and there are symbolic things that the sporting world should preserve.”

I agree. I can’t even picture someone coming up after a great slide -looking like a smurf or a glow in the dark fish.

6. SheIsBlessed says:

I see Tiriac is really pissing Rafa off!

• Kalliopeia says:

Ion Tiriac is a really shady, skeevy guy, so I’m not surprised.

No blue clay courts! It’s bad enough we have green ones here in the US.

7. tiemyshoe says:

I can totally see why Rafa’s so annoyed by this blue clay business. First, there’s the trend with the lovely historic clay tournaments getting less and less weight on the tour (Hamburg, MC…), and then the general feeling that the clay game has to be defended as “legitmiate tennis.” (I heard this irritating ESPN sports guy call it “trash tennis” once. No kidding.) No wonder he’s been very vocal about keeping the traditions going.

• Kalliopeia says:

I just posted a long winded defense of clay court tennis on a livejournal tennis community post titled “The Uninspiration That is Clay.” And a long winded comment doing the same in response to a comment to that post that declared there was a bias towards clay court players vs grass court players because there are more clay tournaments. As if! THe fact is that someone who won four Wimbledons but nothing else would instantly be declared a great player, while Rafa, having won four French Opens, was still called a clay court specialist, despite two Wimbledon finals, AO and USO semifinals, and a handful of hardcourt wins, including a couple of Masters titles.

Bah. Elitism and anglocentric bias.

8. nic says:

Blue clay?! Wtf is wrong with these people. Getting really carried away with trying to make this tournament something new and state of the art. Isn’t the roof innovation enough to set it apart from many others? It’s pretty annoying that tradition seems to be something so easy to do away with these days, and people who disagree with that notion supposedly don’t handle change well. Rubbish. Man, I think it is gonna be weird to see matches played on that surface. I guess it’s something that will make this tourney even more ‘interesting’ for viewers.

In a way, I kinda feel that they should listen to Rafa’s comments and take his game into consideration in such developments. I know it would be biased or whatever that they would tailor things to suit him, but then again I feel when you have the top player in the world coming from Spain, it seems like it would be best to in a way do some things that would help to further his success. Or whatever. I dunno, maybe I’m wrong for thinking that way. Yeah, probably so.

• Nada H. T says:

You are not wrong .. I taotally agree with you !

They should give his opinions some consideration

He’s No.1 and he’s Spanish so WHY don’t they just listen to his

remarks and think of the consequences if they change the COLOUR !!

Thanks miri for the great pics. They compensate for the bad news

of the BLUE plague.

• kalliopeia says:

Well, I wouldn’t want them to make decisions based just on his wishes, but I do wish they’d consider something besides what color their sponsor uses.

From what I’ve read, for now the actual match courts haven’t been changed, just one test practice court. So, hopefully someone will see reason before it’s too late.

• Nada H. T says:

you are right the decision shouldn’t based on Rafa’s wish

but there should be some study or survey where they can

test the idea and what would be the reaction of the audience

as well as the players.It would not be comfortable to look at

that shade of blue. :)