Winning is not normal and other misc stuff

(Photo by Beth Wilson)

(Photo by Beth Wilson)

Rafa has a bit more to say on the idea that his winning ways aren’t normal and we shouldn’t get down if he loses from time to time on Marca.com. (Entertaining google translation – he’s one lucky couple!)

To help prove how not-normal Rafa is, tennis.com has updated their stats for Rafa’s record on clay.

According to his official site, Rafa will head to Madrid on Thursday and will then experience the following exciting and non-normal events:

• Thursday: Nike promotional event
  • Friday: Launch of a new BANESTO’s campaign
  • Saturday: First official Madrid Masters Series press conference for the world media.

That sounds like…so much un-fun.

There’s also a new Q&A on the official site:

Hi Rafa: I am a great fan of yours. I emailed you earlier as well but got no response :). I am writing to make a suggestion for you to plan this year. If you are aiming the grand slam this year..then it’s better you skip Madrid as you’ll need a lot of time to be ready for Queens and Wimby. After that you have a few hardcourt tournaments and it’s prudent you have enough gas for US open. Look at what you can achieve this year as it may be your only opportunity. Hope you get the grand slam. Take care. AK

Hi, I think my schedule is right. We prepare the season carefully and knowing what’s best. Then it could change. But Madrid is an important event since it is played in Spain. We agree that it is not the best to prepare for Roland Garros since the conditions are different, but I like to play in front of my people. Thanks anyway!

So, essentially, someone bothered to write in to say, “I know how you should handle things better than you do” and he replied, “It’s my life and I know what I’m doing. Thanks anyway.” Heh.

1. kefuoe says:

I imagine that the message with the friendly advice was just one of a bunch that he’s gotten recently. Maybe he hopes to stop having to answer that question by responding on the site.

The Google translation made me feel like I was on drugs. Fun drugs.

• kefuoe says:

PS That picture with this week’s schedule on the official website is magic.

Yeah, I was JUST looking at that thinking exactly the same thing.
        *melts*

Yeah. I wanted to use it on the post, but they didn’t credit the agency and/or photographer. I don’t like to post images without that info. :(

• nic says:

I was just about to post about that picture too!!!! I can’t stop looking at it. That smile just makes my heart skip a beat every time. One of the most beautiful and candid pics of Rafa. *melts with CC*

“The Google translation made me feel like I was on drugs. Fun drugs.”

*lol*, kefuoe!

3. faecoleman says:

I love Rafa in white, this photo’s awsome. love it! I agree, so many people have questioned his schedule building up to Roland Garros, but he does agree that its not the best preparation in his response and we all know how he is when it comes to supporting Spain, so its pretty much expected. Good luck to him thou… He obviously knows best. He’s smart is our Rafa…..

4. tiemyshoe says:

Man, I bet that site gets a TON of mail from random fans telling Rafa what they think he should do, wear, eat, say, etc. He seems to bring that out of some people. :\

5. nic says:

Hahahaha that translation is an absolute riot. Trippy alright!

Dang, I wish they would have such interesting or insightful interviews with Rafa in the English press. Those are very few and far between :(