The World of Rafael Nadal

rafabook

A limited edition book entitled The World of Rafael Nadal went on sale today. It is available in French, Spanish and English and a portion of the proceeds from the sales of the book will go to Rafa’s charitable foundation.

An excerpt from the promotional material:

Objectives #4

Sun City, November 2003

Rafa has been invited as a VIP to the Nike Juniors International Masters Tournament organized in South Africa and has been kind enough to ask me along. The organizers have prepared a tempting program for our entertainment. On the second day, we present ourselves at the departure point for a short safari on elephant back. Rafa is not at ease with these pachyderms and quite frankly, nor am I. Anyway, I shouldn’t really be taking part as there are a limited number of places. In the end, once everyone else is mounted, there’s only one elephant left and Rafa calls me over: “Luca, if you don’t come with me, I’m not going”. Once astride the creature, Rafa confides in me: “I feel more at ease with you here, even though I know that if something goes wrong you won’t be able to do a thing about it!” The ride goes smoothly until we arrive alongside a waterhole where several rhinoceros are quenching their thirst. Our guide asks us to be quiet in case the rhinos should take fright, or worse, decide to charge us. The tension goes up a notch and I can feel that Rafa is really uneasy. As we go past the “beasts”, Rafa discretely turns to me and says; “let’s hope everything will be ok, I don’t want anything to happen to me because I still have to win Wimbledon”. Two years before winning the Musketeer’s Cup and five years before making an impression on the All England Club center court, this reaction speaks volumes about his motivation.

1. kefuoe says:

This book has been heavily advertised on the WeLoveTennis site, so I thought it was in French. There’s an interview with the author on the site http://tinyurl.com/cc9o6g (in French, but here’s the google translation: http://tinyurl.com/d2umdv

2. Anna says:

“It is available in English, Spanish and English”

And the cover is in French in all those editions. ;)

Love the make-a-wish moment, but I’d rather they’d used a different image. Rafa is presh, but some times there’s just *too much* preshness, you know? Warrior Rafa on his knees celebrating the win against Verdasco in the AO sf would have been great (like, NOT THAT ANYONE ASKED OR ANYTHING).

Well, that’s a fun typo – I actually copied that from their shopping cart and didn’t notice they repeated English and left off French! Hee!

• tiemyshoe says:

That is a weird image to use. If you didn’t already know the story, you might think he was just a weirdo who regularly summons his mystic chi during changeovers or something.

If it were MY book, I’d use one of Rafa’s presser WHOT?! faces. And I’d title the book, “WHOT?!”

I think that’s a fantastic image to use and I was so happy when I saw they had used it! Rafa gets enough attention for being a warrior and an animal on court, with fist pump ‘n all.
    The ‘dandelion incident’ is possibly the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen anyone do!
    Anyway, this book looks exciting, I’d love to read more about Rafa and elephants.
    *quickly puts an order in*
    *waits by mail box*

• Kalliopeia says:

It’s a great image if you know what he’s doing. I’m going to guess that most people won’t have seen that moment and won’t have any idea why he’s got his fist clenched and that sort of ‘I’m being very concentrate’ look on his face while sitting between games.

And that excerpt is funny. Come on, Rafa, stop worrying and enjoy things like safaris on elephants.

4. ARABELLE says:

I first saw RAFAEL NADAL here in Australia for the OPEN in 2004. I had just scored a great place near the wetlands and a popular Radio Station on top of our street. I am still here today.
    * I thought RAFA was most gorgeous and healthy looking!! Where he is today is totally amaz *
    BEST LUCK FOR THE SALE

5. Ajiuladae says:

– i was on my way to town and for some unseen reason, i could not stop my giggling on this book. anyway, great idea and hope it sells well…..WAY TO GO RAFA!

6. Marla says:

I pre-ordered this book and received it last week. It’s great. Most of the stories are actually from early in his career. And my cover is in English, too. Love the photos on him catching the seed and making a wish. Well, love all the photos actually.

7. fae says:

Thanx for the info everyone, thats definatley one I’ll b buying.

8. miri says:

I got my book this week. It was in English – so yay for good customer service who took care of my mistaken order!

The book is in the format of a little story about Rafa that ties to a “hint” for being a better player on one page and then a big picture on the facing page – exactly like this. So, lots of nice big pictures (although, nothing really new) and come cute stories. Some we’ve heard before (Toni letting Rafa eat the chocolate croissants before a match), but some new – to me at least.

All in all, it is very pleasant. Not stellar, and a bit expensive given the exchange rate and shipping, but I’m okay with the price for what I got – especially knowing that some of the proceeds go to Rafa’s foundation.

Yeah, got mine too!

It’s very sweet. Almost feels a bit like a book you’d read to your children at bedtime. And even if you don’t play tennis, you can apply a lot of these stories to other things in life too, no?

(BTW, there’s a photo in it with Rafa and Carlos that is HOT!)