Bottle issues…

…Rafa has them. But if he keeps making shots like this, who the hell cares.

Thanks to sG for pointing this out and marmiaumiau NadalPower for posting it.

Updated: found a higher quality vid.

1. rez says:

sorry for posting this multiple places on your blog;)

an article about it:

So, he hated the manpris – good on him. ;)

“No, really, no,” Nadal says. “No, little bit.”

Heh. Indecisive Rafa.

“I’m going to finish about the socks,” Nadal says, fearful he may be seen as a fragile wreck.

Ha! I saw a video of an interview with him once. It was in Spanish, so I couldn’t understand it, but the guy was obviously asking about the socks thing. Rafa gives his “no big deal” shrug and goes to talking and then bends down to demonstrate the sock alignment…and totally gets lost in it for a bit. Cracked me up.

• strobi says:

Come on, the biting of the trophy is something that is asked by the media. He just thought that kissing it was already too cliché. And he doesn´t do the socks any more!

2. strobi says:

Well, maybe is just that his mom taught him not to leave things lying around. Once in a Mapfre event, somebody dropped a glass next to him and he turned around and started picking up the pieces. He just haves manners :)

Well, according to his own mom, he’s a messy person.

• strobi says:

I am a messy person also, but still, if i drop something, i like to pick it up.

Heh – I’m messy AND don’t care about dropped stuff…well, unless I’m outside and might be polluting. I’m sure Rafa has better manners than I do. ;)

(and goodness, speaking of OCD – I need to stop replying every 5 seconds!)

3. faecoleman says:

Yeah I have a bit of OCD to when it comes to Rafa, I need to get a grip. He used to say that he’s hairs used to get pulled out of his socks through movement and it used to hurt or something like this, still he seems to have gotten over it, bless him so excited he knocks over his bottles, love it!!!

4. Maya says:

I would’ve been more impressed if he hadn’t kicked over the bottles and then picked them up.I think alot of the rituals were probably built into Rafa’s game when he was a kid to keep him focused on the task at hand.I did watch him at one point in Monte Carlo set his bag on the bench and make three or four different attempts to get his straps just right. Setting up your gear in exactly the same manner each time you walk onto court is probably ritualistic, hopping over lines and bottle alignment superstitious, but come on the tugging and the strappy thing is just ocd. A little of this and a little of that. Aren’t most of us made up that way.

I saw the strap thing. I also saw once when he sat down (to start the gel sucking), looked left, then right and then scooted himself, the bottles, the bag, etc over about an inch or so because, I guess, he wasn’t quite in the right spot. :)

• Isabelle says:

It all makes me chuckle. His behavior appears very OCD, which could certainly have started at a very young age to controll anxiety while playing tennis.

Maya’s “A little of this and a little of that” seems pretty accurate about life and all of us, even dogs cirlce several times before lying down :~). Seems like we (me included) are all pretty obsessed with Rafa! What a delightful obsession/addiction in life. So keep entertaining us and making us smile Rafa. BTW, hadn’t seen this video so thanks for resurfacing it!!

• Nana says:

Yeah I too think it’s more OCD than superstition. I too have a few, like the need to keep my bedroom door closed at all times and arrange things in a certain way. I don’t think the opened door will bring me bad luck, but it tickles me no end knowing that it’s not the way I want it to be.

So whatever works! Sometimes I think we’re all a bit pervy to be enjoying staring at Rafa fidgeting with the strap, the bottles etc =D

5. Fay says:

I remember watching that match. I think that he doesn’t do it so much for superstition but more to the fact of focus. He needs his rituals to concentrate before the match and during! Especially when he serves, going through the same motions helps him to focus.. He reminds me of Bjorg in that respect but hey Bjorg WAS superstitious, he always stayed in the same hotel @ Wimbledon and arrived in the same limonsine, same time etc… never shaved, all that kind of thing but with Rafa I think its a case of nerves like when he sprints to the baseline before the warm up….. You can see Nadals nerves often or not when he walks out on court so it makes sense to me that he finds his way of dealing with them..