Rafa meets Barni

(Photo via European Athletics)

(Photo via European Athletics)

And just who is Barni? He’s the mascot of the upcoming 2010 European Athletics Championships which will take place in Barcelona. Rafa met up with him in Barcelona last week.

Nadal who is currently training to defend his French Open title, scheduled to commence on May 19, took full advantage of his day long break to get clicked with Barni.

The rendezvous took place at the hotel where Nadal lodges for his training in Barcelona. Nadal is widely known for his affectionate nature and he demonstrated that in ample amount to wish great success with the organisation of the Barcelona 2010.

1. faecoleman says:

Cute!

2. nic says:

“Nadal is widely known for his affectionate nature…”

*swoon*

3. johanne says:

I love how even with the mascot he still does his one-hand-placed-on-the-other’s-back thing. Must be his affectionate nature, lol!

Oh and I have a question…

“Besides his main sport tennis, athletics and basketball are two of his most favourite sports.”

What sport is “athletics”? Am I missing something?!

I’m guessing they mean track and field, but it’s just a guess.

Yep, ‘athletics’ is what we Europeans call ‘track and field’.

Danke! And while I have a European’s ear to bend, I’m always confused at the context in which the British commentators use the word “jaded” when talking about players. “He played so late last night, he’s probably a bit jaded now.” In the US, I mainly here it to refer to attitude – like a snotty, cynical teenager who’s above everything – than to physical state – exhausted, overworked or tired. Is it more frequently used to describe physical state there?

Um…I’m not British, but according to my partner, who is, he says that jaded is more about your mental state. But yes, it can certainly be used for someone who is overworked and tired. Someone who is jaded is…uninterested.

I certainly felt jaded this morning…about work.

• johanne says:

Thanks for the clarification, guys. I figured someone here would know! ;)

miri, totally with you on the “jaded” term…I was always like, well that sucks so-and-so’s annoyed to be playing today…bring a better attitude on court! HAHAHA.

Teach me to judge based on email addresses. :)

I guess I’m just mainly hear people use it to refer to “disaffected youth” types. Perhaps I run in the wrong circles.

I live in England and I’ve never heard it used to refer to “disaffected youth” or snotty attitude, so that’s kinda funny. Oh, how I love the English language…

Well, ya know…long-jump, shot put, high-jump, steeple chase… That sorta thing.
    Or am I missing something?!

Oh, and I wonder why he likes that Russian pole vaulter…? (-: