Monte-Carlo preview interview & player party vids

(From the ATP site. Higher quality version of the vid is here.)

Surface! He said surface! Of course, he later corrected himself to say surfrace. :)

And, tennistv.com has a video about the players party up.

1. Danielle says:

He has THE cutest smile! :)

2. kefuoe says:

Dimples just slay me, I’m afraid. And on such a charming person, it’s practically overkill. I agree with miri that he does seem pretty chill, which is nice.

• tiemyshoe says:

I knowwwww, the dimples are too much. I’m also partial to the eye crinkles. Basically the way his whole face kinda cracks open when he smiles. <3

miri, I didn’t notice he said “surface” first! The English is definitely getting smoother.

Basically the way his whole face kinda cracks open when he smiles. <3
        I love people who smile with their whole faces. Hell, I love people with expressive faces – that goes a long way to explaining my Rafa-love. :)

I wasn’t really sure – it sounds like there’s a hint of an “r” after the “f”, but not as prominent as usual. I decided it was close enough. ;)

Looking GORGEOUS here… Agree with everything you say about his smile and dimple. It just makes my day.
          To me it looks like he has just come from the beach here, his hair looks tousled and salty and his skin beautiful mocha colour. Always a good look on Rafa.

His English is definitely getting smoother, which is obviously good, but not sure I prefer him to say ‘surface’ rather than his old ‘surfrace’. Having English as a second language myself, I wish I’d kept a bit more of an accent sometimes. It’s quirky and charming and adds to people’s personality.

• tiemyshoe says:

CC, English is my second language, too, and I also wish I’d kept a bit of an accent. Unfortunately, it went the other way … I have a bit of an accent in my first language! Heh.

3. Denizen says:

I caught the “surface” which came right after the interviewer said it, but he quickly regressed. Still, it’s a small milestone, and I think we’ll be hearing “surface” more in the future. Did anyone else notice his saying “wary” instead of “very” at the end, where he botched his stock phrase about having to play his best to have chances to win?

I floved how sweetly he corrected the interviewer – (paraphrasing) “I never said it was my favorite surface, it’s just the surfrace where I get my best results.” That’s telling ’em, Rafa.

4. Josh says:

Rafa looking cool calm and collected here; this bodes well and looks like he has sorted out whatever was happening in Miami.

Vamos for Monte Carlo :)

5. nic says:

Mmmm how yum is Rafa. And yes, totally relaxed, laidback. Easy breezy gorgeous. Mmmm sweet dreams to me now…..

6. Kalliopeia says:

I will mourn the loss of ‘surfrace’ though….

• tiemyshoe says:

No worries, Kalli, he threw it back in at the end, just for you. ;)

I was impressed that he said “historical.” Trying to imagine Rafa being all fluent in English in another few years’ time … it’s kinda weird.

• Kalliopeia says:

He did, I thought that was very considerate of him. It already seems like forever ago when he was almost completely unable to converse in English. Watch that No Strings episode sometime. It’s startling being used to how he talks now. He can barely say anything and what he does say is nearly incomprehensible.

I can’t remember what I was watching the other day, but his “h”s used to be so lethal compared to now. Like you said, the difference is a bit startling!

And pression. And atmosphera. And careera. And the true. And the windy. Especially the windy.

• kefuoe says:

When I was playing yesterday, I kept telling myself to ‘be with calm’. It was very helpful!

• Kalliopeia says:

Oh I say that all the time. I say it to other people, too, which usually gets me a few strange looks. :) There are a few who get the reference, and it has the benefit of making them laugh, thus disrupting whatever emotion was making them NOT be with calm. :)

7. faecoleman says:

ah! rafa’s so cute and sexy, he seems really relaxed I agree, Go get em Rafa!!! we love you.