ATP Player of the year

(Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

(Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

The winners of the 2008 ATP World Tour Awards were announced today in Miami. Rafa was named the Player of the Year. The doubles team of the year goes to Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor.

Rafael Nadal: The Mallorca native became the first left-hander to finish No. 1 since John McEnroe in 1984, in addition to becoming the first Spaniard to end the season ATP World Tour Champion as the world’s top player in the South African Airways ATP Rankings. Nadal became the first player since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win the Roland Garros and Wimbledon titles in the same year. He led the ATP World Tour season with eight titles in 10 finals, 82 match wins, most matches (93) played and a 17-6 mark against Top 10 opponents. He also helped Spain to the Davis Cup title by winning all three of his matches during the year. He advanced to the semi-finals or better in all four Grand Slam tournaments for the first time in his career.

Congratulations to all the winners!

1. mulan says:

vamos rafa…

u deserved it..

2. johanne says:

VAMOS RAFA!!

btw, I was without computer for a couple of days (ugh!) so I’m catching up on all your posts :) Thanks for posting the trophy ceremony (and thanks to those who posted links in the comments too!) Can’t wait to see what happens in Miami!

Without a computer? THE HORROR! And I hope we didn’t give you too much to catch up on. ;)

• johanne says:

Yeah it totally sucked but I’m back up and running! And no don’t apologize, it’s fun having a bunch of new stuff to peruse :)

Anyone else antsy for Rafa to take the court?? Sometimes the beginning of a tourney can drag….

Yeah, me, ME!!! Got so spoilt during IW with all the Rafa hotness and great tennis on court that I can’t wait!!!

3. Ana says:

GREAT for Rafa! He is the best!

He deserved, for sure, also Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award. RAFA is the greatest sportsman on the Tour, not Federer who never gives a full credit to anyone – on the contrary. Remember following statements:

Fed on Del Potro: I happily put him out of his misery.
    Fed on Murray: I’ll take him on in a 5th setter anytime.
    Fed on Djok: Maybe he shouldn’t play
    Fed on JJ: No disrespect to Jelena Jankovic but it took Rafa five grand slams to become No.1.
    Fed on Rafa: “You know, in a fifth set, anything can happen. That’s the problem. Not usually the better player always wins.”

Is this sportsman of the year?!

At least Rafa was better in 4 RG, Wimbledon 2008 and AO 2009 :):):)

• Diane says:

Spot on. I like Rog, don’t love him. And, sorry, but he lost a lot of ground after AO. I understand being a bit verklempt, but it was too much. And those quotes are dead on; he thought he was invincible. My shadenfreud is secretly enjoying his downward slide.
      Rafa should have gotten the sportsman award.

• johanne says:

The sportmanship award lost meaning for me as soon as I saw that Rafa got snubbed and wasn’t even nominated. Seriously?! WTF! And there were some pretty RANDOM nominees too, if you ask me. Whatever.

I thought I read somewhere that Fed got 26% of the fan favorite vote, with Rafa just behind at 22%, and then Djokovic at something like 7%. So it’s not like it was a washout for Rafa, just obvious the Fedophiles and Rafanatics were going head-to-head on that one!! Fedophiles prob just wanted to make sure their boy won something LOL. Come on, it was funny!! ;)

4. rez says:

I totally agree with Ana. I don’t know how on Earth Fed receives Sportsmanship Award every year. He is so arrogant and many times disrespectful to other players. I felt sorry for him after AO final but then there were his “nice words” at the press conference and post match interviews. I wish I were one of the reporters reminding him Wimbledon Final 07 where he won in 5 sets in a similar fashion. Why didn’t he think of “luck” back then?

It seems they give him this award no matter how he behaves. Rafa is the best guy I have even seen in sports (or even beyond that).

5. tiemyshoe says:

Yay Rafa! This award was a ‘duh,’ but I’m still happy.

I’m totally grumpin’ about Feds and his awards and the ATP fawning though. Maybe it’s unreasonable, but after AO, I’m totally over liking/tolerating that guy. Bring on the ice-cold Haterade.

6. Liva Bird says:

On the other hand, we only see such a small sound-bitey bit of all the players including Fed. What goes behind the scenes …. he could be, and I suspect he is, a very generous guy. Roger did try to help Ivanovic and her issues with confidence last year, so was reported. Meanwhile, I have no doubt Rafa was a very close second! With his growing english vocab, next year perhaps Rafa could take the ‘double’!